Thread: Nicotine replacement gum and sugar cravings page

mantra is offline Member

Nicotine replacement gum and sugar cravings

Shop Now
    I've been Primal for about six months and have had a lot of success so far. Now that my health is improving, I have a lot of motivation to finally quit smoking for good. I started using nicotine gum a few weeks ago because I felt like I needed some extra help staying quit, but I get overwhelming sugar cravings when I use the gum. I know it's full of artificial sweeteners and all kinds things I wouldn't otherwise want to put in my body, and I'd guess that the sweeteners are creating all kinds of havoc.

I went into this feeling that a few months of the gum was better than a lifetime of cigarettes. Now, I just feel trapped between intense sugar cravings and intense nicotine cravings. I've had bad reactions to the patch and I can't take a lot of the natural supplements due to other medication. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried hypnosis, EFT or cognitive-behavioral therapy?

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I quit nicotine gum when I went primal 2 years ago. Went cold turkey, if you can live through the first 2-3 days you'll be fine.

AmyP is offline Member
    Here's my best quitting advice that has worked for me and several friends. When I quit, each and every time I even began to think about cigarettes and smoking I would say to myself "I don't smoke". I am sure I said this thousands of times both out loud and in my head for the first couple of days. Soon a strange thing happened. I didn't smoke. I didn't really need to smoke because I didn't smoke. Classic Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Bottom line, I quit!

I now can enjoy (yes...I love smoking...always will...) a cigarette now and then and not start up again because I don't smoke. I DO NOT recommend doing this for at least a year after quitting and only if you really are sure you don't smoke. And I rarely (really try to never) buy cigarettes because if I have them I will smoke them and have to go through the process again, although it is much shorter and less painful, mostly just a stern "YOU DON'T SMOKE SO KNOCK IT OFF" kinda internal talk.

Hope this helps! At least give it a try!

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    I quit nicotine gum when I went primal 2 years ago. Went cold turkey, if you can live through the first 2-3 days you'll be fine.
    Seconded. I used one patch when I quit. It really isn't that bad after the first 72 hours. Every time you want a smoke just do pushups to failure. You won't want a cigarette after that.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Fair warning, some people may not have the sufficient amount of "ammo" to help assist their quitting goals.

When addiction, and brain chemistry imbalance are out of whack, it really isn't left up to lack of will power anymore. There are people who cannot quit cold turkey and may require outside assistance to better increase positive efforts of quitting.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    There are people who cannot quit cold turkey
    So if you tie them to the radiator with no nicotine, what happens? They quit.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Fair warning, some people may not have the sufficient amount of "ammo" to help assist their quitting goals.

When addiction, and brain chemistry imbalance are out of whack, it really isn't left up to lack of will power anymore. There are people who cannot quit cold turkey and may require outside assistance to better increase positive efforts of quitting.
    Sure. The outside assistance they need is help getting them mentally ready to quit cold turkey. They need effective strategies to counter all the triggers and challenging situations they will encounter.

I meet lots of people who have failed doing e-cigs, patches, prescription drugs, and gum.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    i used the spray, by far the best of any of the nicotine replacement products
    Nicorette QuickMist Mouth Spray 13.2ml