Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Witty response needed.... page 2

MattyH is offline Junior Member
    I agree with MagicMerl - no one wants to be lectured by a zealot, be it diet, religion, or all those loooong talks I got from my parents on how I was throwing myself away on an engineering degree. (But where were they when I was dating that cute doctor with the drinking problem?). So when anyone asks me I say "I try to stay away from sugary stuff and processed foods". Anyone who wants to know more than that can ask.

Lecture over :-)

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    My witty response would have been: I thought comedians were suppose to be funny. That statement, regardless of diet, is just dumb.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    i laughed
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I thought it was funny myself. Someone could do a whole routine about paleo eating without offending anyone.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    The comedian Pete Holmes on Twitter: "If a caveman from the Paleolithic era saw you turn down a cupcake because youre on the "Paleo Diet," he'd kill you with a sharpened seashell"
    It's not even funny. It doesn't "work" as a joke .. because why would he want to kill you?

If he'd said the "caveman" would have said, "Thanks, I'll have that if you don't want it." I'd have laughed.

I'd have laughed because that's probably what would have happened, and to that extent it does kind of "put paleo in its place". I don't think the scene in Dances with Wolves where people from a hunting culture gratefully accept offered biscuits and coffee heavily laced with sugar is far from the truth.

Of course, the culture they'd have accepted it from used to loot Indian burial grounds for perfect teeth to use for false teeth to replace their own rotted teeth. As well as "palefaces" an Indian name for whites was "blackteeth". But that's another story ...

If you wanted to be a smart-aleck, you could say, "Who made the cupcake?" But does an unfunny wisecrack really need an "answer"?
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-22-2013 at 11:38 AM.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Trolling for comebacks because you lack the ability to think quickly?
    Not exactly witty... just sayin'.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Green Deane Guest
    I think calling him a commedian is where the problem lies.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    The reasons for doing this diet are endless but even so it can still be difficult to explain it to people, hence I was interested to know what people's response to this disdainful comment would be, and they're all different so thanks for your replies.

oh, and does anyone have a witty response to Keith Powers? I can't think of anything.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I think Mark made a joke in his book about how if Grok were here today, he'd be face down in a box of doughnuts faster than you could say boo. I don't see any need to respond to this, it's funny because it's true.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "would the caveman recognise that as food?"

Not really funny though.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast