Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GI Issues while going Primal page 2

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I followed a primal diet for a few months and over time I became chronically constipated having a bowel movement once every three days. I tried upping the fat and that would help for a while but eventually I would plateau and fall back into bad bowel habits. Ever since adding grains like quinoa and brown rice, I've been having a bowel movement just about everyday. My theory is that fiber really is essential and I wasn't getting enough when I was primal but adding in the grains worked like a charm.

Let me know your thoughts!
    Why do you feel the need to go to the bathroom everyday? If you're not constipated (pain) then you're fine.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I have this issue also, like if I don't go for 2-3 days then it hurts really bad and I bleed when I go. So I take a lot of magnesium everyday and it works for me. But if I miss just one day of magnesium then I'm all screwed up inside for a week.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    I have this issue also, like if I don't go for 2-3 days then it hurts really bad and I bleed when I go. So I take a lot of magnesium everyday and it works for me. But if I miss just one day of magnesium then I'm all screwed up inside for a week.
    That could be something very serious. See a doctor.

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I have no way to see a doctor. And I am sure its from going primal because before that I was fine. It started 1-2 weeks after me going primal. Now if I ever have the chance to go see a doctor I will bring it up but I have no insurance and don't have $300 to spend to pay for a visit for myself.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    more veggies!

if i dont make veggies the bulk of my diet, things slow waaay down

batty is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/poop-health/

i think that taking a dump daily is a lot of CW hype. if you go a few days without pooping, and you are not experiencing any discomfort during that time, or when you do have a BM, then i would not be too worried.

The key to a healthy gastronomical tract is not roughage but bacteria. The large intestine’s natural bacteria, which help comprise stool bulk, maintain water content and soften the stool. (Sounds like those ads, huh?) Fiber, particularly excessive insoluble fiber, offering a quick jump start to things is not the natural catalyst for a healthy excretory system.

i would suggest either eating some yogurt or looking into probiotics.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

strom is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't excess fiber besides tearing up your intestines mucus lining, give a lot of food for bacteria to feast on? And this could lead to overgrowth of bacteria which could cause a lot of problems. I think lack of pain and straining are better indicators of health.

I wonder if I should cook celery and carrots, since most vegetables i have to cook to be able to eat them. Can you cook a salad as well? or perhaps ferment it?

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    Doesn't excess fiber besides tearing up your intestines mucus lining
    technically, fiber tears up the cells of your intestines, and the mucus produced is how it protects itself.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/f...-fore-and-aft/

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

strom is offline Senior Member
    Too much mucus could block the absorbtion of the villi.

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiber-Menace-C...6013600&sr=8-1

Just like others said, give yourself some time to adjust, and up the fat and veggies. I no longer subscribe to the high-fiber myth after reading this book and experiencing my own gut changes.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast