Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 80/10/10 Diet by T. Colin Campbell (The China Study) page 5

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    There are countless posts about people with cold hands and feet, chills after eating and thinning hair. Do a search.
    Confirmation bias?
    If you look for it, then you're going to find it. Especially when so many of in the US apparently suffer these issues anyway, is it a surprise that you would see it mentioned in a forum largely made up if Americans trying to resolve weight/health issues?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Green Deane Guest
    The "China Study" is a farse. Vegetarian propaganda.

Chupo is offline Member
    I don't have cold hands or feet but my body temperature is usually 97.2 when low carb. It's textbook 98.6 when I'm high carb. Anyway, lower body temperature is associated with longevity in centenarians and calorie restricted animals. The same is true for thyroid hormone.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Isn't that called rabbit starvation?
    It's the opposite, that's why I said it that way. Try reading it out loud.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    [1] Please considering you know nothing about MY diet i would love for you to explain how my diet in anyway restrictive? I eat a tonne of tasty veg, along with some healthy protein and fat! That veg produces more than enough glucose for the body or do you live in some pseudoscience world?

[2]Roots are fine but grains and fruit is nutritionally poor compared to veg and not a good choice in huge amounts due to the higher glucose and fructose content.

[3]I am not going to speak for those who want to go into ketosis, that is their choice.

[4]although the brain needs some glucose fat is a much more important for brain health
    "your" was a general statement, but it sounds like your diet is quite restrictive.

No, but you must love pseudo-science, because you're advocating something that's become a fad only in the last decade or so, if that. As if cruciferous greens produce enough glucose to properly utilize, lol. You could eat pounds of them and not get enough.

If you don't eat them raw, sure, but vegetables contain concentrated toxins and anti-metabolites, ie; phenols, tannins, lectins, agglutinins, and trypsin-inhibitors, besides countless more specific metabolic inhibitors like the anti-nutrients. Cooking the shit out of a vegetable just to get something that doesn't even hold up to liver, oysters, dairy, etc; doesn't sound like a plan to me. Fruit serves far more of a purpose than the raw sum of nutrients, and wants to be eaten, so that you may repopulate the plant.

Pretty sure you should back up such a statement with some sort of source, because even the most basic understanding of biology shows that glucose is the only fuel the brain properly utilizes. There are multiple glucose transporter isoforms that play a significant role in the brain. glut1 is present at high concentrations in the blood-brain barrier as well as in parenchymal cells, glut3 is expressed in neurons, and glut5 in microglia. Those are just a few.

With all evidence pointing otherwise, I have no idea how you can make a statement like that with a straight face. Ketones are protective of mental health, but are only needed in very small amounts and are limited by transport capacity.

I'm guessing you read Mark Sisson's "the brain is fat, so this indicates it runs well on fats"?
    Last edited by Derpamix; 05-22-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Lol - so true!

1) I'm not losing weight - what am I doing wrong?
    2) Carbs vs Fat
    3) Carb flu / sugar cravings
    3) I can't sleep / have no energy / feel like I'm about to die (Oh, and I happen to be eating VLC.)
    4) Ketosis
    5) CICO
    6) The latest fad (iodine / steak and eggs / cold water therapy / potato diet etc)
    7) Binging
    8) Bullet proof coffee
    9) Argument about some foodstuff or other
    10) Evil insulin

Am I forgetting anything?
    11) How to fast for maximum benefit

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupo View Post
    I don't have cold hands or feet but my body temperature is usually 97.2 when low carb. It's textbook 98.6 when I'm high carb. Anyway, lower body temperature is associated with longevity in centenarians and calorie restricted animals. The same is true for thyroid hormone.
    BS. Your life cycle is your metabolic rate. There are no studies on this at all. There is crude epidemiology, but all that shows is that people that eat less unhealthy food live longer. There is no proven causation between caloric restriction and longevity. There is only causation proven between metabolic derangement and obesity and disease. And a low body temperature is a metabolic derangement.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    It isn't in terms of restriction. However, it's actually more efficient at producing energy. People in paleo circles think carbs are bad because their perception of how they feel on carbs is Snickers, Doritos and pasta. The funny thing is, most of the foods that are considered "carbs" (pizza, ice cream, cake, cookies, brownies, potato chips) are much higher in fat than they are in carbs. Look at the nutrition facts on all those things - pizza, ice cream, Oreos, Herrs potato chips...they are all higher in fat than carbs.

Yes, grain flour fortified with soybean oil is very, very bad. In fact, it's probably the seed oils making you feel worse than any of the toxins in the grains. 80% carbs from potatoes, apples, sweet potatoes, mangoes and bananas probably won't make you feel bad. It'll probably make you feel awesome. In addition, consuming lower fat ranges in the 10-30% range where the fat is restricted to incidental fats from ruminant meat and dairy and the rest of the energy coming from carbs from fruits and starches is probably most ideal since fruit and starch convert mostly to SFA and some omega-9 MUFA in the body. It's the ultimate low-PUFA diet, and that's what's really killing us. Polyunsaturated fat is the neolithic agent of disease. The problem I see with grains lies with gluten grains and their inherent nutrient deficiencies. Personally, I minimize grain consumption due to nutrient density, but I'm open to masa and white rice here and there. PUFA oils I avoid like the plague.
    Awesome post Choco! I agree 100 percent

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    BS. Your life cycle is your metabolic rate. There are no studies on this at all. There is crude epidemiology, but all that shows is that people that eat less unhealthy food live longer. There is no proven causation between caloric restriction and longevity. There is only causation proven between metabolic derangement and obesity and disease. And a low body temperature is a metabolic derangement.
    Centenarians also smoked.

The common factor these Centenarians and Supercentenarians all share
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    The "your" was after you quoted me but perhaps you dont understand how that works.

I have not told you much about my diet so once again you are making judgmental comments when you don't have a clue.

If you want to cook the shit out of your veg then I think you need to go to a cooking school.

Who said I wasn't eating oysters, fish, wild game, dairy etc I gave an example of one typical dinner plate, that good fat could easily be part of a lovely cream sauce. Once again you are making silly assumptions without any basis in fact.

Please provide any evidence that we need the high sugar diet you are defending here. If you are happy to base your science on what Mark says then please go ahead, I prefer to go to other authoritative sources which show the many many benefits if a lower carb diet.

There is no pseudo-science in eating a diet full of whole natural nutritionally dense foods but if you think there is please support that with some kind of evidence to show that kind of diet is bad for you.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast