Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Calling out to women re: calories page 5

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You are probably getting enough of what you need that your body doesn't think the calorie deficit is a sign of starvation. My guess anyway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Momto3, you mentioned that you are saving up to get blood tests done I recommend also testing your thyroid function with TSH level if it's high then do further testing to rule out Hashimoto's. Thyroid function has a lot to do with weight regulation. I thought most of my symptoms were from low progesterone but it turns out I have Hashimotos, now I'm looking for a doctor to help me achieve optimum health.

BTW clothes size varies quite a bit with body type; I'm 5' 2", weigh 118 and can barely squeeze into size 6 pants!

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Konstantin Monastyrsky was making a similar point that women really need to pay attention to nutrient density. He's got a series on this blog.

The Real Reason Diets Fail and What You Can Do About It

"Your body doesn’t really know the difference between weight loss and starvation. All it knows is that it is under duress from undernutrition and facing extinction. That is why a scarcity of nutrients during weight loss diets, or even from poor nutrition, instantly lowers your energy and structural metabolism, throttles down weight loss, and speeds up the accumulation of body fat, all to protect your reproductive health and milk supply for potential offspring from the possibility of starvation-related death."

THat quote is from his 2nd or 3rd post in the series. I haven't read all of the series myself.
    I will look into this. I was having similar thoughts on that this morning. Meditating on the word "nourish". This is what I need to focus on. Thanks for sharing the link. I look forward to reading it.

Thank you again for all the wonderful responses so far. You have encouraged me greatly!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, I just read it and I don't think I agree with everything he says. And he kinda contradicts or confuses his message or something. Anyway, I do think he's right that women have to make sure that if we do reduce calories that whatever we eat better have the most nutrients possible otherwise we're doomed to suffering and failure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Yeah I got through 2 or three posts, but my head was swimming. I'll go back later. Not what I was meditating on this morning.

My Journal

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I have found then when I eat too many nuts, I tend to gain weight - This is why I cut them out of my life. I don't miss them.

I cannot really help with calories though because I don't count...

As for your chips at lunch... Is there any way you could make your own? Bake butternut squash or sweet potato chips/fries. Those will be just as sating!

Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    I don't think 1500 calories is an unrealistic goal for your height, and 2000 calories definitely sounds like too much. I'm currently 5'10 and 150 lbs and my calorie target is about 1650 for very slow weight loss. I don't have any problem staying around or under this goal provided I'm eating healthful whole foods and eating almost ideally primal/paleo. Do I get the munchies? Yes. I'm a bored grazer. But am I actually hungry? No.

How often are you actually hungry rather than just craving things? And how often do you eat when you're not really hungry, resulting in unnecessary calories at the wrong time getting instantly stored as body fat?

Cut out the potato chips. I totally support indulgences (I usually make sure I have enough calories for some wine and/or chocolate), but potato chips are just awful. Having recently pigged out on WAAAY more than 1 oz of Ruffles, I get the temptation. But it's so not worth it.

50-100g of carbs from veggies and a little fruit, 0.7-1g protein for each pound of lean muscle mass, and fill up the rest with healthy fats that'll leave you feeling satisfied. It's worked for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    Yeah I got through 2 or three posts, but my head was swimming. I'll go back later. Not what I was meditating on this morning.
    Haven't read this whole thread, do you drink beer, wine, hard liquor?

How much sprinting do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Haven't read this whole thread, do you drink beer, wine, hard liquor?

How much sprinting do you do?
    No alcohol. The only kind I like us champagne and that is for rare special occasions. I haven't done running sprints in awhile, but I've been doing Sprint 8 style workouts with body weight. Kettlebell squats for 30 sec, then 1:30 of push ups, pull ups, marching in place. 8 rounds + warm up & cool down = 20 min

I am keeping high intensity workouts to 2x a week, in the mornings, no more than 20 min to help keep my high cortisol from getting too high. Then I have increased leisurely walks and some yoga on the other days.

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    I finished the posts and my big takeaway is that it will take much longer than I thought to lose the fat. I'll keep on keeping on. Focus on real, nourishing foods, not junk food.

My Journal

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast