Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairly New to Primal/Paleo, can you make sure I'm doing everything right? page

surgix is offline Junior Member

Fairly New to Primal/Paleo, can you make sure I'm doing everything right?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

Ok lets face it, I'm getting married and I didn't want to look like a complete slob at the wedding, so I made a change about 3.5 weeks ago to do Crossfit and Primal/Paleo.

So first off a little background, I'm 6'2" and did NOT grow up playing sports or anything like that, have pretty much little to no upper body strength, and ate whatever for a long time. I used to sit down at a desk job all day and watch tv in the evenings. I started 3.5 weeks ago at about 236 lbs.

So 3.5 weeks in I LOVE cross fit, I mean holy crap did it kick my ass, sore for a week or two, but I really enjoy the team atmosphere and its so hard but fun at the same time. I also started Primal/Paleo at the same time which I also LOVE, the food is great, have tons of energy, good stuff.

Now I am not doing it just for weight loss, I want to overall be fit muscle and all. But I'm coming up on 4 weeks and I have gained a pound and I am at 237.

I know what your going to say, read the forums, it happens to everyone! Ok I agree that muscle weighs more than fat, I understand I am not supposed to look at the scale, but here are my questions:

1. Am I doing it right? Anything you see I could do better? I want to make sure I continue but doing it as efficiently as I can.

2. Am I not losing weight because the lack of muscle I had previously is causing my body to build way more muscle than losing fat? I'm not looking for like 10-20 lbs dropped or anything, but SOMETHING? I mean I am about 40 lbs overweight, and I read about people losing 10-15 lbs in the first month or two. I am definitely stronger, and my clothes are fitting slightly better. Thoughts? Again it was a lifestyle change for me, not like I'm going to stop, just want to continue doing it correctly.

3. I was pre-diabetic, and my cholesterol/triglycerides were slightly higher earlier in the year, do you believe based on my diet below my numbers will get better?

Exercise: Crossfit 3x a week, occasional workouts in between (running, crappy pushups/pullups, sit-ups)

Diet:
    Ok I'm lazy I eat the same things over and over... anyway, ALL my meat is from a local farm/butcher, all grass fed meat, farm fresh eggs, no nitrate no sugar no sodium bacon, very clean meats.

Breakfast:
    coffee with 1 oz of half and half
    3 slices of fairly thick cut bacon
    3 eggs sunny side up cooked in the bacon fat

Lunch:
    On the weekend I make a tub of a mixture of 2 lbs of ground sirloin, 1 lbs of ground pork, and 1 lbs of ground turkey, and a couple of steamed veggie bags of green beans, broccoli, carrots, whatever I got at the time. So I take a tupperware of that for lunch probably... 10 oz maybe? Also throughout the day I eat a apple, a pear, and a ziplock of mixed nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. EVERYDAY. I think I may be eating too much nuts so i'm going to try and cut them out and substitute with more meat.

Dinner:
    Either more ground meat whatever you call that, chicken, or on fancy days steak or pork chop usually with a veggie like asparagus or whatever.

I've cheated (besides the half and half) once when I went to a hibachi place and dipped some chicken in that god damn great shrimp sauce stuff (i mean i was was chinsy on it, tried to cut back as much as possible), and 1 night I had a whole bottle of wine, but thats it.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide and look forward to hearing from your experiences.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Looks like you're off to a good start but what you really need to do is plug all your food into a nutrition calculator on a website calculator like Livestrong.com - under "my plate" and there it will keep track of your daily carbs/fat/protein intake and it gives you your ratios in a PIE chart just like Mark shows on his sample menu page.

I've been reading this website like crazy but I think I need to bite the bullet and buy the book. There is endless info. For instance, someone told me today to go easy on the nuts - 2oz a day we're allowed. So sad for me!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Surgix! Your approach sounds fine. You might try cutting back a little on the snacking. Try to stick to 2 or 3 meals a day.

The 1/2 and 1/2 is fine if you can do dairy. I do heavy cream.

Those few cheats in 3.5 weeks are very reasonable.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I agree, it sounds like you are making a very good start. Keep up the good work, you are already feeling the results in your body and fit of your clothes, don't panic about the scale.

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like you're doing things well.

