Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with the stomach fat page 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    I would suggest you cut back on the running and add in weight lifting or bodyweight exercises. It could be a hormonal issue and weight lifting has some serious benefits for righting that kind of thing.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Three things:

1.) Give us a typical day in your life. What do your meals look like? How many are there? Do you know the caloric content?

2.) What are your workouts? How often do you work out?

3.) Do you have a good thermometer? What is your body temperature immediately upon waking?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I would suggest you cut back on the running and add in weight lifting or bodyweight exercises. It could be a hormonal issue and weight lifting has some serious benefits for righting that kind of thing.
    My personal favorite is 3 days heavy lifting (Monday, Wednesday, Friday), 3 days fasted moderate cardio (35-45 mins, preferably low impact cycling instead of high impact running, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday), 1 day nothing (Sunday). Walk as much as possible every day, get lots of sun.

And do little things that add up over time. Park at the end of parking lots, always take the stairs instead of the elevator, take a walk around your office building right before and after lunch, every hour drink a pint of water at work so it forces you to get up from your desk to pee several times a day...these goofy little things add up.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

dvuong is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Three things:

1.) Give us a typical day in your life. What do your meals look like? How many are there? Do you know the caloric content?

2.) What are your workouts? How often do you work out?

3.) Do you have a good thermometer? What is your body temperature immediately upon waking?
    1) I eat 3 meals a day and each meal consists of: 2-4 servings of veggies sauteed in ~1 tbsp ghee/coconut oil and 4-6 ounces of meat. There might be some variation like, for lunch, I'll have a salad with some meat and 1/2 avocado or guacamole.. Or breakfast, for my protein I'll have 1 sausage and 1 egg. Some days, I will have a little bit of fruit or nuts to snack. My daily caloric intake is about 1500 calories, some days a little more if I'm hungry. Sometimes, I'll have extra veggies, so I can eat up to 1lb of veggies in 1 meal. Is that too much?

2) I have been a little inconsistent with working out for the past month or so but it's usually 3-5 days of running (3-6 miles and 1 long run) , 1 day of riding to work (25 miles), and I started to do some weight training but I sprained my arm recently and haven't been able to put any weight on it. I enjoy running 1/2 marathons and have run 1 marathon in the last year. Also, most of my runs are at a moderate aerobic level. I keep my heart rate around 75% unless I'm racing.

I drink plenty of water a day (1 gallon) so I also spend a lot of time getting up to use the bathroom. The bathroom is actually quite a distance from my office so I get up and walk at least once every hour.

3) I have a thermometer but I've never tried taking my temp unless I was sick. What does temperature indicate? I'll give that a shot.

I'm not sure if this is important info but when I was younger, I was extremely overweight. I lost about 40-50 pounds when I was in college from calorie restriction and exercise.
    Last edited by dvuong; 05-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.

I think you're drinking too much water. A gallon a day seems like way too much to me. Is this based on thirst? I mean, it's a long shot, maybe, but you could just be retaining some water.

dvuong is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I think you're drinking too much water. A gallon a day seems like way too much to me. Is this based on thirst? I mean, it's a long shot, maybe, but you could just be retaining some water.
    That's interesting. I thought you should be drinking more water to prevent water retention... I pee at least once every hour.

Initially, I started forcing myself to drink that much water but now I find that I'm always thirsty.

If you drink that much water and pee that frequently, it sounds like too much. You are perhaps low on salt and could be flushing it out with that volume of water. It's not JUST lots of water that could cause water retention. Electrolytes are a part of it and that includes salt. Sometimes too much or too little will have the same effect.

My doctor told me I should be going to the bathroom 4-6 times a day.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The research supporting the standard recommendation of 64oz per day for everybody is practically nonexistent.

Karapn is offline Member
    Hmmm - I believe I have always been told that for an average day you divide your weight by 2 to get your daily minimum of water (some of which can be in your food & other healthy drinks). By my calculation you should have 8 (8 oz) glasses of water on Sunday. I'm not sure you need an entire additional 8 glasses of water on your active days. I'd think though that you will be very thirsty if you just cut your daily gallon (16 glasses) to 8. But I'd try lowering it to 12 and see how you feel, but definitively try to get to 8 on your rest Sundays jmo.

Buddyslim.com weight loss blog<noscript>buddytslim</noscript>

Quote Originally Posted by dvuong View Post
    1) I eat 3 meals a day and each meal consists of: 2-4 servings of veggies sauteed in ~1 tbsp ghee/coconut oil and 4-6 ounces of meat. There might be some variation like, for lunch, I'll have a salad with some meat and 1/2 avocado or guacamole.. Or breakfast, for my protein I'll have 1 sausage and 1 egg. Some days, I will have a little bit of fruit or nuts to snack. My daily caloric intake is about 1500 calories, some days a little more if I'm hungry. Sometimes, I'll have extra veggies, so I can eat up to 1lb of veggies in 1 meal. Is that too much?

2) I have been a little inconsistent with working out for the past month or so but it's usually 3-5 days of running (3-6 miles and 1 long run) , 1 day of riding to work (25 miles), and I started to do some weight training but I sprained my arm recently and haven't been able to put any weight on it. I enjoy running 1/2 marathons and have run 1 marathon in the last year. Also, most of my runs are at a moderate aerobic level. I keep my heart rate around 75% unless I'm racing.

I drink plenty of water a day (1 gallon) so I also spend a lot of time getting up to use the bathroom. The bathroom is actually quite a distance from my office so I get up and walk at least once every hour.

3) I have a thermometer but I've never tried taking my temp unless I was sick. What does temperature indicate? I'll give that a shot.

I'm not sure if this is important info but when I was younger, I was extremely overweight. I lost about 40-50 pounds when I was in college from calorie restriction and exercise.
    It sounds like to me you eat a rather high fat/very low carbohydrate diet. Given your photos, I would imagine that to be a mistake. The purpose of the thermometer is to test your thyroid. A diet of meat, vegetables and fat is very anti-thyroid. Unsaturated fats are anti-thyroid (nuts, liquid vegetable oils), green vegetables (especially crucifers) are anti-thyroid and a diet high in muscle meat but low in gelatinous meats are anti-thyroid. Pro-thyroid foods are fruits and sugars (honey, maple syrup, molasses), salt, saturated fats (coconut oil and grassfed dairy) and foods high in soluble fiber as they attach to estrogens and sweep them out of the body (raw carrots, white potatoes, bananas).

It sounds like to me you're eating a diet rich in unsaturated fats, low in sodium, low in starch and very low in sodium. Paired with a low calorie intake (1500 kcal), that's the perfect storm for hypothyroidism. Measuring your temperature immediately upon waking will give you your basal body temperature. Keep that thermometer next to your bed - don't even walk to the bathroom to get it because the activity will start waking you up. I would estimate your body temperature is in the 97's, and a degree when it comes to your body temperature is a massive difference in metabolic rate. Some low carb zealots idle in the 96's. Cold hands and feed abound!

Running all those miles on 1500 carbohydrate-free kcals must be a massive stressor as well.

I'd eat significantly less fat, eat more fruit and starch, banish nuts and liquid vegetable oils from my diet (cook only in coconut oil and pastured butter), run a lot less, switch those cardio days for heavy lifting days, start salting my food heavily, have a strong preference to ruminant meat instead of pork, fish or poultry and if your body temperature comes back low, consider taking a natural dessicated thyroid supplement like Raw Thyroid and Raw Adrenal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast