Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Aminos and Crystals? page

nuttykitchen is offline Senior Member

Wink Coconut Aminos and Crystals?

We just came up with a new glaze - check it out. How do you think we could improve on it? It is truly amazing tasting, already...but this forum always has awesome ideas. What would you do to add to it?

Amino Glazed Cod
    • serves 2 hungry primals
    • prep and active time 10 minutes
    • shown with some sautéed asparagus

Ingredients
    3 8 oz Cod Filets
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon Coconut Crystals
    1 tablespoon Coconut Aminos
    1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
    2 cloves Garlic chopped
    1 pinch Sea salt to taste
    1 pinch Black Pepper to taste

Instructions
    Heat all ingredients on medium, with the exception of the crystals. Once all ingredients are warm and mixed well, stir in the crystals until it’s dissolved. Reduce heat but keep warm.

Fish:
    3 Cod filets 8oz each
    1 tablespoon coconut oil

Coat cast iron pan with coconut oil, and add filets on medium – high heat. Use basting brush to coat filets on both sides until fish is cooked through 5-8 minutes depending on heat and pan used.
    Nutty Kitchen

cook for life!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    What are coconut aminos and crystals?!
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Hello Tara Tootie!

Coconut Aminos is made from coconut tree sap that oozes from the coconut blossoms. This sap is very low GI of only 35 and is packed with amino acids, minerals vitamin C, etc. Check out the link. We found this new cool coconut site.

The crystals are also derived from the coconut blossoms. It is also super low on the GI and has 17 amino acids and a nearly neutral pH. We don't like overly sweet stuff and usually don't have much of a need for sweeteners, but in glazes, this stuff is amazing! This is the first time that we used coconut crystals and it is fantastic. I emailed Mark Sisson earlier today asking him what he thought of using them. We'll see what he says, but the research so far that I've seen looks pretty cool.

Let me know what you think. J
    Nutty Kitchen

cook for life!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I love coconut aminos!
    I know what would improve your already yummy glaze- minced fresh ginger! Maybe some black sesame seeds, too (pretty and yummy!)

Ooooohhh yes, ginger! and sesame seeds. Thank you! Yummm
    Nutty Kitchen

cook for life!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    where can I get these? My whole foods doesn't have coconut aminos and that website is out of 1990. And no online ordering? (

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttykitchen View Post
    I emailed Mark Sisson earlier today asking him what he thought of using them. We'll see what he says, but the research so far that I've seen looks pretty cool.
    Did he ever reply? Would you mind sharing what he said?

I just saw these in my grocery store today. DYING to get the coconut aminos (my ds has a soy intolerance, and I've read its a great sub for soy sauce, which would really open up a lot of options cooking wise for me...) Of course my store only has the crystals and sap atm...

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttykitchen View Post
    We found this new cool coconut site.

The crystals are also derived from the coconut blossoms. It is also super low on the GI and has 17 amino acids and a nearly neutral pH. We don't like overly sweet stuff and usually don't have much of a need for sweeteners, but in glazes, this stuff is amazing!
    Consider the coconut crystals sugar - and at "only 16% glucose", the rest is probably fructose.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    and at "only 16% glucose", the rest is probably fructose.
    I don't think so cilla. Here is what Rachel Matesz has to say: http://www.thehealthycookingcoach.co...nts-or-pr.html

Whereas agave nectar has a fructose content of 90%, Coconut Nectar contains only 1.5% fructose with the remaining sugars in the form of sucrose (16%), and FOS, a prebiotic inulin that feeds the friendly flora in your intestines (82%). Coconut Nectar provides a sweet taste without the high fructose content or side effects of agave nectar, corn syrup, or HFCS
    I *believe* the crystals are a dehydrated form of the nectar. Not certain on that though. I also have no idea of the pros/cons of FOS...

Not saying we should go around eating this stuff, but it's intriguing to me--I'd be interested in comparing the fructose content to sweeteners like honey and maple syrup...May be a good option for those using sweeteners?? *shrug*

ETA: As far as sweeteners go, I personally prefer stevia to just about everything else. In baking, it seems to do better with just a tad of another sweetener (I typically use maple syrup for that...although the coconut crystals seem to have a lower carb count, and possibly less fructose?? I'm interested in looking into all this more though!!)
    Last edited by FairyRae; 10-06-2010 at 10:39 PM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    I don't think so cilla. Here is what Rachel Matesz has to say: http://www.thehealthycookingcoach.co...nts-or-pr.html

Whereas agave nectar has a fructose content of 90%, Coconut Nectar contains only 1.5% fructose with the remaining sugars in the form of sucrose (16%), and FOS, a prebiotic inulin that feeds the friendly flora in your intestines (82%). Coconut Nectar provides a sweet taste without the high fructose content or side effects of agave nectar, corn syrup, or HFCS

Super cool! Thanks for investigating further. Today I purchased the aminos and will be headed back for the nectar.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast