Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbulance Training or Strong Lift 5x5? page

Nethru is offline Member

Turbulance Training or Strong Lift 5x5?

What would be better for cutting down the fat, add some muscle and getting in very good shape while adding strength?

I don't want to get HUGE or anything just in really good shape and add some definition to my muscles.
    Last edited by Nethru; 05-14-2010 at 07:30 PM.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Contrary to common belief, you can cut down fat and gain strength at the same time. Diet is most important, and if you don't want to "get huge" and haven't done any strength training before, I would indeed recommend some 5x5 sets of squats, pulldowns and pushups twice a week, but with a comfortable intensity. By that I mean that you shouldn't go to muscle failure, but adjust intensity so that you feel that although you're lifting heavy, you could have lifted a bit more. If you want to do 5x5 with maximum intensity, I would recommend that you do that only once a week. However, IMO this approach is most appropriate for people who want to get huge.

BTW: My secret weapon for the cutting down fat part is coconut oil ... it may sound incredible, but replacing butter with coconut oil can do wonders for your weight loss - and general health. It's because of the medium chain fatty acids that only coconut oil contains in large amounts (more than 60%).

PMAC is offline Member
    I would definitely do TT. Great starting point, great for fat loss and conditioning. You won't be disappointed. Do a 4 week program and judge for yourself.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Contrary to popular belief you don't get HUGE overnight, it takes years. It depends on what you call HUGE though?

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    Do Starting Strength from Rippetoe. Great program to learn the basics and get strong.

Nethru is offline Member
    Gonna give 5x5 a go 2 times a week.

Sunday Sprint / Yoga
    Monday Lift Heavy Weights - A / HIIT - Blurpees
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday Body-weight - Pull-ups 5 /Push-ups 10 /Air Squats 15 - 20 Minutes
    Thursday Rest
    Friday Lift Heavy Weights - B / HIIT - Blurpees
    Saturday Rest

Workout should help me increase my strenth well and get rid of some of the fat I got left over I hope

worthc is offline Junior Member
    I've been lifting heavy things and then doing barbel complexes at the end. Brutal and effective.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    TT in my opinion

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

As1459 is offline Junior Member
    I don't want to hijack a thread and I also don't want to start a new thread but I am wondering if doing an upper body/lower body split would be okay four days a week? So Monday upper/Tuesday lower/off/Thursday upper/Friday lower? My main goals right now are to put on some muscle. I am pretty compliant (95%) and was wondering if there are any negatives to four days of lifting? Or am I better off with a 3 day split?

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Contrary to popular belief you don't get HUGE overnight, it takes years. It depends on what you call HUGE though?
    ^^THIS.

I'm so sick of hearing this that when I do hear it I get the nearly uncontrollable desire to destroy something, namely the person who said it. You are not going to get huge overnight, or even after a long time because:

1) You probably won't eat enough to get there
    2) You will more than likely train like a pussy and therefore won't get there
    3) Some happy combination of the first 2 factors

Few things make me angier than hearing this, from both sexes but especially from men.

Women won't get big unless they use anabolics since they don't produce enough testosterone to get overly muscular, therefore making the fear of becoming "muscly lol?" ridiculous. On the other hand, if they do say something to this effect it's probably a good thing because it lets me know that they are probably stupid and not worthy of my time.

Men who say it are more than likely just pussies. Granted not everyone wants to get overly muscular, but the simple fact is that it won't happen ever, and certainly not overnight. Men who feel the need to say this are usually just using it to justify their vagina-ness.

/rant
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast