Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar cravings at night - when do they stop?? page

Cyrone Guest

Sugar cravings at night - when do they stop??

Shop Now
    Hey yall.. fairly healthy athlete who went primal 2 weeks ago here..

I've noticed something disturbing lately, that when I get home from being out (like past 1am) I have intense sugar cravings and confession: this has included reese's pieces, brownies, ice cream, and biting into cold cookie dough (totaling 30+g sugar/night). Obviously these are leftovers from 1+ month ago that I still have lying around, and even though I know it disturbs sleep and is terrible for insulin, I can't suppress the urge.

a) Is there any "sweet" substance one would eat to compensate (perhaps diet sprite) and b), does this urge dissipate over time? It seems to only happen on weekends when I go out. I'm wondering if anyone else has faced this issue as it's not addressed in his book.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    A) I like fruit, which seems sweet to me. It is real food unlike diet sprite.

B) Yes.

C) it is 1 am. Go to bed. You can't eat sugar when you are sleeping.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Is there any reason you can't throw this stuff away and have a piece of cooked chicken breast handy when you start to have cravings?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Eat fruit or dark chocolate instead.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

anova01 is offline Member
    If it is psychological instead of physiological hunger, have a glass of water or herbal tea and hop to bed before your body can demand sugar again. Sugar cravings do go away, if you stop succumbing to them.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

12 week health challenge (95%, more moving)
    Start -- March 1st -- 173.4
    End -- May 24th -- 158.6

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Here's thirty success tips for the first 30 days and it talks about dealing with cravings and such. I've gotten a lot of great feedback on it.

Zach is offline Banned
    Oooor just eat some sugar and stop beating yourself up over it. Fruit, chocolate, ice cream, gummy bears, jello, all can be healthy in the right context. You will most likely sleep better after eating some sugar as well.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Mmmmmm ginger snaps with cold whole milk!!!! Seriously, eat something you like or crave just don't turn it into a blowout.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Is there any reason you can't throw this stuff away and have a piece of cooked chicken breast handy when you start to have cravings?
    "I'm craving chocolate, but I think a piece of chicken breast will cure my craving" said nobody ever.

To OP, it depends on the person. Some do really well on Primal and it cures their need for sugar, while others just learn to keep it under control. You can give in once in awhile and it won't kill you. I really do think the best advice is just to go to bed. More sleep + no bingeing = win all around.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    ...this has included reese's pieces, brownies, ice cream, and biting into cold cookie dough (totaling 30+g sugar/night). Obviously these are leftovers from 1+ month ago that I still have lying around, and even though I know it disturbs sleep and is terrible for insulin, I can't suppress the urge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    "I'm craving chocolate, but I think a piece of chicken breast will cure my craving" said nobody ever.
    That hardly seems like justification for continuing to keep a stash of utter crap that doesn't even have enough chocolate in it to satisfy real chocolate cravings. I have indeed found that a serving of chicken breast will kill a craving for almost anything.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast