Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this for real? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Note the volumes of nuts, seeds and cheese. That's basically a good 500+ calories already. Depending on the amount of fat she added to coffee, eggs and chicken, and the weight of the breast, she can easily be 1,300-1,500 cals which is normal for her low weight.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    That's basically a good 500+ calories already.
    Yeah...that's the other thing that looks off. I'd eliminate those and replace with meat, veg and fruit/starch calories.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    As far as hunger goes and eating enough - I feel like I am totally satisfied maybe too satisfied all the time. Before PB I was eating only one serving of bread/tortilla/cereal a day and scrambling what to eat next and struggling with hunger and cravings. Now on PB I do not miss carbs at all and I'm not even hungry-- this is not typical for me.
    If your diet before was high carb and low fat (basically lots of healthy whole grains and no-fat or low-fat this and that) then you were living in a hell of chronic hunger I remember well. When I switched to this diet I was at my wits end with the starvation and trying to white-knuckle my way through the daily constant hunger. Then I tried a high fat diet and my hunger and my mind went silent. It was totally disorienting to me and also miraculous.

Anyway, if you continue on low carb you'll probably continue to feel kind of weaker and slower for a while, then you'll adjust and start feeling pretty good. If you add back some carbohydrates on days you lift weights or sprint you'll get your energy back. Slow running actually works really well on low carb because you can train your body to use its own fat for energy which becomes an endless supply. No hitting the wall, no bonking. It's a secret weapon a lot of ultramarathoners employ. They train low carb and race higher carb.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Yeah...that's the other thing that looks off. I'd eliminate those and replace with meat, veg and fruit/starch calories.
    I dunno. If she does want low carb by whatever reason, nuts >> fruit. Dropping both nuts and fruit can be pretty hard in my experience, if you don't like meats much, as you basically stop experiencing pleasure from eating and that induces binges on anything because it's not really what you want to eat. People can be parsimonious about 'fueling' themselves, but food is one pleasures of life, and once the joy of 'OMG, I am full!' passes, the un-enjoyable aspect of Primal comes right out at ya.

For me though.... an ounce of chocolate or a banana trumps a bunch of nuts. Nuts will never satisfy my sweet tooth. It's super hard to eat around a craving for sweet with savory foods.

Also, if you don't eat a lot of calories, you need nutrient dense foods. To me, a couple spoons of almond butter bring not a lot to the table. Have some extra chicken and a banana.

Right, the key is that one banana satisfies you, but the issue rises when one apple lead to more berries to another apple... and the OP mentioned sweet trigger, so that's probably not the case for her.

As for nutritional stuff, iirc the fruit of today is nutritionally poor, and is also a bad thing for digestion, skin, hunger/sugar balance for those sensitive to fructose. Nuts, on another hand, do not trigger and can be eaten very slowly and have rare micros in 'em that fruit does not, are the best source of Ca if you don't eat dairy, and you don't wake up the next morning with red volcanoes around your chin & your nose...

So, very individual.

Ideally, both fruit & nust should go of course, in favor of meat and greens.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-21-2013 at 10:51 AM.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Note the volumes of nuts, seeds and cheese. That's basically a good 500+ calories already. Depending on the amount of fat she added to coffee, eggs and chicken, and the weight of the breast, she can easily be 1,300-1,500 cals which is normal for her low weight.
    Thank you this is true... I was about 1500 calories. If I felt like I was deprived at all I would take the advice to eat more but since I am feeling like I am more than satisfied (other than the nausea or heart palpitations after I eat) I think its the right amount for me.

"Yeah...that's the other thing that looks off. I'd eliminate those and replace with meat, veg and fruit/starch calories."

Just curious why... I adore nuts and nut-butters so I'd like to know if there is anything wrong with my daily consumption.

"Anyway, if you continue on low carb you'll probably continue to feel kind of weaker and slower for a while, then you'll adjust and start feeling pretty good. If you add back some carbohydrates on days you lift weights or sprint you'll get your energy back. Slow running actually works really well on low carb because you can train your body to use its own fat for energy which becomes an endless supply. No hitting the wall, no bonking. It's a secret weapon a lot of ultramarathoners employ. They train low carb and race higher carb."

SO funny you say this. This is how I feel and it is so new to me. I run for speed. I like to get things done, (esp house work) quick and over with. I feel like I cannot run fast anymore and when I am working around the house cleaning/gardening I feel like I can go on forever but I am only moving at mosey pace.

Before PB I trained on low carb but had a protein bar and a small amount of grain during the day and then always carb up for races and feel great. Now with no grain and no refined sugar I am struggling to run. Do you think I'll get my pace back in a couple of weeks when I'm in fat burning mode OR do I have to re-think my exercise on PB and move toward a long and slow run?

Thank you again.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    To me, a couple spoons of almond butter bring not a lot to the table. Have some extra chicken and a banana.
    Try Barney Butter... OMGOODNESS!!!! I love love love dark chocolate and would have to say it is neck and neck with Barney Butter.

Oh and the reason why I am eating this way is because of my symptoms. It was recommended that I eat high fat most of all. Otherwise I agree nutrient dense is better.

sorry for the edits : )
    Last edited by JulieRUNS; 05-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Generally it is recommended to keep intake of nuts and seeds under 2 oz a day. Nuts/seeds have the same antinutrients problems attached to them as grains and legumes, though less painful on digestion. At the very least they should be soaked and dried at a low temp.

Nuts are top of the list as allergens, and even though you might not collapse, they can still impact your system causing low level inflammation and all the bad things associated with it.

A lot of people have an issue with nuts being a 'domino' food, so they can't stop at a reasonable amount, so it causes weight gain.

You can carb up pretty good on Paleo foods, i.e. tubers. You can go to 150-300 g of carbs if you train and race on athletic performance level.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh and the reason why I am eating this way is because of my symptoms.
    What are your symptoms (beyond the standard no more sugar crappy feelings)?

I feel like the more you restrict healthy foods, the harder time you will have. Like fruit.... Seriously, if you binge on a banana, apple, a cup of berries and an apricot that is still fewer calories than a handful of nuts and a few tablespoons of nut butter. Eating 4 or 6 or 8 pieces of fruit is much different than eating a bag of snickers or a plate of cookies. Yeah, I guess if you binge on fruit every day it might be bad, but the more likely thing is you binge a couple of times and then you have a normal amount of fruit in your diet.

That said if there is a specific reason to do ketosis (I know someone here does it to control seizures), you probably do need to learn to not eat fruits in large amounts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast