Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to lamb? page

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member

Intro to lamb?

Primal Fuel
    My local farmer's market has lamb. I've never had lamb, so I thought I'd come here to ask a basic question:

What is something easy to do with lamb, and what kind of cuts should I look for? Should I just bake a lamb leg or something?

M.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    My local farmer's market has lamb. I've never had lamb, so I thought I'd come here to ask a basic question:

What is something easy to do with lamb, and what kind of cuts should I look for? Should I just bake a lamb leg or something?

M.
    Roasted leg of lamb is fantastic and not difficult. Also, loin chops are excellent and can be grilled up just like steak (medium-rare lamb is the bomb). Other cuts (shoulder for example) may be tougher and require different techniques. Honestly, as you have never had it and lamb tends to be expensive (around here anyway) I'd grab some loin chops and give them a try before spending too much on something you may potentially not like. If you like them snag a leg, roast it, and enjoy the lamby-goodness.

Edit: to roast lamb I generally season it with salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary. I tend to cook it like a beef roast (start high heat for 15 minutes or so and then low heat until desired temp - looking for medium rare)

As for chops - throw them on a grill.

edit2: helpful lamb roasting chart: http://www.superiorfarms.com/the-lam...-method-2.html
    Last edited by canio6; 05-21-2013 at 08:22 AM.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Other cuts (shoulder for example) may be tougher and require different techniques.
    I'm a cheapskate so I usually get shoulder chops. You can't really grill or broil them but they're extremely tasty braised, e.g. 5 min sear on each side then cover on low for 1 hour. Save the bones of course!
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I found that lamb roast and lamb ribs were fine by standard roasting methods (dry roasted) with a simple rub of salt, pepper and other spices.

ground lamb makes great meatballs too.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    ground lamb makes great meatballs too.
    ground lamb is great.

This is probably my favorite ground lamb recipe: Primal Lamb Lasagna |

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I have done leg of lamb and cut into chunks and then kebab it. Lamb burgers. Roast leg of lamb. Braised lamb shakes. LOVE lamb chops if you can find shoulder chops, delish.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

kap
    kap is offline Member
    Google a recipe for Stifado. Lamb is used in Greece but some of the recipes use beef. Basic ingredients are lamb, tomato, onions, red wine, cinnamon and nutmeg. Amazing.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Here's my favorite thing to do with ground lamb: Lamb/feta burgers topped with cucumber yogurt sauce and tomatoes (and more feta). http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1142532
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Oh awesome. When they open back up Saturday I will make ground lamb priority. Failing that, loin sounds like a good place to start.

M.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    lammmmmmmmmmb.
    lambs liver is great, milder than pig or beef with much small vessels not big chewy tough ones.
    Boneless iamb leg steaks; beautiful treat just like a good steak.
    Roast lamb -poke slits in it with the blade of a knife and stick slivers of garlic and sprigs of rosemary into the slits in theflesh and roast 20 mins per 450g/lb, plus an extra 20 mins. Cook at 220C.
    Shoulder, nice fatty cut, 25-30 minutes per pound, plus 20 minutes, at about 170-180 C
    loin chops and cutlets not big but tender sweet and full of flavour
    Lamb mince makes wonderful kebabs, use harissa paste and chopped mint
    neck is wonderful stewed
    shank is great cooked slowly with onion garlic and tomatoes
    Lamb is grass fed and one of the least interfered with beasties. Eaten young (mutton is older sheep much stronger taste)
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast