Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling out to women re: calories page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Calling out to women re: calories

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know, I know. I've been primal for almost three years, but I'm feeling so frustrated right now.

In the beginning I was 5'3" 168lbs and eating around 2000+ cal and losing....slowly, but losing. Lost close to 30 lbs. plateaued at a size 8 weighing 144. I know my body is going through healing. Gut, high cortisol, etc. The gut part is doing much much better. I'm taking steps to lower cortisol

I am calling out to women re: their calories. If I eat until I'm satisfied I land about 1800.but I'm not losing the belly fat. I have been attempting to take the calories down to 1500 (according to Primal Blueprint book) and I am hungry. According to Julia Ross I am not getting properly nourished unless I eat at least 2000 cal.

I had one day this past week where I ate over 2000 cal and weighed less the next morning. This morning, after meeting my calorie goal, being slightly hungry, I'm back up to 144.8.

I just want to do what's right for my body

I have a journal if you want to see details, but I'm eating meat, veggies, berries, occasional banana & apple, occasional nuts. I cut way back on cream, but have butter, coconut milk, oil, olive oil etc etc. I guess I must confess I have been eating about 1 oz of potato chips at lunch. Those are probably not nourishing me.

What are you ladies doing?
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Sorry calorie wise I can't help, as I don't count. But scale wise I would say check once a week as water weight, bulk etc. will show up in such a small difference, also I find it takes more than a day for my system to acknowledge what I have eaten, so if I have pigged out then it may not show up for a couple of days. I would say eat less for a week then see.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I ran some experiments on myself and realized that it takes a full 3 weeks to see any change in my body due to cutting or adding calories. So I never accept "the day after" as evidence of anything.

I can't say I've become slender but I find that if I just eat a palm-sized (minus fingers) portion of meat at each of three meals and either a sweet potato or vegetables or both along with it, and avoid daily wine and chocolate, I will start to lose weight. But I usually will sabotage myself eventually, hence not much change in my body.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I find that I have to be slightly hungry, but not white-knuckled hungry. And not to graze after supper. Normally about 800 cals before supper and as small supper as I can manage, for about 1600 cals a day is when I sleep Okay and weight about 15 lbs more than I would like to. For now I accept it, since not sleeping is a bad thing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Ok. I looked at my calories for the past week. It ranged from 1549-2088 with an average of 1734. So I guess I can't really say I have given the 1500 a real try yet. Hmmm. I need to do something to feel more full. That usually means more fat or protein.

My Journal

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I guess I must confess I have been eating about 1 oz of potato chips at lunch. Those are probably not nourishing me.
    Those could bloat you easily and keep your belly fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I can lose fat on large amounts of good food (e.g. 2500 - 3000kcal), I will gain weight on small amounts of junk food. I have crappy carb tolerance however, and junk food always nukes my energy for exercise, which in turn messes up my sleep patterns. I love fat and eats lots of it.

I don't know what you have or haven't weighed in the past, when younger, but your body may have got to where it wants to be.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't cut cals too much... In all my experience it just leads to a dangerous game and it's not sustainable. You might end up binging or else just putting the weight back on once you reach your goal.

Play with what you're eating. Have a few high carb, low fat days a week, just to mix it up. Some people (when they get to a certain level of slenderness) lose more fat on a lower fat diet. When I was eating HFLC I was restricting a lot, but I never got skinny like I did eating low fat.

And like Sbhikes said, be patient: it takes a few weeks for changes to show.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I'm 5'3" and I weighed around 130 in my 20s. In high school I was about a size 7 I think. I wasn't muscular though. In between babies I got to 130 and size 8. So I am real close to my goal. I am strong. I can easily do 5k mud runs and just completed my first 10K mud race. I am thankful for the strength, health and energy i have. What I am mostly focused on is the belly fat. Pre-primal I gained a lot of weight with my 3 pregnancies and really stretched out my body. With PCOS and high cortisol I know the fat receptors are in my middle.

Thanks for the replies! They are very helpful. I have been letting in the little bits of junk food. Time to focus on getting full on the good stuff.

My Journal

My Journal

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast