Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting 4 weightloss VS Strength training & calory surplus page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Sprinting 4 weightloss VS Strength training & calory surplus

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

I've a question. I have been focusing on my strength training workouts and optimal nutrition. I slightly cycle my cals. A bit more on workout days, a bit less on non w/o days. I know HIIT and sprints are good, but I find mixing it with work-weight strength training is not a good tactic for someone wanting to gain muscle, I know when I've tried doing it, my recovery is poor.

I get itchy feet like this when I dont do any hiit/sprinting and just weight training because I feel like BF% is increasing slightly. Sprinting keeps those feelings at bay for a while.

They say, you need all the calories you can get for building muscle, and doing HIIT/Sprints will only take away those calories (and youll need to eat even more). I squat 3x a week, doing HIIT on my off days is asking for trouble. But I want to incorporate springs into my week somehow. Should I try doing it just ONCE a week (maybe on a tuesday?)

Springs are the only thing I dont do at the minute, other than that im pretty primal! But I feel like im getting a bit soft due to eating for mass. What should I do MDA community?!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I'm looking forward to responses. I was trying to gain some mass for the past few months and I was doing sprints usually once a week or so in addition to weight lifting 4x/week (following the 5/3/1 program). Maybe I had too much of a calorie surplus or too many carbs because I added too much flab for my liking. I wish I had some useful tips for gaining lean mass and sprinting while doing squats 3x/week. Maybe you could do squats 2x/week and sprint once.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    In 9 months I've lost 40 lbs. I record my food on fitday and I record my exercise on excel. I'm 5'-9" and 53 years... getting younger. I started at 234 and I'm now 192. That will help qualify my comments.

My weekly exercise routine has been 1 session of high intensity weight lifting. I never miss that. 5 minutes... very heavy intensity but not long. The rest of the week has included doing nothing, throwing in some walks, sprinting on the stationary bike, wing chung, parkour, etc. I've really not found anything else during the week that excites me.

My diet is 80 % primal. When I go off it is for a meal or a snack... never a day.

I've had weeks varying from a loss of 5 lbs to a gain of 3 lbs.

For me it is never the exercise routine that causes me to gain or lose weight.

If my weekly average is over 100 grams of carbs I don't lose. Over 110 and I gain. Carbs seem to set the trigger for either storage or buring of fat.

Calories do not build muscle. It takes protein. The body cannot absorb more than30 grams of protein at one sitting. In other words that 12 oz steak should be divided up at breakfast , lunch and dinner. I've attached a study to confirm the protein.

http://www.cbass.com/Protein_Muscle.htm

For the types of exercise to gain muscle mass I've included these studies

http://www.cbass.com/Carpinelli.htm

http://www.cbass.com/LiftingWithEffort.htm

http://www.cbass.com/Effortbasedtraining.htm

How have other 3x weekly lifters found sprinting while strength training in terms of recovery?

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I think that lifting heavy three times a week is too much. Obviously many people are getting good results from training once a week (HIT), personally I'm opting for twice a week with slightly lower intensity. Three times a week means that you give your body only 48 hours to recover, repair and enhance your muscles. I don't see how that could be sustainable, given that you plan to stress your body even more with sprints in between.

Twice a week is better IMO ... for example if you lift heavy on Monday and Thursday, you could have sprints (high intensity interval training) on Saturday. That way there's always a day of rest in between your activities. Less is more.

But for someone looking to add strength (and functional mass), how would removing a heavy day work out? Progressive overload etc etc?

You gain strength between your workouts ... the workouts act merely as triggers. Of course you need to experiment a little bit because everybody is different, and frankly it sucks that we live in societies that are built around 7 day weeks. 9 days would be much better ... one day workout, two days regeneration.

I can only say that I'm making a lot of progress on a twice a week schedule. For example, I started with 30kg (66lbs) bench presses about half a year ago and I now press 70kg (155lbs) without any problem. I'm 35 years old, mind you. I also add some irregular workouts from time to time when I'll just use half the weight and do some sets of as many repetitions as I can, in order to confuse the muscles a little bit. All things considered, I can't see myself going to a 3 times per week schedule, because there simply wouldn't be enough time for the muscles to actually improve. However, maybe younger people can do that. You can always try to switch back and forth between different schedules and see how they work out for you. If you're a beginner and you don't see improvements even though you're working out hard, the key is often to reduce workout frequency.

I do sometimes feel 3x a week is alot, sometimes on my off days am I quite sore. But hypertrophy is my main goal. But naturally, I used to be 255 pounds, so keeping Body fat at bay is also key, which I why I want to do Sprints, but doing sprints on thurs / tues just kills me when it comes to squatting the next day.

How about:

Mon: STR Workout A

Tues: Nothing (Maybe a dog walk, maybe very light stationary work)

Weds: Sprints & Shovelglove? (Love that stuff)

Tues: Nothing (Maybe a dog walk, maybe very light stationary work)

Friday: STR Workout B

Weekend Rest (Cant say what I do each weekend, too variable, but I never workout on weekends.)

It might be worth mentioning Im a desk jockey, so perhaps I need a jolt of Sprinting to keep body fat inline?

^ I like that ... it's like I suggested, two strength workouts a week and one additional sprints session, with at least two days in between strength workouts. If you don't overdo the shovelgloving, that is. ;-)

BTW: As far as the body fat is concerned: Try replacing most of your dietary fat with coconut oil. Works wonders!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast