Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Katie's Not-So-Primal Journal page

Katie82 is offline Senior Member

Katie's Not-So-Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Maybe I'll rename it my Primal Journal after I get a better grip on this diet. But, for now I am making small changes one at a time.
    I've already eliminated sugar except for a teaspoon here and there in coffee. Right now I'm working on the grains with an emphasis on getting the gluten grains out of my diet. I'm still eating grains a few times a week though. And, beans, sweet corn and dairy I have reduced but never ate that much of anyway. I would still say that my diet is about 80% primal even though I have not completely eliminated certain things I just don't eat them that much.

Anyway, I'm really not into counting carbs or figuring out percentages or obsessing over how many times I've eaten "bad" food. I don't beat myself up when I do eat something high carb or whatever...I just go for a walk to try to blunt the insulin response and eat low carb for a while until next time....

I'm doing this to try to turn around my life and not let myself be taken over by problems that are arising in my body over the last couple of years (or, I guess my whole life with symptoms just showing up now)
    I'm trying to totally reverse PCOS and pre-diabetes and high triglycerides with my diet and I'm trying to lose weight which thankfully is just happening naturally for the first time in my life since I started eating a more natural diet for me. I always thought I ate a healthy, natural diet. I was vegetarian for 7 years! I was obsessed with calories, fat, and only eating natural foods, no fast food, only whole grains. I had no idea that I was causing all the problems I have now. i always thought it was just hard for me to lose weight or I wasn't doing enough to stay healthy and I was just lazy...and now I finally have figured out that my body hates carbs...of all things. The one thing I never counted, never concerned myself with. To think of the problems I could have spared myself if I had just read Taubes or Eades sooner or had I questioned anything I read in those stupid fitness magazines. but, no...

None of that matters now. I am only 27, I can reverse everything that is trying to take over me right now. I just don't have the head start I would have had if I had known all this earlier in life but, I don't care. I have to do this for me and my 2 little girls who are only 2 years old (twins) and maybe I can spare them from developing health issues that run so rampant in my family. I'm going to list my health concerns so I can look back when I am questioning whether I am getting anywhere and see what's changed. And, I'm going to list my weight, and fasting blood sugar and try to update those every few days (I don't have insurance so I have to buy my own test strips and I use them infrequently)
    Here goes:

Weight: 227~ down 23 lbs since the start of this year. I'm 5'7" and my goal weight is about 150 but we shall see when I get there what weight my body wants to settle at while eating a primal diet. I am not obsessed with my weight like I used to be before kids. I have come to appreciate my body for totally different reasons than what I look like in a bikini and that is SO liberating!

This morning's blood sugar: 114, Yikes. It has been hovering around 108 but I ate too late lastnight, like 9:30 p.m.

Other health issues:

Triglycerides: last I knew were 251 (a year ago) and then I lost my health insurance and I haven't been back to get them retested since. I'm expecting to get insurance again in a few months and will be going to the doc for that one. I know they had been high for a couple years but my stupid doctor at the time told me to go on a low fat diet and it didn't help. (Imagine that)

PCOS: Diagnosed during my twin pregnancy but once I read up on the symptoms I realized I had probably had it for years since I had irregular periods for soooo long that actually started 7 years ago when I came off of being a veggie for 7 years. I figured it was the poor health of my meat eating diet. Nope, it was the carbs. Since going low carb, low grain, and low sugar my periods have restored to normal so far. WOW, this has been the most noticeable change so far.

Undiagnosed Fatigue and chronic pain disorder: started during pregnancy. A lot of pain every day, some days are worse than others. I try not to take pain meds but sometimes do. Pain is mostly in my hips, legs and knees but sometimes everywhere like I have the flu and it's those kind of body aches.
    I thought this was from pregnancy, and then after pregnancy I thought it was from lack of sleep and carrying two babies around all day. After they turned 1 and I was no longer carrying them around all day and was gettign more sleep and still fatigued and in a lot of pain I went to the doctor who took a bunch of blood tests which all came back normal. And, that's where that stands today.
    Every woman in my family has some kind of autoimmune disorder except me... so far. So, I don't know what is going on with me but I want it to go away!

Asthma: I've had since 11 and it is pretty much controled except for after getting sick.

Allergies: Always, got worse after I moved from home at 19. Got to be severe for a while like I would feel sick every allergy season and if I went in a house with pets I would have very bad reactions. This year, since reducing grains I have felt like 90% better. That's another pretty dramatic change.

Eye problems: I've noticed sensitivity to light and trouble focusing sometimes but not so much on either of these since eating better. I'm just writing it down because it was getting really bad for a while.

Hmmm, I think that's about it and I'm sick of writing SO I hope to look back on this 6 months from now and say wow, I have NONE of that any more! That would be great.

As anyone who is reading this can see I am not doing this for vanity reasons, but health reasons, and quite possibly political and environmental reasons but those take a back seat to my health. However, I feel I have finally found what is good for me, good for the earth (we support local farmers) and bad for big bussiness bastards and it feels great to have found something that works on every front that I care about!

I'll update my food intake later.
    ~Katie

Food today:

B: 4 strips bacon, 2 eggs fried in bacon fat and butter
    coffee with milk and tsp sugar

L: salad with ham and cheese. that's it, I was really lazy

mid-afternoon: DD med. iced coffee with cream and sugar (Coffee is my one true addiction, and I don't know how to break it but I'm working on drinking less and with less sugar)

D: 3 meatballs with sauce, big serving steamed broccoli and zucchini with butter. Yum.

Other food: a few pieces of beef jerky and some chicken wings (non-battered from whole foods) with hot sauce after dinner. I've got to work on eating this time of day...

I almost always eat dinner early with my girls and then find myself hungry or just wanting to snack at night. Either I don't eat enough at dinner or haven't had enough fat or protein for the day. I don't know but I really need to stop eating after dark. That's a goal I'm working on right now. I don't think it's a matter of having will power at night, I think on the days where I get more from my meals during the day I don't feel the need to eat at night.

Looking forward to the weekend so I can get outside and get some sun and play with my girls!

Oh, I'm so tired. eating this weekend was disgraceful. let's just say there was wheat, sugar, and alcohol in abundance.
    Weekends always get me, my husband is a ridiculously bad influence on me. But I shouldn't blame him, it is my fault for not planning better, or giving in too easy, or whatever my issue is.
    On the plus side we visited a farmers market saturday and picked up some grass-fed/pastured meat. ground beef, ground pork, sweet italian sausage and chicken legs and thighs. It all looks so good but so expensive. Geez, I try my best to get as much organic everything, pastured everything as I can possibly afford for the family but I still have to rely on conventional meat more than I'd like due to the price. For now anyway, I have to find some more freezer space and start buying more in bulk.

And sunday was great, I fasted through lunch. We went to a park on the ocean and I got to walk around barefoot on sand and rocks... I felt like a little kid again climbing around barefoot on the rocks like I used to all the time at the beaches in Maine. Then we went to On The Border for dinner, I ate mostly meat and some salsa with chips but downed one too many margaritas. whoops. I hardly ever drink so it's not a big deal.

Today, I am just picking myself up, dusting off and starting over. I got 8 or 9 hrs of sleep lastnight but I am still tired. Didn't eat breakfast this morning. Around 11:30 I had coffee with 2 advils and then went to lunch with my girls and my husband. I wasn't hungry enough to pay $8 for a salad so I got a hot dog for 2.50 with sauerkraut, relish and mustard. no bun. and ate some coleslaw and a few onion rings that I shared with my little ones. Not great but I am recovering today and tomorrow will be better
    Tonight for dinner i am planning steak and sweet potatoes and spinach then no more eating for atleast 14-16 hrs. I need a break.
    I need to figure out what an anti-inflammatory and primal diet would look like because I am in a lot of pain today especially and I need help with that without pain meds. I know in the PB Mark says a primal diet is naturally anti-inflammatory but I think I need it to be more so.

Anyway, my LO's are down for a nap and I am going to lay down whether i sleep or not.

I last updated monday. I did do the 14 hr fast I planned, not really a big deal. I noticed after eating sweet potatoes and spinach I was much less achey the next day so I'm going to try to get some more of these powerful anti-inflammatory foods in my diet.
    Today I fasted for about 16 hrs. Again, not bad. I'm working my way up to a 24 hr fast. I broke my fast with 6 chicken wings with ranch dressing. I know, awful. Not exactly PB style, more like Atikins! I've got to get better food in the house.
    Lastnight I cheated and ate a sandwich...and a slice of pizza...and bowl of ice cream. Wow, I can't believe I'm admitting this on this site. I need a kick in the ass.

I'm up 3 lbs, I'm sure it's all water weight because even with my carb addiction I'm doing IF and eating less the rest of the time. SO, I'm starting just a 10 day challenge today and ending Fri the 28th to see if I can stick to it and lose 10 lbs in 10 days (If I didn't think I was retaining so much water I would say less, I try to be realistic) Today the weather sucks but tomorrow and for the next week it's supposed to be warm and dry so I can get out and move a lot more. I love taking my girls to the playground so I can do pull ups on the bars and climb around on the stuff....if there's not too many other mommy's around

Tonight is a big pot roast I'm cooking in the oven right now with onions and carrots and potatoes but I won't eat the potatoes, that's for my skinny family.
    Looking forward to see if I can actually get my body to drop weight that fast. I think it's way easier trying to do this way of eating than any other I have tried.

Evita is offline Senior Member
    I like the idea of mini goals....sometimes I go as short term as a day! keep up the good work!

Thanks Evita, yeah I have to set my goals very small or else I get overwhelmed.

So, today was good. I am getting myself back on track and I intend to stay here this time.

B: 4 slices bacon, and 2 eggs fried in bacon fat.

L: salad with hot sauce...weird craving but good. Leftover pot roast with 1 tiny potato and onions and gravy(homemade) oh, it was soooo good. And I was so full I took a little napbefore my kiddos woke up from theirs.

D: I made ratatoulie (sp?) with zucchini, pepper, eggplant, roasted garlic, and organic tomatoes and pastured italian sausage. It was amazing, seriously. I didn't even miss the pasta.

Extras: 2 coffees with cream and a little sugar and a hunk of mozzarella cheese I just ate.

Now I'm going to bed hopefully for 8 hrs.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Hey Katie,

One thing I'm noticing is that you're vitamin D deficient - by your symptoms. The fibromyalgia, the PCOS, type II diabetes etc.

My D post below (sig line) may be helpful. The Vitamin D Council is the very best sources of D information around. All the scientific cites you could ever want....and more

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Hey Katie,

One thing I'm noticing is that you're vitamin D deficient - by your symptoms. The fibromyalgia, the PCOS, type II diabetes etc.

My D post below (sig line) may be helpful. The Vitamin D Council is the very best sources of D information around. All the scientific cites you could ever want....and more

K
    You think so? I read awhile ago that my symptoms could be Osteomalacia which would make sense since all this started in pregnancy and my babies were sucking all the nutrients out of me. But at that time I lived in FL and got quite a bit of sun exposure. Regardless, I started taking 2,000 I.U. of vit D3 a day and have been for over 2 months now with absolutely no imrovement in my symptoms. So I don't know? I'm afraid to take more without being tested for D deficiency first and I can't afford the test right now. Also, I don't think it's Fibromyalgia since my mom has that and based on the way she decribed the pain being in certain pressure points in her body it doesn't sound like me but againI'm not sure. I wish I could go to a doctor again.
    Thanks for the info though! Maybe I will start increasing my dosage of vit D a little and get some more sun!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Yes, your symptoms definitely sound like FM.

2,000 IU per D daily in FL in the winter isn't enough total D.

Now that you're into the vitamin d 'summer', you can get
    midday
    unprotected (no sunscreen)
    full body (ie bikini)
    summer sun exposure to the point just before a burn would occur - on *both* sides of your body*. if that's 5 min per side - great. if it's 45....so be it. For very very dark skinned idividuals (ie think west africa), this will be six hours per day at a sufficiently low latitude.

On days that you can't get that levels of sun, take sufficient D (read everything you can). I track D for about 100 people - most of whom are very sun protective - they need 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day that they don't get appropriate sun.

You'll also need sufficient magnesium, boron, K and zinc to really feel the effects of the D working....see my links below - incl my journal and supplements. The journal details some of the health challenges that I've completely overcome. LMK if you have questions.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Katie from a fellow twin Mom (my boys are 5). They DO take it out of you!!! I sooo recognize my "life with twin toddlers" in your posts. My kids are old enough now not to need constant attention (14,7,5,and 5), but the best way I've found to stay on-track with eating PB-style is to always have something easy/quick on hand - deviled eggs (although they don't stick around the house long LOL), pre-cooked burgers to microwave, beef jerky, pre-cooked bacon (something else that goes fast!!!), macadamia nuts ... you get the picture. If I'm eating enough fat, the "kid food" doesn't tempt me.

I second cillakat on the vit D, magnesium, and zinc. Since starting PB and those supplements 3 months ago, I sailed through the entire allergy season without a single sinus infection or even a cold (before, I'd be from work out a couple days nearly every month from some bug). I've also weaned off my blood pressure meds and my PMDD is more like standard PMS - and each month is better

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast