Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video on my thoughts: is it expensive to eat healthy? page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There is so much mixing of apples and oranges here I don't even know where to start.

Just because there are people who eat lots of expensive highly processed foods doesn't mean that everyone or even the majority of people who need to economize are doing mostly that. There are lots of people who do their best to put healthy meals on the table, given the misinformation that they have, but wouldn't be doing it on their budget without bread, pasta, rice, beans, and other starchy products.

Giving up grains, seed oils, and sugar and eating more meat, fish, vegetables, nuts, and fruit is going to be more expensive for anyone who isn't eating out or eating pre-prepared food all the time. And I'm talking standard supermarket quality products.

But it is clear from anecdotal evidence that giving up these things makes a big change in the way people feel.

...a dollar or two extra...
    Are you serious? It will probably cost me twice as much on average to buy organic/pastured/grass-fed everything.

It is less clear that the switchover from supermarket quality products to organic/grassfed/pastured/wild has measurable results. Hardly anyone has tested this change independent of the dietary realignment that accompanies the change from SAD to primal.

Not everyone who is eating SAD is sick to death. Not all of them are taking multiple medications, potions, and preparations daily. Not everyone who does switch to 100% primal finds that their allergies or acne and every other minor or major annoyance or illness goes away.

I don't know a single person who is buying $20 bottles of face cream, making it hard to save money by not buying that.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    eKatherine ~"Not everyone who is eating SAD is sick to death. Not all of them are taking multiple medications, potions, and preparations daily. Not everyone who does switch to 100% primal finds that their allergies or acne and every other minor or major annoyance or illness goes away."

I didn't mention that everyone eating processed is sick, and that eating heathy (not necessarily Primal) is the ultimatum for healing of all illness. It may have seemed that way in the video but that's not what I meant to get across.

Various of my friends and young family members complain about acne creams in bottles that cost 15-20$ ...at least that's what they tell me when I ask them how much that was out of curiosity.

Throughout the video I have mentioned that...
    - eating healthy IS expensive, while at the same time you may end up cutting back on other costs such as medical bills and minor health problems.
    -Eating processed industrialized food IS cheap, while at the same time you may be spending more money on your health than if you had better eating habits.

In a way the spendings balance out.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

jujeki is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Word- I'd say 1/5 of my good thinking/ideas/inspirations occur while chopping vegetables, standing and stirring something, or doing dishes.

Pooping, walking around outside, and laying awake just before sleep are basically the only other times I've ever had thoughts that altered courses and shit.
    please explain

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    If you don't buy more than a half of whats offered in a shop as "food", certainly you spend less.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    haha jujeki:

please explain
    Word- I'd say 1/5 of my good thinking/ideas/inspirations occur while chopping vegetables, standing and stirring something, or doing dishes.

Pooping, walking around outside, and laying awake just before sleep are basically the only other times I've ever had thoughts that altered courses and shit.
    Im sayin, preparing food is a good time where all of your attention is calmly occupied like, so good thoughts and realizations and suppressed realizations pop to the surface.

I dont know when you folks have those kindsa moments, but for me its just before sleeping, and while pooping, besides preparing food/doing dishes, and also sometimes spontaneously outside.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I get what you're saying Mr. Perfidy

reminds me of this which I read about recently Default network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    I can relate Mr. Perfidy.
    It's almost like moments of meditating.
    Sometimes I have funny memories surface up and I'll smile or giggle while preparing food or laying in bed.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    I went into it accepting it may double food costs, but possibly half health treatment costs ( though money was not the reason I did it)

The reality for me (after some time of doing this), was food costs dropped by at least 50% and health treatment costs are near zero - so for me it's much cheaper ( purely financially speaking).

For my situation and health differences I have seen, I can and would continue even if food cost more than before- though it doesn't.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ally415 View Post
    Hey guys! Sharing this video I made with you all.
    Hope to help some of you decide if it's affordable to eat healthy.
    This topic comes up a lot when I have conversations with others about a healthy lifestyle, eating healthy, organic food, etc etc. I've had personal experiences that showed me that I'm really not spending much money compared to others who don't eat very natural, so I wanted to put this thought out there to share with people who think eating healthy is expensive.

Let me know what you guys think and share your personal thoughts and experiences.

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: I buy only the best stuff, grassfed beef, raw milk, Kerrygold Butter... I put what I spend in aninflation calculator. It shows that I am spending the same, and in some cases less than people in the US did in 1940.

The problem is this: we've gotten used to spending a relatively small amount of $$ on factory produced crap food. So in a relative term, it is expensive. But the reality is it's the same as 1940.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ally415 View Post
    eKatherine ~"Not everyone who is eating SAD is sick to death. Not all of them are taking multiple medications, potions, and preparations daily. Not everyone who does switch to 100% primal finds that their allergies or acne and every other minor or major annoyance or illness goes away."

I didn't mention that everyone eating processed is sick, and that eating heathy (not necessarily Primal) is the ultimatum for healing of all illness. It may have seemed that way in the video but that's not what I meant to get across.

Various of my friends and young family members complain about acne creams in bottles that cost 15-20$ ...at least that's what they tell me when I ask them how much that was out of curiosity.

Throughout the video I have mentioned that...
    - eating healthy IS expensive, while at the same time you may end up cutting back on other costs such as medical bills and minor health problems.
    -Eating processed industrialized food IS cheap, while at the same time you may be spending more money on your health than if you had better eating habits.

In a way the spendings balance out.
    As to the bolded why not? Yes they are sick and dying and creating debilitating chronic illness at an alarming rate. Yes it is due to lifestyle and environmental factors that are within our control to change. 100% of people eating SAD are less healthy than they would be on primal. Thats right. I said it. Come get me if you think you can.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast