Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this for real? page

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member

Is this for real?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I started my Primal journey 5 days ago at 121 pounds. It has not been an easy road. I have experienced nausea, dizzy, and heart palpitations and I am so so weak. I have not been able to run much and when I do I'm about 30 seconds slower per minute.

I found a great article on that proteinpowder .com blog where he explains I need to eat more fat and take supplements. I've got to work on the supplements but yesterday I cooked my chicken breast in butter and garlic and covered my salad in sour cream Cesar dressing - I thought I was cheating as I was licking the bowl. I ate that salad at 3pm yesterday and felt it still heavy on my stomach when I went to bed at 10pm.

This morning I woke up at 118 pounds. I'm losing a pound a day now that I'm eating what I am programmed to believe-- horribly. Is this for real? Or is this all just all initial water weight I'm losing now. I certainly feel thinner, I love it but am afraid this is some sort of joke.

Here are my ratios yesterday:
    Fat- 70%
    Protein- 19%
    Carbs- 11%

While I love losing a pound a day, I really hope these scary side affects go away and I get my energy back.

Thanks!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You need salt. Are you actually eating enough?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you are active, and plan to maintain intense cardio for 20 to 60 min a day, your carbohydrate intake from tubers and fruit need not be super-low. Up to 75 g will do the trick. Drinking bone broth with sea salt and taking magnesium will help with feeling outright sick, but if you plan to be active, ketosis is unnecessary for weight loss.

A lb a day is dehydration, particularly if you have switched from high carb diet to a very low carb diet (what are you doing, under 30 g carbs or something?). A lot of people who do carb-up/carb down cycle will see 3-10 lbs 'gained' during the carb load, and then disappear during the no-carb period within 1 week. so try to make sure you do take in your fluids with salt and lemon etc.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Yes this is real, you can lose weight eating to satiety, and eating real food.

My thoughts...you probably need to up your carbs. I feel lousy on low carb, no energy and all I can think about is food. It is clear that my body is not happy with me. But I am quite happy at about 65-80 g carbs. (Fruit and sweet potatoes are my go to foods).

What does your exercise schedule look like and what does your dailyc diet look like?
    Do you use an food/calorie tracker?

As far as hunger goes and eating enough - I feel like I am totally satisfied maybe too satisfied all the time. Before PB I was eating only one serving of bread/tortilla/cereal a day and scrambling what to eat next and struggling with hunger and cravings. Now on PB I do not miss carbs at all and I'm not even hungry-- this is not typical for me.

I am experiencing thirst all the time so I am drinking a lot of water. Maybe I need to add some salt to my water then?

My carbs are between 35-50 grams. I would love to try the sweet potatoes for energy - I think I am going to try but oh how sugar is a trigger for me. It sets me up for wanting more, more, more. I'm afraid of screwing up my satiety and weight loss.

I would love to continue eating like I am in hopes that I'm in adjustment period before I fully adapt to fat burining mode. Then things will get better. I have only run two times in the past week because I'm so weak but normally run 3-4 days a week, tennis once a week and lift weights twice a week.

I will try and post what I ate yesterday from Livestrong....

Hope I answered everyone -- I really appreciate your help!!!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Do I get it about the sugar triggers. I have been on the years of 'need to drop fruit but can't'.

If sugar is a trigger for you and you have the chops to drop fruit, do not try sweet potato, try plain boiled white one, then rutabaga or turnip. In my experience, they are not sweet enough to start the spin.

You gotta eat to support doing things you love, not cutting out things you love doing to support an artificial macro construct.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Basically I ate...

2 coffee with cream
    2 eggs with olive oil, onion, garlic, jalepeno, (gimme a kiss after that!)

snack
    3 tbsp almond butter
    1/4 cup sunflower seeds

3pm I had a chicken breast cooked in butter
    over my large Cesar salad (mark's recipe with the sour cream dressing)
    1/2 cup of shaved parmesean cheese

As I said I think the oil in the dressing still was heavy on my tummy when I went to bed. I did eat a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Do I get it about the sugar triggers. I have been on the years of 'need to drop fruit but can't'.

If sugar is a trigger for you and you have the chops to drop fruit, do not try sweet potato, try plain boiled white one, then rutabaga or turnip. In my experience, they are not sweet enough to start the spin.

You gotta eat to support doing things you love, not cutting out things you love doing to support an artificial macro construct.
    Great tip! I will try the turnip or rutabaga!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Why are you eating below 50 grams of carbs? That's really recommended more for people with a lot of weight to lose.

I'm also a sugar fiend and dropping sugar will make you feel like shit for a week at least. That said, some of us can eat fruit and other carbs and not have sugar cravings, particularly if we have our sugar with some fat or protein. So a banana with almond butter or strawberries and whipped cream.

I know a lot of people here do ketosis. But... you might just ease into primal, not worry about your macros and just eat from the list, so to speak, especially if you are active.

Also at 120 lbs, I would NOT expect 3 lbs of fat loss a week. I would think to acheive that would require so much restriction of healthy foods. Eat a satisfying diet. Don't burn yourself out avoiding everything you enjoy only to end up eating a bag of oreos because you didn't eat fruit for two weeks.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Nivanthe is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    Basically I ate...

As I said I think the oil in the dressing still was heavy on my tummy when I went to bed. I did eat a lot of it.
    Calorie count? Impressions on initial scan is you're eating.. nothing.

Ratios are all well and good, but you can get a ratio from 2000 calories or 200. Not really any solid information. The food list gives more, but needs more carbs probably, and absolutely more food.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast