Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling out to women re: calories page 2

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was eating 1600 cals/day and I think it triggered very bad episodes of bingeing for me. Granted, I already have issues with this in the first place, but I think the calorie restriction that low really set me off. So just be careful. If you have tried eating 1500 cals and you are still hungry, you probably shouldn't keep calories that low for a sustained period of time. It could come back to bite you like it did me. Just my opinion. I also agree, get rid of the junk food. It's only going to hinder your progress.

Have you tried adding some light cardio workout? Mark recommends that in his book, staying at heart rate of 55-75% of max heart rate for 2-5 hours a week. That might help shed some body fat without exacerbating your already high cortisol.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    I'm walking with my boys for an hour 2-3x a week. Sometimes we get a nice hike in on the weekends. I want to get to the place of a daily walk.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    For me to lose in a satisfactory manner (i.e., 1-2 pounds per week) - 1200 cal per day with one or two days (usually the weekend) at 1400-1600 each week. My n=1 theory is that if I bump the calories up one or two days a week, my body will know there's food out there and not try to hold on to every calorie.

For me to get past a plateau. If I've really been sticking to the above, i.e., I've logged every morsel of food I put in my mouth, and I stay at the same weight for more than 10 days, first I fight the urge to throw the bathroom scale through the window, then I plan a day to eat 1800-2000 calories. Plan, not just go out and binge on everything in sight.

To maintain. To maintain 140 pounds, I eat about 1600 calories a day. I should probably weigh about 120, but I don't care enough about it to hassle with it. LOL (One of the comforts for me of getting old.)

I'm in my late 50s and I don't exercise as much as I should, especially in summer. I've tried numerous attempts at eating to satiation on Atkins and other lower carb approaches. When I do that, I always gain. I will say that for me, 1600 calories is pretty comfortable; I'm not hungry at the end of the day. I also think the upday, downday thing some people are doing is great, and as is "fasting" two days a week on 500 calories. JMO and what works for me.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    I'm one who has to count calories in order to lose weight. I hate it but it's the only way. I can lift weights all day, and exercise for hours....I will not lose an ounce until I start counting. Anything over 1500, no loss. I'm an inch taller than you are.

What works for me is less fat and no dairy except for cream in my coffee. I lose weight on lean meat, fruits and veggies. No slathering stuff in butter or olive oil. No second helpings. No starchy carbs like rice or potatoes.....I would love to eat them but I never lose an ounce if I do, so I reserve those for special outings, like going to get sushi, or going to a burger and fries place. I can tolerate bananas, that's about the starchiest thing I can consume daily. I absolutely love the food, and my appetite has dialed way WAY back on primal, because I'm getting nourishment from the good food I eat. So I am very content with less than others. I have coffee with cream for breakfast, usually some kind of omelet (3 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, veggies) or a giant banana/berry smoothie for lunch, and dinner is usually some kind of fish or meat and veggies. I love eating this way.

Right now I'm lifting weights 3 times a week, jogging every other day, and biking everywhere. Plus some walks and once weekly all day Mortal Kombat gardening. That's where I go outside and murder weeds with my awesome finishing moves. I have a lot of weeds.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    I'm 5'3" and I weighed around 130 in my 20s. In high school I was about a size 7 I think. I wasn't muscular though. In between babies I got to 130 and size 8. So I am real close to my goal. I am strong. I can easily do 5k mud runs and just completed my first 10K mud race. I am thankful for the strength, health and energy i have. What I am mostly focused on is the belly fat. Pre-primal I gained a lot of weight with my 3 pregnancies and really stretched out my body. With PCOS and high cortisol I know the fat receptors are in my middle.

Thanks for the replies! They are very helpful. I have been letting in the little bits of junk food. Time to focus on getting full on the good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    Attachment 11779Attachment 11780
    These pictures can give an idea of the area I am focusing on.
    We're about the same size. Funny how I can also be 5'3" and 130lbs but I'm a size 4-6. I've always been pretty heavy for my size, but I still can't say that anyone would ever look at me and aspire to have my figure. I have come to accept that the size I am is pretty much my best self. I have good health, I am not repulsive, I could wear a bikini if I wanted to (although I feel very self-conscious.) At some point I suppose some of us decide that our high school selves maybe weren't fully-formed and that it's okay to maintain a certain amount of womanliness. Egads, at one point I was a size 6 in high school and back then a size 6 was tiny. I weighed less than 110lbs. I aimed to eat 500 calories a day. I was on the cross-country team. I think I maintained that for about 6 months and then ballooned/rebounded to the fattest I ever got. I'm done with the whole starve/rebound cycle.

Anyway, I've found that the more athletic kinds of lifting seem to trim a little off my belly, as do sprints. I quit sprinting though since the last time I wet myself so embarrassingly that I just have been too afraid to do it again. But stuff like power cleans and full cleans, high pulls and my olympic lifting class have seemed to help. I'm even considering buying a bar so I can keep doing these since they're not allowed at my gym.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I cant really help with the calories as I'm doing something extreme for medical reasons and losing weight fast as a consequence but I did want to comment on how healthy and happy you looked in the pics; genuinely lovely...in a muddy kind of way

MattyH is offline Junior Member
    From these pictures I would think you're focused on losing about 4kg of mud?

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyH View Post
    From these pictures I would think you're focused on losing about 4kg of mud?
    Not a nice way to talk about her man!

thewildirishgirl is offline Junior Member
    Are you planking? I've had two kids and my stomach is WASTED. I haven't lost poundage, but I dropped a size just by adding planks to my workout. I do three sets of 30 seconds and I'm slowly working on getting to 3 sets of 60 seconds. My lower middle has radically improved since I've been doing this.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    I don't do them often lately. After the third birth I had nothing for core strength. It has come a long way, but I'm definitely still weak in my lower abs. Thanks for the reminder.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast