Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Calling out to women re: calories page 4

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I can lose fat on large amounts of good food (e.g. 2500 - 3000kcal), I will gain weight on small amounts of junk food. I have crappy carb tolerance however, and junk food always nukes my energy for exercise, which in turn messes up my sleep patterns. I love fat and eats lots of it.
    You just hacked my brain. This is me! To a tee! However, more fats equals me being so satisfied, I eat too little total cal. Then as many other wise female posters have noted, beware the evening binge.

That's my hurdle. Delicious primal brekkie takes me thru the day and then at 8pm. Watch. Out.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Wow! This is all great info. I appreciate all your contributions and sharing your experience with me.

I just recently got done with antibiotics for H Pylori and my gut is feeling so much better. The other thing that showed was severe gluten intolerance. I am now treating myself like a celiac and wow! What a difference for my digestion! The bloating, gas, diarrhea, pain etc is gone. I am so thankful.

The next health hurdle is the hormones. They've never been regular. PCOS endometriosis, hyperplasia,
    I'm thinking it is all connected with low progesterone but I'm saving up money to pursue testing.

Right now I am managing the pain of Endo with birth control pills so I only bleed once every three months. Since getting treated for h pylori and 100% gluten free no more pain!! I am hopeful that I may be able to go off bcp to get to the root issue of my hormones.

Hmmm, you ladies have given me much to think about. I definitely see some common things among the approaches. There were no potato chips today and when I was hungry I munched on beef heart jerky and bone broth.

The Fast Metabolism Diet sounds interesting. I'm going to check it out.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I found the info about The Fast Metabolism Diet very interesting... It's basically very similar to how I eat now! But I don't measure or plan anything: I just listen to my body and it results in random food combinations, and very varying macros and calories. I never eat habitually any more.

Mixing it up and eating in line with the body's signals is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I'm trying to figure it out myself. I think Ray Peat has an article on it that I haven't read yet. Protein malabsorption is related to it if you have low albumin. The substrates needed don't get to where they need to be. I also have estrogen dominance, my DHEA is nonexistent (nearly zero), very low progesterone, and other overlapping symptoms which all contribute to and aggravate each other. I have menorrhagia, severe anemia, horrible digestion regardless of what I eat, and so on. The bloating and water retention is one of the big ones. I was diagnosed train wreck by my doc, ha. Oddly enough, some days I'll deflate and drop tons of water out of nowhere and the cycle starts again. Puff, puff, wooooooooooosh.
    Oh no - I'm sorry to hear all that What treatment are you on for the Oestrogen dom?

I always thought the bloating was due to poor digestion, but my digestion is awesome right now and still the pregnant belly. It being a hormonal imbalance makes a lot more sense.

And I agree it's so frustrating: it was one reason I (briefly) enjoyed low carb: that lovely whoosh.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Primal-V is offline Member
    Hi there, I'm 5'2 and currently 147lbs (starting weight 11 months ago was 184lbs). I'm a relative newbie to Primal, but my observations are:

Calories don't seem to strongly relate to weight loss, I eat 1400-2500 Kcals per day (averaging maybe 1800?) I check out my calorie intake on myfitnesspal now and then out of curiosity but I don't have a target number. The two things that control my calorie intake are 1. my hunger and 2. What's available. I sometimes skip lunch because it's the end of the week and I don't have anything Primal in the cupboard, the strange thing is that I feel about the same level of hunger mid afternoon whether I've eaten or not, which makes me suspect it's not a reliable indicator.

I agree with previous replies about the chips, I'm guessing these are fried in vegetable oil, maybe this is causing inflammation for you?

I would suggest upping your fat and losing the chips, this works for me. That said, I sometimes have a weekend away when I eat more carbs and the week following I might lose a pound on my pre-weekend weight (maybe this is a natural carb re-feed?)

I have also found that if I'm not sleeping well or feeling rested I can forget about weight loss. I try to prioritise sleep, but with a night-owl husband it's not always easy!

I am also a strong believer that all women will carry belly fat, we are not men and for most women it's not realistic to expect to lose this. If you google images for 'body fat' you can see charts of how men and women look at different fat percentages, this is very telling about the difference in our bodies.

If you're eating a healthy diet and you know that you're in good shape then maybe it's time to start loving your soft and curvaceous, womanly body. If you love yourself and your body then your cortisol levels might drop and you may find you get nearer your goal without extra effort.

Try not to sweat the small stuff, you look great!
    Last edited by Primal-V; 05-22-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post

So.......... what has been working for me, this is my second month.... I am doing Fast Metabolism Diet. (Did I Eat Today) It is suppose to help with things like pituitary, feeding your thyroid (which I went to the doctor and whatever test they did, it was okay but I am not convinced) calm adrenals, reduce stress on your liver.

I am eating the same foods as before (well I added back in steel cut oats & quinoa, at least while I am following her program) so anyways, I am pretty much eating the same foods but I am eating them more strategically. Certain carbs (no pastas or wheats) but certain fruits and veggies along with certain proteins on Monday & Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday is certain proteins and certain veggies. Friday, Saturday, Sunday is certain fruits, certain veggies, certain proteins, and certain fats.

So you minimize fat Mon - Thurs, and then just before your body starts screaming for fats, you give it some fats. She explained it all in such a way that it just made sense to me.

So anyways, I chart my progress most daily and I had just enough ups and downs that I thought I was gaining ground. But really, since finding PB in March of 2012 I had only lost about 15lbs. And then when I realized I was just spinning my wheels, I didnt know what to do about it. I just could not find the right combination to get things moving again. I started this on April 15, and I lost 6lbs my first week. Now remember, I had long time ago cut out wheats and pastas, etc. so not alot of water weight, I don't think. And I was getting lots of carbs on Mon & Tues, and a pretty fair amount Fri, Sat & Sun.

So anyways, I could not be happier with my progress, so I am going another month. Again, it does not feel like a diet

Oh and my calories are really just all over the place. She says calories do not mean a thing and do not matter. She doesnt count them, but I have counted for over 1.5 years and I was curious. She does limit portions. For every 20lbs over the initial 20, you add .5 serving of everything, up to 2 servings. Veggies are always unlimited but again, certain ones on certain days. But the lists are LOOOOOONG. Never lacking for something to eat, and never hungry.

Anyways.... it got me out of my funk.

So I was reading the reviews on Amazon and looked at her website. It is very intriguing. You say your calories have been all over the place, have you been hungry? Do you stick to the portion size? I am looking to lose 15lbs so according to one review, there would be days of limiting calories to 700 or so. Is this true for you? It almost sounds like a kind of intermittent fasting with eating foods on strategic days, plus coupling appropriate exercise for those days.

She talks about calming down cortisol but I've been warned numerous times not to restrict calories too much because of my high cortisol. Do you eat until you are full? I am so happy it is working for you. You are the only person I've read about that has made it more than 4 weeks. Most reviews were in week 2 or 4. Thanks for sharing your experience.

My Journal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    On the protein days, my calories have been as low as 700-800 but that is not the norm. Just depends on what I have but usually protein days are around 1000 - 1200. Protein is more filling for me so it doesnt take as much, and also sometimes I just get tired of protein so I don't eat as much. I know, I thought I would NEVER say that. But then I have other days of 1800, 2200, I think even a 2400. Looks like most of my days are 1400-1600

But she says calories do not matter. She doesnt believe in CICO but believes it is about the burn, the metabolism. Like the skinny ppl that eat everything in sight, and then you see the overweight ppl that restrict calories and don't lose anything. So each phase is to flood the body with specific nutrients in order to get things working again.

I have NEVER been hungry. As far as following portion size, if anything I don't eat as much as I am suppose to, which she says is just as bad, so I try to pay attention, but sometimes I am just too full. I don't find it difficult at all, even when I am sick of protein & I want some fruit or nuts or something. I know it is only 2 days.

Best $12 I have spent in a long time.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Wow. That is encouraging. And may I ask, are you in the 20lbs or less category?

My Journal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I wish. <deep sigh>

I am about half way done, so maybe another 70 to go? I really thought I would be done by now. Way before now. <deep sigh> Things were going so good, just dumb-lucking my way through it, eating things I thought were good for me but I didnt know a hill of beans about macros. Then I began reading..... and thought I could do better than the 8-10lbs I was losing. <yet another deep sigh> And the more I learned, the more I didnt know.

Anyways....... I guess I went through all that for a reason, and probably learned alot of things. And what I have lost has for the most part stayed off, except maybe a few water pounds maybe. I am otherwise pretty healthy, I think, and weight loss is my "biggest" issue at the moment. I was on the verge of everything though, and on the verge of being medicated out my @$$ I am sure, but everything is pretty good now and I feel great. I just want the weight gone once and for all.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Konstantin Monastyrsky was making a similar point that women really need to pay attention to nutrient density. He's got a series on this blog.

The Real Reason Diets Fail and What You Can Do About It

"Your body doesn’t really know the difference between weight loss and starvation. All it knows is that it is under duress from undernutrition and facing extinction. That is why a scarcity of nutrients during weight loss diets, or even from poor nutrition, instantly lowers your energy and structural metabolism, throttles down weight loss, and speeds up the accumulation of body fat, all to protect your reproductive health and milk supply for potential offspring from the possibility of starvation-related death."

THat quote is from his 2nd or 3rd post in the series. I haven't read all of the series myself.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Konstantin Monastyrsky was making a similar point that women really need to pay attention to nutrient density. He's got a series on this blog.

The Real Reason Diets Fail and What You Can Do About It

"Your body doesn’t really know the difference between weight loss and starvation. All it knows is that it is under duress from undernutrition and facing extinction. That is why a scarcity of nutrients during weight loss diets, or even from poor nutrition, instantly lowers your energy and structural metabolism, throttles down weight loss, and speeds up the accumulation of body fat, all to protect your reproductive health and milk supply for potential offspring from the possibility of starvation-related death."

THat quote is from his 2nd or 3rd post in the series. I haven't read all of the series myself.
    I wonder if by eating a lot more beef and eggs I am getting something I was missing. After 6+ months of losing nothing, I'm at a new low today and not hungry between meals.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast