Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've been drawn to the dark side... diet drinks. page

desertland is offline Member

I've been drawn to the dark side... diet drinks.

Primal Fuel
    OK so even though my diet has not always been of the best of foods the one thing I had learned decades ago was it was better to eat "real" food over fake substitutes. Butter is better than margarine, if you drink a soda make it with sugar and not some freak chemical. So on and so forth.

I think it has been 6 to 7 weeks that i started eating primal and all I would do was drink water, green tea ( no sugar ) and coffee with whipping cream. Well we do have a crap load of bottled diet green tea that my wife bought and today I drank one. I used to hate anything "diet". You could not get me to finish a diet soda for anything. Anyhow I drank the whole diet green tea and it was not so bad.

So now I'm starting to wonder if a diet beverage is still just as bad or worse than a regular hi sugar or fructose sweetened beverage.

Is it time to turn in my lightsabre before I'm sucked in by the dark side?

Grumpycakes is online now Senior Member
    Wait wait wait wait wait...

How the hell do you make green tea "diet?" It's as "diet" as you can get already.

And you're not supposed to put sugar in green tea anyway.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that it's a worthwhile endeavor to try to reason whether diet or regular soda is worse; they're both terrible. Aspartame being the potent and unapologetic neurotoxin that it is (and other things, probably. Someone else will know). How about other types of herbal tea like ginger, chamomile, and various tissane blends? I definitely dislike green tea, I couldn't only drink it as a beverage. Although I do like white and black tea.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    Wait wait wait wait wait...

How the hell do you make green tea "diet?" It's as "diet" as you can get already.

And you're not supposed to put sugar in green tea anyway.
    They are a costco brand green tea sweetened with lemon and orange. Anyhow I think Stabby pretty well spelled it out. One is not a better evil than the other. Mostly I was just shocked that I could even stand to drink ANY diet beverage.
    OK.. I'm over it. Move along. Nothing to see here.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Look on youtube for Aspertame, a Sweet Misery... and see how the FDA let it get approved when all science avail pointed to BRAIN Damage... and how he CDC even caved under the $$'s.... it's sick... this is dangerous stuff... We wonder where all the disease comes from... find a food in a box that is sweetened... and it's either HFCS or aspertame... Hmmmm....

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Oh c'mon now... JOIN THE DARKSIDE!

Give in to your Fear, and Hatred.

Let the Gates of your Anger Flow!!!!

Drink real green tea, unsweetened, and scare little children with the 10,000 watt light in your eyes...

...besides everyone knows that red lightsabers make the best Bacon.

Also, whenever I want a carbonated beverage I club soda with lemon, and maybe some bitters. Mmmmm, bitters.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Oh c'mon now... JOIN THE DARKSIDE!

Give in to your Fear, and Hatred.

Let the Gates of your Anger Flow!!!!

Drink real green tea, unsweetened, and scare little children with the 10,000 watt light in your eyes...

...besides everyone knows that red lightsabers make the best Bacon.

Also, whenever I want a carbonated beverage I club soda with lemon, and maybe some bitters. Mmmmm, bitters.
    Wait, hold the phone.. Quinine water? what do they call it these days? tonic water? or is that what you meant by bitters? I've drank that stuff straight and liked it.
    Do I take the red pill or the blue pill? no that's the matrix.

As per normal I'm sure Grok did not get much soda water, diet or otherwise. But it would be great if Quinine ( or what ever they call it these days ) was more or less a neutral treat one could have with little guilt. Or more important, little damage to the carb profile of the PB

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Tonic water? I love it with lime (even if I don't have any gin). Should read the label.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for that link about Aspartame! My sister is drinking diet pop like water - she has it with breakfast and then all day long. She can no longer think, has no short term memory, and is going to lose her job. She is 49 years old today.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Bitters/= Tonic water!!!
    Tonic is yummy, but also has a crap-ton of sugar in it, unless you buy the "diet" kind---which is just as bad.
    "Bitters" is Angostura http://www.angosturabitters.com/ , you can buy it in the "mixers" section of most stores...
    I know there are other brands, but this is the one I have.
    Last edited by kuno1chi; 05-15-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: more info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast