Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirataki Noodles (Miracle Noodle) page

NATLES is offline Member

Question Shirataki Noodles (Miracle Noodle)

Primal Fuel
    Anyone heard of Shirataki noodles? Someone at work is ordering them for her gluten free diet. They are almost no carbs, no protein, calories etc. They are made out of the shirataki konjac root. Would this be considered primal?

Natalie

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Primal or not let me just say that they are terrible. Imagine a plate of al-dente rubber bands. Similar in taste and texture.

mikegee2 is offline Member
    I would almost consider these in the "condiment" group that paleobird talks about..onions, mushrooms

hirataki (白滝?, often written with the hiragana しらたき) are very low carbohydrate, low calorie, thin, translucent, gelatinous traditional Japanese noodles made from devil's tongue yam (elephant yam or the konjac yam).[1] The word "shirataki" means "white waterfall", describing the appearance of these noodles. Largely composed of water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber, they have little flavor of their own.

Shirataki noodles can be found both in dry and soft "wet" forms in Asian markets and some supermarkets. When wet, they are purchased pre-packaged in liquid. They normally have a shelf life of up to one year. Some brands may require rinsing or par-boiling as the water they are packaged in has an odor that may be unpleasant to those not accustomed to it.

Alternatively, the noodles can be drained and dry roasted. This gets rid of the bitterness. It also makes the noodles have a more pasta like consistency. Dry roasting is done by placing noodles in a non-stick skillet on high for a minute or until you hear a slight squeaking noise when moving them around. After that they are ready to be added to soup stock or have a sauce added to them.[2]

There are two types of shirataki noodles sold in the United States. Traditional shirataki noodles have zero net carbohydrates, no food energy[citation needed], and no gluten, and they are useful for those on low-carbohydrate diets.[3] Tofu-based shirataki-style noodles are becoming increasingly popular in U.S. supermarkets and health food stores. They have a much shorter shelf life and require refrigeration even before opening. Tofu-based noodles contain a minimal amount of carbohydrate.[4]

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I really like them, but then I'm weird like that.

When I used to eat cheetos, I liked them stale better than fresh, so there you go.

Anyway, just wanted to say, that they sell them in regular supermarkets, usually
    in the produce area where the tofu is and stuff. Tofu based ones AND the other
    yam root ones too.

So get a little package and try them out, don't order them, not necessary.

Assuming you have big chain grocery stores where you are.

Probably have them at Whole Foods too, but you'll pay through the nose
    for them. Lame.

Good luck!

Julie

p.s. definitely have them at asian markets too, in the refrigerated
    section

diene is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating them on my down days. I like them fine, but I'm trying to stop relying on them as a freaking crutch. Here's Mark's take on them.

Dear Mark: Apple Cider Vinegar, DNA Damage, Lactaid, and Miracle Noodles | Mark's Daily Apple

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    They have a characteristic Japanese taste. You have to like them. I do, but I wouldn't serve them except with Japanese food.

Paleobird Guest
    I have eaten them but they are almost pure dietary fiber and I find them to have a plugging up effect on my digestive system.

A better option is kelp noodles. The Sea Tangle brand has a website where you can order directly. The kelp noodles also have a lot of nutrition in addition to soaking up your marinara. Not the least of which is a great supply of iodine.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Disgusting, it is like eating cooked rubber. They have no taste and are hard to chew, at one point I was wondering whether I was eating food or just some chemically processed concoction.

Don't waste your money.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I bought them at Whole Foods, made Giada's marinara sauce, cooked little grass-fed meatballs and then dry roasted the noodles as mike noted above and added all together, quite good when you haven't had pasta in a year.

Recipe: Tomato basil marinara

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 small onions, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 stalks celery, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
    2 (32 ounces each) cans crushed tomatoes
    2 dried bay leaves
    2 cups basil, chopped
    Preparation
    In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and ˝ teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
    Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bayleaf. Stir in the chopped basil. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper to taste.
    Total cooking time: 1 hour and 20 minutes

DFord is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The wife and I tried them for the first time not too long ago. We both liked them. Personally I couldn't tell the difference between traditional pasta and these from a taste standpoint. Not something I would eat all the time obviously but sometimes you just have a taste for pasta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast