Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hormone-Free Frozen chicken fillets (UK) page

SpearCarrier is offline Member

Hormone-Free Frozen chicken fillets (UK)

Primal Fuel
    I am looking for chicken fillets which contain no hormones/antibiotics etc but are cheap. I don't want organic because that will cost too much and I am struggling with cash right now... just as long as they don't contain nasty hormones and stuff.

I get some from Sainsburys from a brand called "Valley Foods" but I can't find any contact information and imagine they are very bad quality.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Hope everyone is well, I haven't been around much.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Best bet is to buy from a butcher. Most supermarket chicken is filled with trash.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I believe that in the US it is against the law to give hormones or steroids to chickens. So your basic CAFO chicken will be hormone-free, at least over here. It may not be antibiotic-free or soy-free, however. Perhaps the regulations are similar in the UK.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I second going to a butcher. You might be able to score a deal if you buy in bulk, too.

As far as store brands go, "hormone-free" and "antibiotic-free" are almost always used as selling points on packaging, so if it's not labeled as such, it's probably pretty nasty.
    Last edited by tarek; 05-21-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Our grain fed/lower quality chickens are not injected with hormones, just pumped with water, which is why they shrink when cooking them! It's not even legal to pump chickens up with steroids or inject them with hormones in the UK, however, their living conditions are pretty cramped. Unfortunately even our lowest quality fresh meat is still pricey.

For two organic chicken breast fillets it's 6.23!! Don't worry about buying organic or the best qualities of meat if you're on a tight budget, it's just preferred to eat an animal living in its natural conditions on Primal.

You're safe buying frozen chicken, just avoid breaded and check if any ingredients have been added. If you want fresh and organic, you're gonna have to stretch your budget. As a student, I try and stretch my budget to buy organic when I can but most of the time I buy any fresh meat, hormone and chemical free.

PS just a little advice, Sainsbury's sells expensive meat. Try Tesco or Asda, they also have more savings/offers to save you money in the long term.
    Last edited by Mikee5; 05-21-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Auglaise is offline Junior Member
    Is there a reason you're looking specifically for chicken breast fillets? I've found that boneless or even bone-in chicken drumsticks and thighs are much cheaper - and usually more flavourful! - than breast meat, and they're pretty widely available in my experience.

I'm a big advocate of supporting your local butcher, but I know you can get chicken drumsticks/thighs at Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury's - not sure about Asda, as I've never lived close enough to one to shop there regularly.

Another thing to consider might be to buy a whole chicken. My fiance and I occasionally get one in the meat box we get monthly (from the Well Hung Meat company, which has been fantastic for us), and it easily provides enough a minimum of four meals for the two of us. And then you can use the bones to make chicken stock as well, which is also excellent!

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Auglaise View Post
    I'm a big advocate of supporting your local butcher, but I know you can get chicken drumsticks/thighs at Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury's - not sure about Asda, as I've never lived close enough to one to shop there regularly.
    Buying from a butcher is more expensive than organic at a supermarket! That won't help this dude with his budget.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    Buying from a butcher is more expensive than organic at a supermarket! That won't help this dude with his budget.
    I don't find that, my local butcher does a pack of 25 free range chicken breasts for 25, working out at 5 per kilo.

I think the on the bone quarters are good value, cheaper and more flavoursome, plus you are getting some added nutrition from the bone and tendons etc whilst it cooks.

Whole chicken can be a good deal too. Growth hormones have been banned here for years, they just breed chickens that grow really quickly, not a great method of rearing poultry, and not that nice for the chooks either I doubt.

At least going to a butcher you can ask where the meat you buy is raised, is it local etc?

Turkey is often cheaper

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    I don't know which butcher you go to, but I find the opposite. I use several butchers here in Sussex and most have grass fed free range meat, including chicken. And a few pounds of bone in chicken thighs are very reasonable.

Even cheaper is to go to the farm which produces the chickens. I can get a bag of 12 large chicken wings for 1.50, a bag of around 3 lbs weight bone in chicken thighs for 2.50 and a whole, 5 lb weight chicken for around 10.

They also GIVE me chicken feet and carcasses free which make superb broth and stocks. Big bags of chicken livers for a couple of pounds.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I don't know which butcher you go to, but I find the opposite. I use several butchers here in Sussex and most have grass fed free range meat, including chicken. And a few pounds of bone in chicken thighs are very reasonable.
    where in Sussex are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast