Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fat fast to get appetite under control? page

aprimalmomma is online now Senior Member

fat fast to get appetite under control?

Shop Now
    I'm thinking of doing a fat fast for the next 2 days to try and get my appetite under control...I have been insatiable lately and today I probably ate more than twice my usual calories....1lb of ground beef 1c tomatosauce, 6 eggs 4 tb kerrygold butter, 4 tb cream, spinach, asparagus, 2-3ozkerrygold cheese...and I'm not a big person...looking to lose last 5lbs...but I love fat...kerrygold butter, bacon and cream. I envy all those people who say they aren't hungry forget to eat etc...I am always thinking about my next meal or trying to hold off but once I start eating i am ravenous...I did a fat fast once a while ago and remember feeling freed from this raging appetite...can anyone share their experience...do you think this will help me get my appetite under control....?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It might help. Give it a try. I once planned a fat fast for a couple of days while traveling. I ended up eating macadamia nuts when I couldn't get real food and lost a few pounds before I got home.

When I do a fat fast I eat only foods that bring my fat percent over 90% on any given day. It isn't really a fat fast if you're eating protein foods and dipping down to 75%. Record and calculate everything.

Funny you should mention travelling...I'm leaving thurs night to visit my sister for the holiday weekend...so i figured a fat fast today and tomorrow would simplify food prep for the plane...it will be hard to overeat at her house as she keeps no junk and has nothing but legumes rice and tea in her pantry lol

My meal plan for the ff is 7tb of kerrygold butter...4tb gf heavy cream split over 2 coffees and 3 hb eggs for "dinner"...95% fat...5% protein...2 days of this then protein fat and veggies on 3 meal per day while on her schedule...then back to FF for monday's plane ride home...then I'll evaluate the results...might need to really focus on doing keto as i really need to get this every 3 day overeatingfest under control

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    My wife did it for 5 days just to see if she could drop weight. 1200 kCal / day, split into 4 to 5 "meals". I cannot call those meals, because it truly sucks to eat > 80% fat at each of these mini-meals. She dropped 7 lbs in 5 days. She regained most of them when she came back to normal meals, even at 2 or 1 meal / day. I think it was mostly a water weight fluctuation ...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you do not satiate on fat, fat fast will not help. I tried fat fast on macadamia nuts and coconut oil (essentially pure fat) and by 2-3 pm I was driven crazy and ran for proteins.

On the other hand, when I added fiber back in form of avocados (1 avocado a day), sweet potatoes and bulk vegetables and started to take glucomannan, my appetite went down to a manageable level. My satiation mechanism relies on proteins and fiber, rather than on fat. Sure, I need more than 10% fat (more like 30-50%), but the VLC is not satiating for me.

My appetite also goes up when I eat sugars and fructose, including any dairy products, which you seem to be eating a whole lot of.

It is nothing to be ashamed of.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    My experience on fat fasts has been that it knocks my SUGAR CRAVINGS down to zero. I don't recall much affect on general appetite(quantity), though. I usually have liverwurst, cream cheese, macadamias, pork rinds with sour cream, egg salad.

Meal 1 was 2tb cream in my coffee and 1tb butter...4hrs later repeated that meal and feel totally sated...dont know if it is because i overate yesterday or because this works for me...

I do know that resisting carbs is not a problem for me, but overeating protein and fat is...the kerrygold can call to me from the fridge so I figured if I ate 7tb a day either i would feel great or get repulsed by it and then maybe able to resist it in future...i once od' on coconut oil and now even the sight of the jar in the supermarket makes me queasy.

Thinking my overeating of protein led to too much glucose via glucogenesis leading to my insatiable hunger...thinking long term I might do best on a 75/20/5 ratio...is that sustainable??

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you do not satiate on fat, fat fast will not help. I tried fat fast on macadamia nuts and coconut oil (essentially pure fat) and by 2-3 pm I was driven crazy and ran for proteins.
    The Atkins protocol for the fat fast is to consume 1000 calories a day of 90% or more fat. I personally would not start a fat fast unless I was sure I had been eating plenty of protein in the previous few days. I doubt I could go more than 3 days on an essentially protein-free diet without a meat binge.

As far as "satiate", it means different things to different people. Consuming an excess of calories as fat would no doubt be bad for weight loss.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Remember that fat has a different digestion pathway than proteins and carbs so its satiating effect is delayed. Protein is the most immediately satiating macro as far as I know.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I'm like Leida; I don't find fat to be very satiating at all. I also don't experience any appetite suppression in ketosis. This is why the whole LCHF thing doesn't work well for me. I've tried the fat fast multiple times. For a while I was doing it two days a week to help me get into ketosis fast after a weekend of carb refeed. It did nothing for me except make me lose water weight, feel miserable, and binge after the fast is over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast