Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with the stomach fat page 3

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Don't forget you are getting lots of water from your veggies andother sources as well

dvuong is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It sounds like to me you eat a rather high fat/very low carbohydrate diet. Given your photos, I would imagine that to be a mistake. The purpose of the thermometer is to test your thyroid. A diet of meat, vegetables and fat is very anti-thyroid. Unsaturated fats are anti-thyroid (nuts, liquid vegetable oils), green vegetables (especially crucifers) are anti-thyroid and a diet high in muscle meat but low in gelatinous meats are anti-thyroid. Pro-thyroid foods are fruits and sugars (honey, maple syrup, molasses), salt, saturated fats (coconut oil and grassfed dairy) and foods high in soluble fiber as they attach to estrogens and sweep them out of the body (raw carrots, white potatoes, bananas).

It sounds like to me you're eating a diet rich in unsaturated fats, low in sodium, low in starch and very low in sodium. Paired with a low calorie intake (1500 kcal), that's the perfect storm for hypothyroidism. Measuring your temperature immediately upon waking will give you your basal body temperature. Keep that thermometer next to your bed - don't even walk to the bathroom to get it because the activity will start waking you up. I would estimate your body temperature is in the 97's, and a degree when it comes to your body temperature is a massive difference in metabolic rate. Some low carb zealots idle in the 96's. Cold hands and feed abound!

Running all those miles on 1500 carbohydrate-free kcals must be a massive stressor as well.

I'd eat significantly less fat, eat more fruit and starch, banish nuts and liquid vegetable oils from my diet (cook only in coconut oil and pastured butter), run a lot less, switch those cardio days for heavy lifting days, start salting my food heavily, have a strong preference to ruminant meat instead of pork, fish or poultry and if your body temperature comes back low, consider taking a natural dessicated thyroid supplement like Raw Thyroid and Raw Adrenal.
    Wow, thank you for your reply. I guess I avoided fruit and starches because that was usually the prescription for people who needed to lose weight/cut fat on the paleo diet. Unless it's a heavy cardio day, my guess is I usually eat about 50-80 grams of carbs from vegetables. Can you help me figure out where I can cut fat from? I don't' eat nuts that often.. and so the fat I'm getting usually comes from coconut oil, ghee, and occasionally olive oil, and fats from meat.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvuong View Post
    Wow, thank you for your reply. I guess I avoided fruit and starches because that was usually the prescription for people who needed to lose weight/cut fat on the paleo diet. Unless it's a heavy cardio day, my guess is I usually eat about 50-80 grams of carbs from vegetables. Can you help me figure out where I can cut fat from? I don't' eat nuts that often.. and so the fat I'm getting usually comes from coconut oil, ghee, and occasionally olive oil, and fats from meat.
    Sure. Don't add fat to your foods. Get used to roasting, baking, braising and broiling. Eat leaner meats. Embrace the slow cooker - possibly the greatest kitchen gadget ever (next to my ice cream maker of course). I roast and braise most of my meats. I really only use pans to sear, and you can sear a 5 pound roast in 1 teaspoon of fat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Sure. Don't add fat to your foods. Get used to roasting, baking, braising and broiling. Eat leaner meats. Embrace the slow cooker - possibly the greatest kitchen gadget ever (next to my ice cream maker of course). I roast and braise most of my meats. I really only use pans to sear, and you can sear a 5 pound roast in 1 teaspoon of fat.
    Not that I'm doubting you as I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reply.. but I'm a little bit confused. Cutting fats and upping carbs seem to go against paleo/primal. I'm trying to stay within the carb curb.. <100 g carbs. Perhaps I'm not understanding the concept correctly?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Not that I'm doubting you as I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reply.. but I'm a little bit confused. Cutting fats and upping carbs seem to go against paleo/primal. I'm trying to stay within the carb curb.. <100 g carbs. Perhaps I'm not understanding the concept correctly?
    Primal means different things to different people. In my opinion, the ratio of things like fats/carbs/proteins can vary a lot from each individual. If one is not working for you, try something else. It's a good place to start, anyway. Primal is not necessarily about eating TONS OF FAT, but definitely more than the standard American diet would call for, and vice versa for carbs (lower than SAD).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Different people have found that different things work for them. Choco has the same advice for everybody: eat lots of carbs, avoid all fat.

He is an outlier.

It might work for you. No way would it work for me, as I couldn't stick to an essentially fat-free diet he recommends without going nuts and binging on heart-healthy saturated fat.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    If you suspect you have low thyroid (hypothyroid), cold hands & feet,low body temperature (there are a lot of other symptoms) get your TSH level checked. If it's high, test for Hashimoto's. Whatever you do, do not start treating yourself, find someone who is skilled at treating it, it is more complex than you might imagine.

I speak from experience, had all the symptoms of low thyroid and my doctor just dismissed them, I think mainly because I wasn't overweight ( I have pretty much the same body as you, only I'm much older). I too kept wondering why my fat persisted on my belly. I had my TSH checked and the doc said it was a little high but we'd check it again in 9 months. 9 months later my TSH was 3 times as high. In the meantime I'd been eating pretty faithfully low carb (not a big fan of fruit) and probably too much goitrogenic foods, I was also taking supplements that put fuel on the fire. Now I'm trying to find a doctor that has experience treating Hashimoto's.

BTW one thing I read in my search was that if you have Hashi's do not drink too much water.

I had my Thyroid levels checked recently because I was hypo for a short while. The doctor put me on a low dose of levothyroxine and after experiencing some side effects, he took me off of them. He checked my thyroid levels after I went off and they were normal. He's been monitoring me ever since. I was last checked at the beginning of the month and my TSH is 1.5, which is within normal range (0.450-4.5)

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Dvoung, sounds like you don't have hypothyroid so eating the low thyroid diet Choco suggested wouldn't apply to you.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I punched in my meals into MFP, and it looks like my Fat is 60-70g, Carb ~80g, Protein 80-100g on a regular non-cheat day. So.. I'm roughly 50% Fat, 30% protein, and 20% carb.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast