Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High LDL cholesterol page

AJR
    AJR is offline Junior Member

High LDL cholesterol

Ugh - took a little step back with the doc today. My LDL went from 90 to 180 over a year. He said otherwise my health is very good (bp 120 over 70, HDL rose from 50 to 73 over same time period). Been doing primal for 3 months now and given that all the other factors look good he thinks it might be diet. Maybe too much animal protein so doc suggested back down a bit, cut back on dairy (although it's not that much - a little feta cheese with breakfast and while milk cottage cheese a few times a week). I looked back over my numbers and I'm averaging 180-200 g of protein daily (same for fat) so cutting back won't hurt appetite-wise too much...

I'm 6-1 218 lbs 40 year old male and pretty active - walk 5 hrs a week off more, paddle surf 2-3x a week, lift weights 2x a week, and a weekly 15' high intensity workout (usually). Plus chasing my 2 year old and bouncing a fussy 3 month old often...

Anyone know if any natural supplements will help? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    AJR,

Did you work out the night before or on the morning, but before, your blood was drawn?

Did your doctor check CRP or homocysteine levels?

What were your triglyceride readings?

The BP of 120/70...are you on medication? If not that is awesome and if you regularly take BP and the averages are anywhere close to that, gives a more appropriate reflection of your baseline BP.

AJR
    I did standup paddlesurf for 1.5 hours that morning before my blood work. No medication for blood pressure (6 years ago I got off both bp and cholesterol meds). I'll have to get a copy of the lab work to answer the rest...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    You are basically in the same boat as me, although you exercise much more . I personally think that you have nothing to worry about, but if you want to worry anyway and lower your cholesterol, just reduce your dairy fats, which will lower both your LDL and HDL. It won't make you healthier though.

p.s. The primer in my sig has good info.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    In the absence of inflammation high cholesterol is a sign of good health (within reason). There is no disputing that if you really read the literature. Curious what your trigs are at.....

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Q: do doctors even know what LDL is measuring? Or what a good LDL number is?

They don't have a control group.

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Get the rest of your lipid numbers. Good ratios to look at are total-to-HDL cholesterol (under 5 = good, under 3.5 = excellent). Also trigs-to-HDL is another great number, shooting for a ratio of 1 or less will put you in outstanding health. If your doctor is really worried about your LDL cholesterol, ask for an LDL particle count. If your LDL particle count isn't high, your LDL cholesterol is pretty much irrelevant.

m.s
    m.s is offline Junior Member
    AJR:

Just curious, did you happen to change the type or amount of salt that you use?

When I started eating primal, I stopped using iodized salt and started using Himalayan pink salt. I had my cholesterol tested four months after starting primal and my LDL had gone up dramatically. I then read that iodine deficiency can cause increased LDL, so I started back with iodized salt and added a couple of kelp tablets per day. My LDL dropped back to normal in a month.

My wife had a history of high cholesterol and she had avoided salt for years. So, I got her using iodized salt and the kelp tablets and her total cholesterol went from 250 to 198 in one month.

AJR
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No - no change in type or quantity of salt...

Bloodwork results:
    Total cholesterol 266
    HDL 73
    Trigs 52
    LDL 183
    Chol/HDLC ratio 3.6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast