Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fat fast to get appetite under control? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The Atkins protocol for the fat fast is to consume 1000 calories a day of 90% or more fat. I personally would not start a fat fast unless I was sure I had been eating plenty of protein in the previous few days. I doubt I could go more than 3 days on an essentially protein-free diet without a meat binge.
    That's the one I was trying, after hearing people go on and on how they were totally not hungry on 1000 cals a day of fat. So, I ate my 600 cals of fat by 2-3 pm, and started chewing my desk, unable to concentrate at work. Happened every time I tried (I tried 3 or 4 times). I tried with only coconut oil, 1 tbsp at a time, I tried with macadamia nuts and black coffee, chewing each nut for eternity. I surely don't get magically full because I ate a tablespoon of coconut oil, like all the good folk who goes: "OMG, I had coffee with cream, and I couldn't look at supper!"
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It's essentially a mono diet. I recall being hungry. But it was inconvenient to eat, and I knew I'd only be doing it for a few days max.

I think monodiets are supposed to bore you into not eating.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    In his book, Dr. Atkins suggests that the fat fast only be used as a TEMPORARY measure. So, three days sounds good. I usually do 2, and the longest I have ever made it was 5. My reasons for doing it have been to break a plateau, or to reduce my cravings after some extended 'bad' eating.

The USDA guidelines for protein put the minimum for adult women(which I think most of us on this thread are) at 46g daily. If you did 100K of protein, 900K fat, that would be 25g of protein. Half the minimum, but for a few days, not outrageous. I agree, that having good protein before (and after) would be ideal.

On that note, I think doing a fat fast coming from a low carb and/or primal food plan, is much easier than trying to do it from SAD. I would never try that- seems like it would be setting yourself up for some hard, if not to say downright nasty, days.

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    Day 1of my FF has been amazing...I have no hunger, completely forget about food and am not obsessing about when I'm going to eat...what freedom! I also am an energizer bunny! Now I understand when people say they forget to eat or realize all of a sudden it is dinner, etc...I is 6:40 pm and I have only had 600 calories...and I'm totally not hungry...usually I'm diving for the fridge the moment I get home around 4...

I've been busy packing and will eat those 400 calories before bed so I dont set myself up for a bad day tomorrow, but this feeling is amazing!!! My FF is only for 2 days...today and tomorrow while I'm travelling (plane ride)...so as long as I make it through all the temptations at the airport, I should be good...then 3 days of just protein fat and veggies and then FF for the return flight day...after that will gradually increase protein, veggies and decrease fat so my ratios are more like 70/25/5...clearly carbs even those from just veggies stimulate my appetite...

hope tomorrow goes as well...

and I still love kerrygold butter

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post
    ...thinking long term I might do best on a 75/20/5 ratio...is that sustainable?
    That's exactly what I eat and have done for quite a long time. Yes, it is very sustainable.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    If by "fat fast" we mean eating fat and protein, but zero carbs, yes that eliminates any sensation of hunger for me.

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    PB - do you experience a blunted appetite eating this way?

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thumbs up for you! Go girl!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post
    PB - do you experience a blunted appetite eating this way?

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I don't think of it as "blunted" rather as back to what a human normally should have. I generally eat one main meal in the evening with some incidental calories during the day such as coconut cream in my tea or a glass of kefir.

I think having a three meal a day appetite is an invention of the carb dominated metabolism.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also, remember, everyone is different.

Eating lots of fat DOES blunt my sugar cravings, but it does not blunt my overall hunger at all. The only reason a fat fast works for me is that the food becomes so unappealing so quickly that I really don't want to eat.

Personally, flat out fasting is the only thing that seems to blunt my hunger. The second I start eating, i want to eat more. So, for me, using the 1PM to 7PM eating window and fasting the rest of the day has been my best method of controlling my caloric intake. (I eat typical paleoish fare during that period.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast