Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people curl one arm at a time? page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Why do people curl one arm at a time?

Primal Fuel
    I don't see the precedent for why people doing curls are only doing one arm at a time. Isn't that asymmetry hard on the back? I've always done both arms at once, so my upper back doesn't wobble to the left and right. Anybody know why so many people are doing one arm at a time? Doesn't that damage the spine?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    The same reason they don't use a barbell, they don't know any better
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I don't know, it's like they are trained to do it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

HelloMeteor is offline Member
    Asymmetry is not a bad thing. If you work on keeping your core tight, you're giving your abs a workout.

I often do single arm shoulder presses with a barbell.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    It creates a moment arm that must be resisted by the abdominal muscles (not just rectus abdominus, but all those that are sometimes referred to as "the core"), but I don't think that's the rationale behind it. It's just Men's Health/Bodybuilding.com junk. They should use a barbell, like Fernaldo says. Just not in the power cage.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    unilateral exercises are awesome. plain and simple. I do plenty of 1 arm db overhead presses, db snatches, kb snatches (when I have access to kettlebells), and kb swings (1 arm is the only safe way to do them). on my "pull" days (deadlift, pullups, chin-ups, rows) I sometimes finish up with some db curls, hammer curls, and even a giant drop set of curls. I don't make these exercises the core of my training, but they definitely have a place.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    unilateral exercises are awesome. plain and simple. I do plenty of 1 arm db overhead presses, db snatches, kb snatches (when I have access to kettlebells), and kb swings (1 arm is the only safe way to do them). on my "pull" days (deadlift, pullups, chin-ups, rows) I sometimes finish up with some db curls, hammer curls, and even a giant drop set of curls. I don't make these exercises the core of my training, but they definitely have a place.
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with unilateral exercises (as assistance work) in general, I just think curling a barbell is a better exercise than curling a dumbbell if you're only going to do 1 kind of curl (which is 1 more than most people need to be doing).

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with unilateral exercises (as assistance work) in general, I just think curling a barbell is a better exercise than curling a dumbbell if you're only going to do 1 kind of curl (which is 1 more than most people need to be doing).
    you mean I don't have to do 25 sets of db curls to get huuuuge gunz? that's not what the june issue of FLEX magazine said
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you mean I don't have to do 25 sets of db curls to get huuuuge gunz? that's not what the june issue of FLEX magazine said
    Forget FLEX magazine. If you wanna get the 22's, you gotta follow the CT Fletcher method:
    I Command you to Grow! Biceps/Arm Day with CT Fletcher - YouTube

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Why curl when you can do pullups and chinups?
    Curling has a place as a finishing exercise but the Men's Health group take it way too far.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast