Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discouraging doctor visit, need some advice? page

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member

Discouraging doctor visit, need some advice?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I should have expected it. I went to see my GP about the weakness in my muscles, the low blood sugar episodes after eating and to ask for another blood test (I had one before going LC a few weeks ago, everything was normal). She refused a blood test, and said it was the diet. She based her views on the results of the last blood test and said vegetables were not carbohydrates (I held my breath) and that I should be eating grains, bread, rice, starches, fruit etc. She said me eliminating sugar from my diet is causing the low blood sugar levels. So, here I am, discouraged and pretty unmotivated with no answers. I know I have to figure it out myself but I don't want to face any consequences or mess up my progress. Hopefully some of you can give me some better and more practical advice.

For the past month I have eliminated sugar, grains, starches and fruit. I've increased my carbs from 20g to 30g and always maintained my protien around 120g and fat around 150g (averaging 1800-2200 cals daily). I know limiting vegetables to that amount can cause some nutritional deficiencies which might explain my low energy levels and fatigue (I initially aimed for ketosis but realised it was not sustainable neither suitable for me) as well as my poor circulation and numbness issues. My blood sugar levels are also concerning, after eating or in the mornings I'd wake up very disoriented/dizzy/slurred speech. An hour of eating, I can't seem to function normally and I start getting anxious/worried/tired. I don't feel alert, like I'm unaware, numb. I've never had such issues before and I'm not a diabetic, even after eating a little pasta or rice with the insulin spikes I would be slightly tired but still able to at least jump off the sofa and hold a conversation. I feel like I'm gonna pass out and need to lie down immediately. How can I avoid this? By simply eating more carbs, starchy vegetables/fruit? I eat 15g of carbs a meal and feel like this even with all the protein and fat.

My concern is with my ratios. I want to increase my carbs. Should I increase slowly, for example, 5g a week? I am planning to reach 50g of (net) carbs eventually.I've also stalled, so should I increase the carbs or decrease the calories? Also when increasing carbs, should I limit fat intake? Because I know a close ratio percentage of both would lead to weight gain, so is still consuming 150g of fat with 50g of carbs risky? Would being at a calorie deficit help much? I'm also currently having appetite control issues despite the low carbohydrate consumption, so will going higher reduce appetite or just trigger cravings and weight gain? I just need to find out whether to balance out the fat and carb intake or just maintain fat and safely increase carbs to 40-50g.

I'm a male, 23, 5'9 and 130 lbs. I cardio 5-6 times a week for 40 mins. So far I've lost 12 lbs and want to maintain/lose a little fat while still feeling great. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Last edited by Mikee5; 05-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    I'm a male, 23, 5'9 and 130 lbs. I cardio 5-6 times a week for 40 mins. So far I've lost 12 lbs and want to maintain/lose a little fat while still feeling great. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    See a psy for an ED?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    See a psy for an ED?
    I was 210 lbs and happy at my weight, just want to lose some fat and maybe gain muscle. I don't have an ED.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Just eat more carbs. We don't have the answers, you have to experiment. I would say, start having a couple of sweet potatoes everyday at least and stop counting. Also, I would suggest you stop doing cardio and start lifting weights. Also read the book the Primal Blueprint because it doesn't seem like you have.

And see Oxide's advice. Unless that was a typo, you are pretty severely underweight.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Please increase your carbs. Primal is not a low carb way of eating. Are you trying to be in ketosis for some reason? Because there is no reason to shy away from carbs. Eat fruit. Eat vegetables. Can you tolerate starches? Eat rice and potatoes.

Do you have a small body frame? Because 130 lbs sounds underweight for someone your age and size. Also.....too much cardio. Do you lift?

And I would get another doctor. Your doctor doesn't know that vegetables have carbohydrates.
    Last edited by little vase; 05-21-2013 at 04:47 PM.

DonJulio is offline Junior Member
    Good gawd!!!

EAT!

I'm 5'8" 175 pounds...the MOST I could lose is maybe 10 pounds...but right now, at 175 pounds, I'm a pretty fit guy with visible abs.

Eat eat eat.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Eat some goddamn carbs already. You mentioned in another thread you were hesitant with fruit as it may trigger a binge and that's fair enough. But eat some squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips instead. You're a young, otherwise healthy (if underweight) male...why the irrational carb fearing??
    Most of the threads you've started in the last week have all garnered replies that you need to eat more carbs. A hundred grams a day won't kill you...or make you obese. You've already received the answer to this question dozens of times this week, so why the resistance?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    See a psy for an ED?
    Everybody with those stats has weak muscles. Double the protein and fats, increase the carbs to 150/day, and do some heavy squats.

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Eat some goddamn carbs already. You mentioned in another thread you were hesitant with fruit as it may trigger a binge and that's fair enough. But eat some squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips instead. You're a young, otherwise healthy (if underweight) male...why the irrational carb fearing??
    Most of the threads you've started in the last week have all garnered replies that you need to eat more carbs. A hundred grams a day won't kill you...or make you obese. You've already received the answer to this question dozens of times this week, so why the resistance?
    I was asking about the fat and carb balance, because if both are relatively high it would be a calorie overload.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    I was asking about the fat and carb balance, because if both are relatively high it would be a calorie overload.
    A calorie overload accompanied by heavy lifting will result in gain in lean muscle mass, which is what you need.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast