Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting a garden... GMO's page 2

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Ah! I stand corrected. Either case, though, it does lend itself to supporting poor farming practices and poor food distribution practices. This is a real bugbear.

M.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Ah! I stand corrected. Either case, though, it does lend itself to supporting poor farming practices and poor food distribution practices. This is a real bugbear.

M.
    You shall get no argument from me in that regard.... I agree completely...

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Agree that the GMO farce is a symptom of industrial agriculture.

OP, look for "heirloom" and avoid "F1" if you want to save your own seeds. If you do save your own seeds, you can play God and develop your own special tomato breed Which is how all varieties originally started off. In fact, have a nosey around and see if any local old guy has some spare seeds/plants of a local variety.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Selective breeding is a good thing. It preserves the traits of the plants that are more resilient to drought and natural predators. These things - the natural pesticides and heartiness of the plant - increase the antioxidants available. After all, that's what antioxidants are: natural pesticides. The issue is when they're literally splicing their genes with pesticides to resist Roundup. That's a big problem, because there is literally manmade poison inside the plant. I don't think you'll have to worry about this with standard issue tomatoes at Home Depot.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    look for 'heirloom'
    Yup. I do this for two reasons. First I know it isn't a frankentomato....but thats not the biggest thing. There are some funky heirloom varieties that are just so cool. I mean did you know that not all tomatoes where round and red??? Gasp! Seriously some of the most fun I have gardening is grabbing crazy varieties that you can't even get at whole paycheck. There is so much variety that we have basically bred right out of all our plants for God knows what reason. Palatability, resilience, maybe simple brand recognition (this is what a tomato is to look like.... thats not a tomato!) I dunno, but it is so boring compared to what there use to be.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    One of my faves is called Mister Stripey Last time I grew them hey were the sweetest of the 6-8 varieties I grew gat year. I usually can not find them though.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    so far i've tried black krim, pink brandywine & yellow pear. i get smug satisfaction from picking food off my plants and eating it right outside

mint? stevia? strawberries? little tomatoes? yeah i made this, now i'm gonna eat it. except for that leaf, i saw bugs have sex on that leaf.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    In grow tomatoes on my balcony. I love the little cherry or coctail tomatoes. And also strawberries, get the sort that keeps flowering and producing from spring till X-mas. There are varieties that grow long like wines and taste like wild strawberries.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    O: oooo... evergreen...

ooooooooooo... banana legs
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12