Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 80/10/10 Diet by T. Colin Campbell (The China Study) page 2

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think if I ate 80% carbs I would DIE. My stomach can barely handle 20%!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    But I really have to wonder how many people can tolerate such additional severe lifelong restrictions.
    Apparently, plenty of people on this forum have no problem tolerating severe lifelong restrictions:

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    I'm pursuing a very low carb and low protein way of eating right now.

So now my goal is to get 80% of calories from fat. Or more.
    How is eating 80% carbs any more restrictive than 80% fat?

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    he advocates an 80-10-10 macros diet, (80% being carbs)...
    Face-palm!

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    The real question is where is the evolutionary basis for 80% carbs, as opposed to 80% fat for which there is a basis.

It's not about being arbitrarily restrictive.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It's no big deal, I'd say. If you tune your body right, there's a good chance you'd live a long, happy life on almost any macronutrient ratio if you ate nutrient-dense food, avoided poison, stay fit, etc. It's a bit low on protein, you'd be skinny and weak, but you'd probably still get to watch your great-grand-kids be born. Just eat real food. For some, it's low-carb. But for others, high-carb seems to be working. Without the research of actual feed-tested h. sapiens, we're all just grasping at straws in trying to define a perfect diet. I eat what I believe my own ancestors ate, lots of animals, a little plant, etc. Find your own dietary path, dial it in, and then forget about it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Apparently, plenty of people on this forum have no problem tolerating severe lifelong restrictions:
    If it doesn't feel restrictive to the person living it... is it "restrictive"?

I don't feel restricted in my food choices. I'm HFLC and quite happy.
    (Though I don't try to hit 80%... only about 65% as is needed for ketosis.)
    I also feel free of many of the symptoms of my autoimmune disease that rode me into the ground day after day for nearly 15 years... because I "restrict" myself and don't eat any grains at all.
    It's a wonderful thing IMO.

Derp is the opposite of me, he prefers low fat.

If we were to swap diets we would both likely be miserable and feel restricted however.
    Not to mention I know that I would be sick, due to my needs for my brain condition...
    And I believe that he would be too since he is very lean and has a higher metabolism, and is simply not suited to HFLC/ketosis.

Different strokes...
    People do genuinely have different needs in this world and it cannot be boiled down to one right way.
    There may be people who feel their best on 80/10/10.
    Durian Rider seems to love it and he's been doing it for years.
    Is it my place to tell him he is wrong just because he says I am?
    Probably not.

Why Vegans and Paleos Should Stop Hating Each Other | No Meat Athlete
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-21-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    80% carbs??? Why does he hate humans so much?
    I'd probably do 80% carbs before I'd do 80% fat for a multitude of health reasons, and people around here frequently shoot for the 70+% range of fat. Eek, no wonder so many people have cold hands and feet, thinning hair and body temps in the 96's around here. That being said, 10% protein is far too low. I wouldn't want to keep fat that low either because it'll encourage de novo lipogenesis. I personally like around 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs for the average person.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    It isn't in terms of restriction. However, it's actually more efficient at producing energy. People in paleo circles think carbs are bad because their perception of how they feel on carbs is Snickers, Doritos and pasta. The funny thing is, most of the foods that are considered "carbs" (pizza, ice cream, cake, cookies, brownies, potato chips) are much higher in fat than they are in carbs. Look at the nutrition facts on all those things - pizza, ice cream, Oreos, Herrs potato chips...they are all higher in fat than carbs.

Yes, grain flour fortified with soybean oil is very, very bad. In fact, it's probably the seed oils making you feel worse than any of the toxins in the grains. 80% carbs from potatoes, apples, sweet potatoes, mangoes and bananas probably won't make you feel bad. It'll probably make you feel awesome. In addition, consuming lower fat ranges in the 10-30% range where the fat is restricted to incidental fats from ruminant meat and dairy and the rest of the energy coming from carbs from fruits and starches is probably most ideal since fruit and starch convert mostly to SFA and some omega-9 MUFA in the body. It's the ultimate low-PUFA diet, and that's what's really killing us. Polyunsaturated fat is the neolithic agent of disease. The problem I see with grains lies with gluten grains and their inherent nutrient deficiencies. Personally, I minimize grain consumption due to nutrient density, but I'm open to masa and white rice here and there. PUFA oils I avoid like the plague.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think this is an area where macros are going to vary depending on gender, age, genes, health issues and activity levels. People like me and Cori really need fat for our brains. Maybe some 20-year-old guy guy with a tropical ancestry that runs marathons needs more carbs. Do what seems to work for you.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Everyone needs carbs for metabolic reasons; the body runs on glucose, not fat.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast