Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video on my thoughts: is it expensive to eat healthy? page 2

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jujeki View Post
    I agree that spending a little extra to eat right can help save in other aspects of life such as health expenses. One addition: I like to go out of my way to remove some luxuries from my life. In the end, the extra effort evens out and my body/mind find another efficient way of doing something just as well with out costly luxuries.

As for the video, maybe you could be cautious in prescribing healthy foods as the ticket to a better appearance, because though food is a big part of it, it's not the only factor. Diet is not the be-all-end-all of a healthy and fulfilled life.

(and just for fun)
    Meet Randall, the self-fulfilled local Adonis with a soft spot for animal shelters and soup kitchens.
    Now, meet Craig, the malcontent skinny-fat Scrooge who demoralizes those who do not ascribe to his level of cynicism. He also kicks cans at birds.

There are "Randall"s who eat CW and sit at the top of Maslow's pyramid.
    There are "Craig"s who consider themselves health-conscious eaters and are serial-article-forwarders-to-work-emails.

Throughout the world, you'll meet Randalls who should be named Craig and Craigs whould should be name Randall, based on what they eat.

TL,DR: Food isn't the only healthy thing.
    Thanks for bringing that up about my video! I definitely did not make it clear that healthy food is not an ultimatum for healing of all illness and better appearance. Your surroundings play a big role, your social life, your internal thoughts, and getting enough primal movement.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree that eating healthy can save you enough money in other areas to make the cost of organic, grass fed everything even out.

In addition to the things you mentioned of spending less on health care and personal care products, I also find that when I am eating nourishing food I don't need to eat as often. I eat one main meal and maybe a bite in the morning. So I'm not spending money eating every three hours to keep my blood sugar from crashing like CW folks.

Also the urge to snack is just about gone. Snack food is expensive for how little you get (e.g. a bag of potato chips) The extra little non-food items are the expensive stuff like sodas. Expensive in terms of minimal nutrition per dollar. And I'm not feeling like drinking alcohol much anymore. Another high mark up item.

I'm also eating at home more often and less in restaurants which cuts costs.

Primal also encourages people to make use of the bones turning them into delicious and nutritious broth instead of tossing them. Put the broth with some leftover veggies and you have a great soup made out of stuff that would have otherwise gone down the garbage disposal.
    yes, forgot to include that! I actually thought of that right before I read your comment It's so true! You don't need to be snacking as much, or getting frustrated that you JUST ATE and now you have to buy something else because you are so hungry from the fast digesting, high glycemic processed low quality food.
    @ VIBRANTE

Paleobird~ nice thought on the bones
    @ VIBRANTE

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    In the short run, yes, it's more expensive to eat healthy - at least in the city where I live. It's also more labor intensive.

Labor. Since I used to order pizza once a week, and I usually had a po'boy once a week, I now cook two more meals per week than I used to do. I also make bone broth which I never did before primal. Instead of shopping once every three weeks on whatever day I wanted at basically one or two grocery stores, I now have to source different things at different venues - online, farmers markets, and grocery stores. The two farmers markets here that are logistically sane are on Tuesday and Saturday - this means that I can't just run out of something and head over to get it; I have to do that on certain days.

Money. Absolutely. Whenever I go into a regular grocery store for paper products, I'm reminded of how cheap protein used to be for me. I still see CAFO pork and chicken for less than $2/lb on a regular basis. The cheapest protein by far to me now is chicken which gets to run around and retain their beaks for their whole lives and that's $3/lb. Every other source of protein is much higher.

For urban and maybe suburban dwellers, it seems clear to me that one horrifying thing about the disparity between affluence and poverty is quality of food. And offal isn't the answer. The nose to tail movement took care of that, and even tongue, heart, liver, etc. is expensive if from a pastured animal. Perhaps rural poor can mitigate this by raising some of their own food.

So, yes. Everything I eat now is 30-100% more expensive than what I was eating a year ago. It's mitigated only by the $100/month I save by not ordering pizza every week.

As to the long run, re: health care costs, I don't know. I'll report back when I'm 80.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I spend a lot on food and I cook a lot more but I have found that I actually enjoy cooking. Being in the kitchen gives me a little alone time, if you know what I mean. Good for my mental health and better for the relationship.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Word- I'd say 1/5 of my good thinking/ideas/inspirations occur while chopping vegetables, standing and stirring something, or doing dishes.

Pooping, walking around outside, and laying awake just before sleep are basically the only other times I've ever had thoughts that altered courses and shit.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    2lbs of pasta or rice and beans for a dollar or 2lbs of 4.99 meat & veg -- all else being the same as I haven't changed any other lifestyle things being mostly minimalist to consumerism way before paleo .. sorry no way around it eating healthy cost far far more then a pile of cheap filling carbs.
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 438 lbs
    11/20/2014 Current weight : 328 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 218 lbs

It IS unaffordable for a lot of people though, for whom "you will be healthier when you are old" is like a ridiculous thing to consider, because they have $24 in their pocket after paying rent and for gas to get to work.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    yep the 2 years I was basily homeless living a campground (not going into all the whys and wherefors) I had maybe maybe $20 a week at most and only if someone blessed me with that .. a nice splerge / treat was if the nasty chem inused ham chuck was 99cent per pound but it sure did make the rice and beans taste better.
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 438 lbs
    11/20/2014 Current weight : 328 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 218 lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A lot of people that grew up priviliged don't even know that they did yo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast