Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High LDL cholesterol page 2

Michiel is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I just saw the movie on YouTube called Statin Nation, you should too. Cholesterol has no meaning for your hearth or health in the way you think probably.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    No - no change in type or quantity of salt...

Bloodwork results:
    Total cholesterol 266
    HDL 73
    Trigs 52
    LDL 183
    Chol/HDLC ratio 3.6
    Right, so if we convert them to ratios, here's how it breaks down:
    TotC/HDL = 3.6 (ideally < 5)
    Trig/HDL = 0.7 (ideally < 2)
    LDL/HDL = 2.5 (ideally < 4.3)

I'll let you interpret those results yourself.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Your ratios are solid. To be completely sure, get an LDL particle count.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmedic413 View Post
    Your ratios are solid. To be completely sure, get an LDL particle count.
    I agree...totally solid ratios. Trigs are also significantly low. Good going.

BP is usually my number 1 measure for cardiovascular health. Some medical reports are stating that BP is the number 1 factor in long healthy life.

Anyways, if I was someone with those numbers I would not be worrying too much. Also, irregardless of the numbers, if you lead a lifestyle low in uncontrolled stress, low in excessive/unmanageable inflammation, that's the keys to preventing heart attacks, strokes.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    I'm more or less in the same boat. Had my bloodwork done -- all is excellent except for LDL cholesterol. And yes, I had a particle count done and it's high. Specifically:

LDL-P 1905 (that's about 95% percentile)
    LDL-C 160
    APO-B 120

TC 250

The rest is pretty much perfect

TG 51
    HDL-C 80
    LDL pattern A
    small LDL-P is only 149
    HDL-P 37

My BP is normal, my inflammation markers are low, my glucose/insulin is fine.

I am well aware of the variety of sources which say cholesterol numbers don't matter. However I am also aware of a variety of sources which say they do.

AJR
    AJR is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone - this is a great education. Stress level is pretty low - job is boring, marriage is wonderful... the only stress is being a proud dad of a 2 year old and 3 month old sons...

What's scary is that traditional medicine thinks this number is high. With the recent moves to set insurance premiums based on the individual's numbers I get worried. I'm hoping it's a slow transition or many of its could get unfairly charged more because we're not consider "healthy"...

AJR
    AJR is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    I'm more or less in the same boat. Had my bloodwork done -- all is excellent except for LDL cholesterol. And yes, I had a particle count done and it's high. Specifically:

LDL-C 160
    APO-B 120

TC 250

TG 51
    HDL-C 80
    LDL pattern A
    small LDL-P is only 149
    HDL-P 37

I am well aware of the variety of sources which say cholesterol numbers don't matter. However I am also aware of a variety of sources which say they do.
    How long have you been primal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been primal?
    "Primal" is a very vague term. I have never eaten a Standard American Diet. Generally speaking, I eat lowish-carb with most carbs coming from fruits and vegetables. I avoid (not 100%) grains and almost never eat sugar. My diet is relatively high-protein (the usual beef, pork, chicken, etc.), the fats are what's attached to the meat plus some butter, some olive oil. I eat dairy but 80% of that is cream-spiked kefir that I make myself, the rest is cheese. I am lactose tolerant and gluten tolerant.

Oh, and I also do intermittent fasting. Not really by design, my life just works out to be structured this way. My last food of the day is around 8-9pm and then I don't eat until midday the next day.
    Last edited by Lumifer; 05-23-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    No - no change in type or quantity of salt...

Bloodwork results:
    Total cholesterol 266
    HDL 73
    Trigs 52
    LDL 183
    Chol/HDLC ratio 3.6
    With triglycerides under 100 the tendency is for LDL particle to the larger fluffy type. HDL above the standard 50 level also reinforces this trend for LDL type. (http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/cont...1/F1.large.jpg)

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post

LDL-C 160
    APO-B 120

TC 250

TG 51
    HDL-C 80
    LDL pattern A
    small LDL-P is only 149
    HDL-P 37

Yikes, Lumifer you ought to get tested for familial hypercholesterolemia. Thats an awfully high LDL-P!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast