Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulletproof Coffe page 2

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My thought is that I'm just going to nibble on a tablespoon of butter while my coffee brews, and then drink my coffee with heavy cream. I'll save the coconut oil for cooking.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Z0oom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    MCT fats are saturated fats of a medium chain length which allows them to be quickly metabolized for energy. Coconut oil being primarily saturated fats, is a rich source of MCTs but it also has triglycerides of other lengths as well.

MCT oil is concentrated to contain ONLY medium chain triglycerides to maximize the amount of energy you get per calorie. There is no such thing as a naturally occurring MCT oil. Bulletproof guy uses butter for taste mostly and adds his own "special" MCT oil for energy.

Many people don't use MCT oils, preferring the taste of coconut oil and just using that, sans even the butter. I mean, more coconut oil means more MCT content for sure.
    Do you think coffee could heat up the butter or oil enough to effect the quality or amount of MCT's?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z0oom View Post
    Do you think coffee could heat up the butter or oil enough to effect the quality or amount of MCT's?
    Potentially, yes. Although I suspect the amount is minimal if any. Coconut oil and MCT oil will be more stable than the butter because of their higher saturated fat levels, but even here the difference is probably minimal.

I wouldn't worry too much. I would think your biggest concern is overdoing calories from bulletproof coffee or tea. Just make sure you account for them when calculating what you need for a day.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Bulletproof coffee can be adapted to cocoa.
    I only use one teaspoon of coconut oil. Coconut oil is close enough to MCT oil that I don't bother with special ordering.

Since we are fat-burners, drinking bulletproof coffee will break a fast. Sorry, it's a meal.
    Bulletproof coffee doesn't have much in the way of nutrients compared to meat or kale. It's a dessert.

Bulletproof coffee is a major calorie bomb. As a rule Primals aren't supposed to count calories, but this is an exception to that rule. Even fat burners can gain fat from eating too much fat. The reason that Primals don't need to count calories is that we depend on stomach fullness. Since bulletproof coffee is liquid fat, we can chow down 300 calories before we feel full. Easy to overdo the fat calories.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    BP coffee used to be my breakfast and lunch. Until I could ditch the morning fat as well.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    We're beating a dead horse on the BP thing, but again, I'd rather eat my calories. If you're happy with consuming half a days worth of calories in a butter-laden and no sweet version of a frappucino, good for you. I'd rather eat a meal.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Z0oom is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a hard time formulating how I could use BP coffee to my advantage. Skipping a meal with it, seems like id go into a calorie deficit. And adding it on top would mean mean more calories, but probably some the best calories I want to eat anyway.

I must admit, as a coconut oil aficionado, that coconut oil tastes very good in coffee and transforms it into my primal equivalent of a starbucks frappe-latte-chino. I might just have it with my first cup of the day just for S&Gs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12