Thread: How to Find Help w/Knees page

HelloMeteor is offline Member

How to Find Help w/Knees

Shop Now
    I have been trying to get my knees fixed for 8 years. In that time they have only gotten worse.

I've been through at least a dozen bouts of PT, seen as many doctors, had several MRI's, more x-rays, EMG's.

No one can seem to make any sense of it. I'll go through a round of PT, and the therapist will essentially say I'm all better, when my legs feel no better whatsoever, and if I actually try to squat, or anything like that, it will feel terrible, and if I keep up with it, I get pain.

It honestly seems like the whole PT industry is a fraud. One big joke. Keep cycling through patients, and unless they have a simple easy to fix problem, just get them through the month or two cycle of PT, deem them better, and shove them out the door with no interest in actually persisting and figuring out how to actually help them.

I'm incredibly frustrated, and I don't know where to turn and no one has any good advice.

It seems like I should be able to find a coach, or something like this, a person who can take some actual committed interest in seeing things through, organizing treatments, until I can say, squat 315 comfortably, or something like that.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    That sucks. But finding a professional that can help you isn't an easy task. If you are anywhere near the Twin Cities (MN), I would recommend Adam T Glass (he also does some phone consulting and has a website with some excellent articles, though you will have to dig to get to them).

But, there are a lot of unanswered questions that a professional would need before even attempting to help you:

1) Your stats (age, gender, height, weight, etc).
    2) What ranges of motions cause you pain? Does changing the weight (such as decreasing it by lifting the leg off the ground) change the pain you feel?
    3) Is the pain consistent on a day to day basis? Or does it change over time?
    4) Since childhood, what major injuries have you had?
    5) What is your movement history (such as daily physical activity as well as any sports or other impact related activities) since childhood?
    6) What have you tried to help this problem? Did any of the treatments make it better or worse?

diene is offline Senior Member
    I think there are good professionals out there who can help you. The trick is finding them. If you live in the Philly area I can recommend a coach/personal trainer who can help you with mobility issues and the like. I can also recommend an acupuncturist. Acupuncture has done wonders for my knee (I had runner's knee). But, like everything else, you have to find a good acupuncturist. A bad one will yield poor results.

HelloMeteor is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    That sucks. But finding a professional that can help you isn't an easy task. If you are anywhere near the Twin Cities (MN), I would recommend Adam T Glass (he also does some phone consulting and has a website with some excellent articles, though you will have to dig to get to them).

But, there are a lot of unanswered questions that a professional would need before even attempting to help you:

1) Your stats (age, gender, height, weight, etc).
    2) What ranges of motions cause you pain? Does changing the weight (such as decreasing it by lifting the leg off the ground) change the pain you feel?
    3) Is the pain consistent on a day to day basis? Or does it change over time?
    4) Since childhood, what major injuries have you had?
    5) What is your movement history (such as daily physical activity as well as any sports or other impact related activities) since childhood?
    6) What have you tried to help this problem? Did any of the treatments make it better or worse?
    I've done phone consults, but I can't get by on that. I need intensive support.

Motions don't really cause me much pain. It's the constant sense of muscles not working right. It feels like my legs are out of alignment constantly, regardless of whether or not I'm moving. It's not a movement problem.

M
    6'0"
    195lbs
    Ranges of motion don't cause pain unless they are weighted.
    Pain is not the problem, though I do have some pain.
    Only injuries are 1 major concussion in which I was completely knocked out, a couple sprained ankles, partial left quad tear which was repaired.

I've seen probably a dozen PT's and almost as many doctors.

The only thing that ever helped a bit was McConnell taping, but that is just a band-aid and I could never replicate the effect that the doctor who applied it achieved.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I used to go to a sports oriented chiro that also did massage and PT for my back. They got it fixed and understood what I wanted to be able to do. They did a lot of people with knee/shoulder issues. They really understood mechanics. It was not at all a quick fix. Took 6 months to fix very intense, long time back pain, which has not been back.

Charlotte Chiropractor - Greenapple Sports and Wellness - Sports, Acupuncture, and Laser

I know they probably are not where you are, but maybe you can find a clinic with a similar mix? Not all chiros work on limbs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!