Don't look strictly for weight loss though. If you've been fairly light on the muscle side of things, expect to gain muscle. What you really should be measuring is your waist, and your strength. If those two things are improving, your weight is irrelevant. Especially doing a Crossfit workout, your strength will definitely improve.

When it comes to your diet, I'd say be careful with the nuts, because they're easy to overload on them. Also, cut out the apple and the pear. They're definitely healthier than a Snickers bar or a bowl of "healthy whole grain" cereal, but they're also a bit higher in terms of glycemic load. Replace those fruits with some raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries. Those are not only lower in terms of GL, but also pack some good fiber as well.

Also, cut out the seeds. Lots of PUFAs in those. If you have to replace them with something, go for macadamia nuts. Tasty and filling and heavy on MUFAs.

By the way, don't beat yourself up over "cheats." You have to keep in mind that this is not a temporary diet, its a lifestyle. The only way that dipping something in a sauce, or drinking a bottle of wine is a cheat is if you told yourself that you'll never have those things again. I can't imagine you did that. You have to live a little. A bottle of wine, or a "bad" sauce with dinner won't derail your entire way of life. But if those become a regular thing, as opposed to an occassional thing, that is where the damage will occur.

Good job though, keep up the good work. Stick with what you're doing, and you likely won't be disappointed with the long term results. Just keep in mind, results do take time. Anything that promises to give you what you want in 5 minutes is probably a scam, and often times worse than what you're trying to change.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    how big is the ziploc bag with nuts in? it might be worth weighing them. They are deceptive there's 876 calories in 1 cup of Mixed Nuts

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Good Job! Looks like you're doing well. Get and read the book.

Overtime, as you learn more, you will undoubtedly be tweeking your food. Lots of good things can be added, like bone broth. But just keep at it. Have you had any 'carb-flu' symptons?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Julie - Thanks for the reply, I put my typical food in that nutrition tracker and my carbs were around 90 grams, which in Marks book says to keep at 0-50 grams for highest weight loss, so I'm going to cut back on the more carb-y fruit. My protein was right on track, and my fat intake was pretty high but I think thats normal. I agree I think you should buy the book, not only informational but its good for reference when you have questions.

Hedonist2 - Thanks! I agree i've been grazing and don't realize how much I eat, I'm cutting the nuts out for a little while and replacing it with more meat and maybe a bit of avocado with my meal and suck down as much water as possible.

Annieh - Thanks!, I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right path for this lifestyle change, i don't want to be months in and realize I could have done better.

primalmedic413 - Thanks for the info! I totally agree I'm switching to blueberries and strawberries, also it works out better because I'm stupid lazy so cutting the top off the strawberries is too much work so i'll eat less!! I may try the macadamia nuts once I add nuts back in, do avocado's have MUFA? I agree with the cheating, but I have my bachelor party, wedding, and 3 weeks in thailand coming up, besides doing cross fit while i'm there, not sure what I can do about the food...

carbdodger - Hey! Ya i wasn't measuring or anything and was using the nuts as my chips or something i can grab whenever I want, I would fill the ziplock bag up to a inch probably, which could easily be a cup. I'm definitely cutting out nuts for a bit to see how that affects me and switching fruit to (less) strawberry and blueberries.

cryptocode - Thanks crypto, honestly before you asked I had no idea what a "carb-flu" was, I just looked it up. I HAD THE WORST restless leg type of symptoms, it was horrible, I couldn't sleep most nights, I ended up using advil PM to get a decent night sleep. I didn't tie that to the diet at all, I figured it was the intense working out from cross-fit and the soreness, but I've been sore before and this was nothing like that. As for the rest, I didn't have any issues with headaches or light headed-ness. I did have a lot less energy for a little bit, but nothing too bad. Also when I told my fiancÚ to bring home vitamins (at the time thought magnesium might help my legs), she came back with the GNC Sport vitapaks, which I stopped taking after a week or two, but really helped me with energy when it was down switching to the new foods.
    Last edited by surgix; 05-22-2013 at 03:20 PM.

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    I definitely recommend cutting out snacking between meals. You may also want to see how you respond to some intermittent fasting.

Hey Smartuko, do you have any suggestions for intermittent fasting? Are you saying skipping meals or longer periods? Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast