Thread: Cholesterol and other blood test results after 15 months Primal page

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member

Cholesterol and other blood test results after 15 months Primal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm sure some, like me, are curious what the nearly-daily bacon, steaks, eggs, olive oil, avocados, etc. etc. have on the blood. My dad, for sure, was pestering me to get blood work done since he has high cholesterol. So here it is. First: I'm 49, male, 6'-1", 177lb. (yes Primal works for me!), ditched grains and sugar back in February 2012, losing about 15lb. in the process. PBF bodyweight workouts, lots of walking, and the occasional sprints as suggested...I'm pretty much a mid-life poster child for PB.

I went for a physical a few weeks ago, but I hadn't fasted, since I figured he would order the test and I would come back fasted at another time. But he said that, although fasted is ideal, for cholesterol it's more likely I'd either be obviously OK or obviously in trouble; and that if I was borderline, I could come back for a fasted test. Oh, and when I told the Dr. I was pretty much following a paleo diet, he said "what's that?" ......

So, here it is:
    Total cholesterol: 190
    HDL ("good"): 66
    LDL ("bad"): 109
    Triglyceride: 75
    And that's non-fasted...not sure how much that skews results. But in any event, it's good news.

Interestingly, blood glucose non-fasted (I had a Primal Fuel shake with fruit about an hour before the test) was 88 (70-100 ref. range). All the other metabolic panel results were in the normal range, except GFR was borderline low (58.9, ideally above 60).

So I plan to Grok On.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Haha, that was the best part, the worry-wart chilled. I think he'll start taking this "fad" a little more seriously!

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    I'm sure some, like me, are curious what the nearly-daily bacon, steaks, eggs, olive oil, avocados, etc. etc. have on the blood. My dad, for sure, was pestering me to get blood work done since he has high cholesterol. So here it is. First: I'm 49, male, 6'-1", 177lb. (yes Primal works for me!), ditched grains and sugar back in February 2012, losing about 15lb. in the process. PBF bodyweight workouts, lots of walking, and the occasional sprints as suggested...I'm pretty much a mid-life poster child for PB.

I went for a physical a few weeks ago, but I hadn't fasted, since I figured he would order the test and I would come back fasted at another time. But he said that, although fasted is ideal, for cholesterol it's more likely I'd either be obviously OK or obviously in trouble; and that if I was borderline, I could come back for a fasted test. Oh, and when I told the Dr. I was pretty much following a paleo diet, he said "what's that?" ......

So, here it is:
    Total cholesterol: 190
    HDL ("good"): 66
    LDL ("bad"): 109
    Triglyceride: 75
    And that's non-fasted...not sure how much that skews results. But in any event, it's good news.

Interestingly, blood glucose non-fasted (I had a Primal Fuel shake with fruit about an hour before the test) was 88 (70-100 ref. range). All the other metabolic panel results were in the normal range, except GFR was borderline low (58.9, ideally above 60).

So I plan to Grok On.

Non-fasted blood lipid readings may actually be more important because they represent a person's truer baseline since most humans are not actively fasting throughout the day.

The GFR reading should be monitored, any older GFR readings to compare with? Any personal or family history of Kidney Disease, or type 2 Diabetes?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Non-fasted blood lipid readings may actually be more important because they represent a person's truer baseline since most humans are not actively fasting throughout the day.
    Depends on which ones doesn't it?
    I know quite a few around here fast during the day for the most part.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Thanks for the thought Stephen--no earlier tests of this, but no kidney disease or type 2 in our family. I wonder if/how fasting affects this reading? And if high protein consumption (I had JUST downed about 25g) affects it as well.

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Good numbers! Work on getting those trigs a little bit lower. Under 70 is ideal, but I will say a trig-to-HDL ratio of under 1 is also a solid marker, and you're pretty much at that. The scary thing is, some docs would want to put you on a statin with a cholesterol of 190 and LDL 109.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    you should ignore the GFR as you do need to fast for 12 hours. The plasma creatinine the test is based on differs greatly in the fasted and unfasted states. The fasting PC, your weight, age, gender and ethnicity provide a formula to work out GFR so your result is worthless really.

Thanks, Carbdodger, good to know. Next time I'll go in fasted...

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    my pleasure, Tom. I didn't want you to worry about kidney failure and cut your protein needlessly. Most of the fasting tests involve analysis of chemicals that differ considerably during eating, postprandial and fasting, Fasting provides a workable baseline so you fit into the bell curve sucking a sweet or putting milk in coffee before a fasting glucose for example can be enough to put some people into the diabetic range of blood results.
    Next time do the fasting, you'll probably find your cholesterol in the acceptable range too. Blood results are interesting. I get a FBC, WC, U+Es, LFTs and cholesterol on a weekly basis because of a health problem and its been really good to see everything start to improve, stabilise and drop into the normal range. Its good reinforcement to stay primal and good ammunition for those who tell me the WOE is bad