Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The 80/10/10 Diet by T. Colin Campbell (The China Study) page 8

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    With all this fruit and sugar talk, what are ChocoTaco's views on the widely held view that fructose is more of the demon here when talking about sugar and its contribution to non alcoholic fatty liver disease?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    Okay, I don't get it. I thought Paleo people don't like PUFA's either (I"m still learning, please take that FWIW).

For example, this link from a Pro-Paleo website is against PUFA's as well (I wanted to find a link outside of this community, although I thought the rest of the Paleo community was anti-PUFA):
    The Many Dangers Of Excess PUFA Consumption | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

I do see where you differ from this overall forum. You claim low fat, they claim high.
    I don't claim low fat. I just don't claim high fat. If you're asking me which is a better source of energy per calorie - fat or carbs - I'm going to tell you carbs. That doesn't mean I think fat should be very low.

Chicken, pork, eggs and nuts are all very high in PUFA's. The classic breakfast of eggs and bacon, especially from CAFO sources, is very high in PUFA. And when I see people making fake pancakes and breads out of nut meals and nut butters, I sort of get a chill down my spine. Fruits and starches store as saturated and omega 9 monounsaturated fats in tissues. Generally, paleo promotes a higher fat intake and a lower carb intake. A diet rich in fruits, starches and lean meats will naturally be much lower in PUFA than the classic paleo macronutrient spread because caloric surpluses in the fruits and starches will promote more saturated tissues in general (unless, say, one is doing a high fat diet composed solely of red meat, coconut and full fat dairy while avoiding poultry, pork, nuts and eggs, which is a rarity).
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jackaaron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't claim low fat. I just don't claim high fat. If you're asking me which is a better source of energy per calorie - fat or carbs - I'm going to tell you carbs. That doesn't mean I think fat should be very low.

Chicken, pork, eggs and nuts are all very high in PUFA's. The classic breakfast of eggs and bacon, especially from CAFO sources, is very high in PUFA. And when I see people making fake pancakes and breads out of nut meals and nut butters, I sort of get a chill down my spine. Fruits and starches store as saturated and omega 9 monounsaturated fats in tissues. Generally, paleo promotes a higher fat intake and a lower carb intake. A diet rich in fruits, starches and lean meats will naturally be much lower in PUFA than the classic paleo macronutrient spread because caloric surpluses in the fruits and starches will promote more saturated tissues in general (unless, say, one is doing a high fat diet composed solely of red meat, coconut and full fat dairy while avoiding poultry, pork, nuts and eggs, which is a rarity).
    So, you differ from the site in that you advocate far more fruits, and starches.

And, lean meats, but I don't think the site is anti-lean meats unless we have two different definitions of lean meats. I would ask what you think are lean meats, but I don't want to push!

I mean, top sirloin is a lean meat, there's no one that's Paleo here that's against that, I would think.

As far as starches, not sure exactly which ones I think you're advocating.

I tried this from Jan. 2013 to May 2013.

Pro's
    I had regularity.
    I lost a little weight at the beginning but it tapered off.

Con's
    I didn't gain any visible muscle weight.
    I was always bloated.
    My weight seem to stay stagnate
    The worse part was the dizzy's I got from the rush and drop of all the sugars I got when juicing.

My husband stuck to it for about 2 months and lost about 20 lbs but he also got small in muscle while before he use to be much more muscular. I thought he looked sick as if he was wasting away in a way I never seen his body/muscles.

That was our experience.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    And, lean meats, but I don't think the site is anti-lean meats unless we have two different definitions of lean meats.
    I'm definitely not an expert, but one reason is that many people make a distinction between the better sources of meat and the fats they contain, and cheaper feedlot meats and their fats. If you're getting your steak from a butcher that carries grass fed and grass fed beef from deliriously happy cows, then eat all the fat you want. But the crap and stress that cows deal with in a feedlot situation can make it's way into the fat and store there, so if you're eating junk beef from a antibiotic riddled cow that spend all day stuck in one mud piddle, which is sometimes all people can afford, then you should go for leaner cuts and get your fat elsewhere.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    So, you differ from the site in that you advocate far more fruits, and starches.

And, lean meats, but I don't think the site is anti-lean meats unless we have two different definitions of lean meats. I would ask what you think are lean meats, but I don't want to push!

I mean, top sirloin is a lean meat, there's no one that's Paleo here that's against that, I would think.

As far as starches, not sure exactly which ones I think you're advocating.
    I'll agree top sirloin is lean meat. Eye round, top round, bottom round, liver, chicken breast, pork loin, turkey breast/tenderloin, 93+% ground meats, well trimmed brisket, even filet mignon all classify as lean meats. It's really simpler than that, though. It's not adding fat to your cooking. A big stride I made was to stop frying everything. Embrace baking, roasting, broiling and braising. Get yourself a huge slow cooker. These methods are not only healthier because they are gentler on the meat and produce less carcinogens, but they're lower calorie since you're not adding tons of unnecessary refined fats (yes butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc are all refined fats regardless of pressing method, virgin or not) to your cooking.

I don't advocate eating fruit and starch for the sake of eating fruit and starch. I think it's a better overall energy source. That doesn't mean cut the fat out of your diet for these things. What it means is to embrace it all and try different ratios until you find what feels best for you. Different people are naturally going to perform better eating different foods, but I believe most of the people on this site the Carbohydrate Curve does harm. Instead of counting carbs and pouring extra refined fats onto your foods in a desperate attempt for energy, just eat real food. I don't add much fat to my foods, but I don't add much sugar, either.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jackaaron is offline Member
    I go to a poker forum what do I get? Poker advice. I come here...well...uh...

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    I think if I ate 80% carbs I would DIE. My stomach can barely handle 20%!
    10% of my calories come from carbs, and doing great (60% from fat, 30% proteins)

Loster is offline Junior Member
    Always wondered why this guy looks so unhealthy!

campbellDSC_0117opti.jpg

He's only 50 aswell!

(not really)

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'll agree top sirloin is lean meat. Eye round, top round, bottom round, liver, chicken breast, pork loin, turkey breast/tenderloin, 93+% ground meats, well trimmed brisket, even filet mignon all classify as lean meats. It's really simpler than that, though. It's not adding fat to your cooking. A big stride I made was to stop frying everything. Embrace baking, roasting, broiling and braising. Get yourself a huge slow cooker. These methods are not only healthier because they are gentler on the meat and produce less carcinogens, but they're lower calorie since you're not adding tons of unnecessary refined fats (yes butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc are all refined fats regardless of pressing method, virgin or not) to your cooking.

I don't advocate eating fruit and starch for the sake of eating fruit and starch. I think it's a better overall energy source. That doesn't mean cut the fat out of your diet for these things. What it means is to embrace it all and try different ratios until you find what feels best for you. Different people are naturally going to perform better eating different foods, but I believe most of the people on this site the Carbohydrate Curve does harm. Instead of counting carbs and pouring extra refined fats onto your foods in a desperate attempt for energy, just eat real food. I don't add much fat to my foods, but I don't add much sugar, either.
    What about coconut oil, tallow, ghee? Why wouldn't you add those fats to your cooking? They're low in PUFA right? Even olive oil is mostly monosaturated. What's the problem with them? Do you still embrace dairy btw? I've been perusing your blog.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast