Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with the stomach fat page

dvuong is offline Junior Member

Need help with the stomach fat

Primal Fuel
    I completed a Whole30 about 2 months ago and have been Paleo about 80/20 since. I will usually have one cheat day a week. I've dropped about 5 pounds since I started the Whole30 and eating Paleo. I'm at a normal weight (5'2", 123lbs, F, 27yo) but would still like to drop another 10 pounds or so.

I've been struggling with losing inches around my waist. I've noticed my pants fitting looser around my hips and butt but for the life of me, I just cannot get my waist to get smaller. I've maybe lost about 1/2 inch at the most. I'm guilty of chronic cardio but I am a runner and really find joy running long distances.

I have a pretty good diet outside of my cheat day. I usually eat 2-4 servings of veggies, 4-6 ounces of meat, and some fat at every meal. I eat 3x a day. What do you guys think I need to do to get rid of the stomach? I realize there is no spot reduction but I'm starting to get pretty frustrated.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I'm guilty of chronic cardio but I am a runner and really find joy running long distances.
    OK... this.
    Probably needs to stop. Chronic cardio is a great way to get your body into a catabolic state. It's entirely possible to be a "normal weight" while having a high percentage of body fat, which will be demonstrated usually by waist measurement.

Lots of runners and chronic cardio addicts will have trouble with muscle tone, or even have trouble losing weight despite hundreds of calories burned on their run.

Add some resistance training, weights. Do your cardio, but do it through interval training and short bursts.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Oh my... that looks similar to me. I know your frustration! I'm 120 lbs at 5'5'' and its still not completely gone. Although, it is probably the best spot to have for a problem area -- except in bikini season.

I loathe the weights but pp is very right. There is one machine that looks like a seated machine but I stand with legs spread - one leg forward and one leg back and pull the heavy cable from behind me, pull it forward and across my body... all the way forward and you feel that stretch and feel it on your sides. This helps! I stopped using it for a couple of months and bam, the fat was there again. But overall toning helps too.

I have always believed it was from sugar and carbs so I would say stick with it and definitely tone up your whole body. You're so young it will come so much easier for you.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    See the steak and eggs thread.

Serious stomach flattener.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Buy some higher waist jeans. Seriously, those are not flattering on anyone over the age of 12.

If you can't *see* the whole muffin top, maybe you'll stop obsessing about it.

Oh, and have some patience. You can't drop fat overnight.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Z0oom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    See the steak and eggs thread.

Serious stomach flattener.
    This worked wonders for me

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Try obtain better quality sleep and reduce stress levels, both will help regulate elevated cortisol which contributes to central obesity.

A couple other suggestions, reduce/minimize alcohol and fructose consumption, both may help relieve the burden on the liver and reduce the risk of fatty liver disease.

Finally, maybe alternate long distance cardio with just sprinting. There has been a lot of information suggesting long duration, constant chronic cardio posing negative effects on cardiovascular health. However, if you enjoy it and the activity brings you some peace time, keep it up, just do not do it as frequently or as long a duration. Sprinting has shown positive correlation with reducing abdominal fat.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Decrease PUFAs (omega 3 & 6) and grains, eat gelatin with meat, increase carbs from fruit, and use coconut oil. Try Pilates or Tracy Anderson mat method.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I stopped running about 18 mths before adopting a primal/paleo diet and lost 7 - 10lbs just by doing that, (i.e. not replacing it with lifting or sprints) and I had metabolic damage from years of restrictive eating too. I would strongly advise you to try cutting out running for a while (as one might cut out a potentially problematic food), just to see if this is the cause.

This post may be of interest: How It All Came Together For Christina | Everyday Paleo

amyflood is offline Junior Member
    try any of the fasting methods.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast