Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Looking for a little help! page

  1. #1
    Driedmango's Avatar
    Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    163

    Looking for a little help!

    Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone!
    I'm a 5'1 19 year old (currently 59ish kg - eeek it's scary putting that out there). I went from 65 kg to 51kg last year (through severe calorie cutting and chronic cardio) and ended up with a few health issues (lost my period, had below minimum muscle mass according to my doctor) so I had to keep gaining till everything settled down.
    I've been trying to get down to 53ish (the number my doctor gave me - but really I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin) since the start of this year, but I've been pretty unsuccessful. I did the 21 day primal challenge and that was great, but now I keep falling off the primal wagon. I think I don't quite believe in myself anymore, so I keep sabotaging myself through binges. I feel pretty alone (athletic siblings, and friends who don't care about what they eat) and I don't feel comfortable saying 'I'm trying to lose weight' to anyone.
    I was really hoping I could find some support on here (and maybe someone to kick my ass a little and keep me accountable) because I really want to get back on track and I desperately want to be happy with myself. I know I don't have THAT much to lose, but it's a psychological thing and enough to make me feel horrible.
    It's always a lot easier to express yourself on the internet, isn't it?

    Thank you in advance for any replies!
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

  2. #2
    ilovesteak's Avatar
    ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    274
    As far as the binges go, try to find out what triggers them. Sometimes it's a certain food or a certain mood. Sometimes it's alcohol. When you've discovered what the trigger is, avoid it and see if it cuts down on the binging.

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Driedmango's Avatar
    Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    As far as the binges go, try to find out what triggers them. Sometimes it's a certain food or a certain mood. Sometimes it's alcohol. When you've discovered what the trigger is, avoid it and see if it cuts down on the binging.

    Good luck!
    I think it's the mood thing, one where I just think 'well I'm never going to have that amazing transformation and get that magic body' so I just go ahead and binge. I don't know how to control it, but I'll try my best!

    Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

  4. #4
    Driedmango's Avatar
    Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    Hey! I'm sorry you're really struggling to stay on track. I started a thread a while back when I felt kind of down-and-out and wanted some support for myself, and for anyone else who wanted help, too. Sometimes, it's good to just let your feelings out anonymously on the internet and still get informative feedback! Sometimes, we need to find a medical route to the problem, sometimes, we need to decide if our emotions are getting in the way, and other times, we may simply not be feeding our bodies proper nutrition. Whatever it may be, though, you can come here to figure it out: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83484.html

    Hope I could help, feel free to message me or post on the thread anytime you need, I check it regularly, and sometimes post on there too, when I've fallen a bit off-track.
    I actually JUST spotted your thread and was contemplating posting there! Thank you so much for your reply!
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

  5. #5
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Driedmango View Post
    I think it's the mood thing, one where I just think 'well I'm never going to have that amazing transformation and get that magic body' so I just go ahead and binge. I don't know how to control it, but I'll try my best!
    You are punishing yourself. The little voice is saying, "See, you failed. You always fail. You don't deserve to be thin, so I'm going to make sure it doesn't happen. And you'll feel so guilty afterwards that you gave in that you won't ask what happened."

  6. #6
    spuggygirl's Avatar
    spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    290
    I think eKatherine is right...certainly it's what I used to do. I used to have a bad comfort/binge eating problem.

    What worked for me was moving the focus away from losing weight/fat and concentrating on being healthy. Whenever I wanted to eat something I asked myself how I wanted the meal to make me feel - light, healthy and energised or heavy, lethargic and guilty. It helped me to make good choices. Then I got to a point where I felt good most of the time and so the chances of making bad choices reduced massively because I knew how bad I'd feel afterwards...that moment of comfort/pleasure became not worth the guilt and self-loathing, never mind the lethargy, bloatedness and the horrible over-full feeling.

    I fell off the wagon sometimes, but over time the lapses became less and less frequent and much less severe until I had absolutely no urge to over-indulge on junk.

    A few other important things for me was to get over the perfectionist tendencies I've always had...I was always very much an 'all or nothing' person and would beat myself up if I wasn't perfect. Over a long time I started to be gentle with myself, to understand that I didn't have to be perfect and that baby steps were fine...I didn't have to do everything at once, and certainly not everything perfectly first time.

    Finally, in getting over the diet mentality it was important for me not to feel deprived. Feeling as if foods were good and bad and that I couldn't have certain things would be a sure way to make me obsess over them and end up bingeing on them. So, I found foods that didn't trigger binges but which felt indulgent - 90% chocolate is my current indulgence...I can quite happily stop at 2 squares but it stops me from feeling deprived.

    Anyway - long post but maybe some of what I've experienced can help you recognise some patterns and help give some ideas to overcome. Good luck.

  7. #7
    Driedmango's Avatar
    Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You are punishing yourself. The little voice is saying, "See, you failed. You always fail. You don't deserve to be thin, so I'm going to make sure it doesn't happen. And you'll feel so guilty afterwards that you gave in that you won't ask what happened."
    I honestly can't deny that that does go through my head. I just wish i knew how to keep it out!
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

  8. #8
    Driedmango's Avatar
    Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    I think eKatherine is right...certainly it's what I used to do. I used to have a bad comfort/binge eating problem.

    What worked for me was moving the focus away from losing weight/fat and concentrating on being healthy. Whenever I wanted to eat something I asked myself how I wanted the meal to make me feel - light, healthy and energised or heavy, lethargic and guilty. It helped me to make good choices. Then I got to a point where I felt good most of the time and so the chances of making bad choices reduced massively because I knew how bad I'd feel afterwards...that moment of comfort/pleasure became not worth the guilt and self-loathing, never mind the lethargy, bloatedness and the horrible over-full feeling.

    I fell off the wagon sometimes, but over time the lapses became less and less frequent and much less severe until I had absolutely no urge to over-indulge on junk.

    A few other important things for me was to get over the perfectionist tendencies I've always had...I was always very much an 'all or nothing' person and would beat myself up if I wasn't perfect. Over a long time I started to be gentle with myself, to understand that I didn't have to be perfect and that baby steps were fine...I didn't have to do everything at once, and certainly not everything perfectly first time.

    Finally, in getting over the diet mentality it was important for me not to feel deprived. Feeling as if foods were good and bad and that I couldn't have certain things would be a sure way to make me obsess over them and end up bingeing on them. So, I found foods that didn't trigger binges but which felt indulgent - 90% chocolate is my current indulgence...I can quite happily stop at 2 squares but it stops me from feeling deprived.

    Anyway - long post but maybe some of what I've experienced can help you recognise some patterns and help give some ideas to overcome. Good luck.
    Absolutely everything you said made sense to me. I have that 'all or nothing' mentality too, and so when i end up slipping its like ahhh what the heck, time to eat evvveryyything.
    But i do agree that putting the focus on eating healthy and eating what makes me feel good is key. I genuinely love eating primal, because it makes me feel clean, both inside and out. I think that even doing that, the fat loss would come along as a bonus.
    I think i need to give myself time, and stop being so hard on myself. Most importantly , i need to believe in myself again.

    Thank you both so much for your answers!
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

  9. #9
    Owen's Avatar
    Owen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    783
    Can I ask whether, when you try to go primal, you also go low carb at the same time? I've managed to stay on track for 6 months now, and I'm pretty pleased with myself, but I haven't been low carb - I tend to eat plenty of fruit and safe starches. my weight loss has probably been slower as a result, but it's more manageable, and I am definitely controlling my weight in a healthy and sustainable way.

  10. #10
    Driedmango's Avatar
    Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    163
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I actually have been low carbing recently. When i first started off i didnt count carbs at all (lots of fruits and nuts), and i didnt seem to have any issues. Now that you mention it though, my carbs were getting really low before i went and had a glorious bingefest. I might try upping the carbs and see how that works.
    Thank you for your reply, Owen ! And congratulations on your success!
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •