Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sugar cravings at night - when do they stop?? page 5

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmedic413 View Post
    So Derpamix, if my body craves beer and cigarettes, does that mean I should feed into those cravings? What if it craves heroin and cocaine. Should I listen to my cravings? Saying that you should listen to your body is about the dumbest thing you can do. Will a piece of cake kill anybody? No. But feeding into those cravings little by little will create more cravings, and do all kinds of things that WILL kill you. Ever hear of insulin resistance? Hypertension? Fatty liver? High trigs?
    It means you are addicted to drug, that is not the same thing. We are born with with a taste for sugar, breast milk is almost half.

Also i feel bad for you if you think listening to your body is about the dumbest thing you can do. Just about the most primal thing you can do is become more aware of your body, trying to seperate body and mind and fight yourself is an exercise in futility.

Cyrone Guest
    This topic is borderline an inspiration. Hopefully these replies have helped more people out there who are wondering the same thing.

Anyway, I went cold turkey a few times. And every time, I developed migraines after 2-3 days which lasted a couple of days.
    I initially got migranes/haziness just from cutting out 80% of my carbs! So I guess this means it would work. If you went through the pain, so can I. I don't think I'll ever quit for months on end (I plan to consistently have ice cream, brownies 1x/week) though I have pretty much eliminated wheat. We'll see how it goes.

Question: when you go out till 1am, are you out drinking booze? Drinking booze will give you sugar cravings like crazy.
    Hmm I actually stopped drinking socially (unless it's craft brewery) several months ago. But I do feel that there's something lacking when I come back from being out, perhaps it's the screwed up dinner schedule..
    And I actually am going through Lindt's dark chocolates now! On 85% ATM but have the 90% waiting in my closet...

To the topic at hand. Just go to bed. Are the two minutes of pleasure you get from eating that junk worth the guilt you feel after?
    Well, in the morning I absolutely do regret it! But again often feel that I cannot sleep without the "happy chemicals" released by the desserts - I guess I could try, but man it feels like shit. Suppose the point of the topic is how long it typically takes to relieve the body of the cravings, so far looks like the average is 2-3 months. yikes

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    So Derpamix, if my body craves beer and cigarettes, does that mean I should feed into those cravings? What if it craves heroin and cocaine. Should I listen to my cravings? Saying that you should listen to your body is about the dumbest thing you can do. Will a piece of cake kill anybody? No. But feeding into those cravings little by little will create more cravings, and do all kinds of things that WILL kill you. Ever hear of insulin resistance? Hypertension? Fatty liver? High trigs?
    So your advice would be to do all the die hard stuff the "Paleo Gods" write in their books and on their blogs and ignore everything your body is telling YOU? Believe me, I'm finally coming out of that cave and I feel a lot better for doing so. Sure most advice is for good-will but this is not a religion, you do not have to follow every single recommendation based on somebody else's experience.

Listening to your body is the most powerful thing you can do as a human. Saying things like "If I crave heroin" is dumb because you have had to intoxicate yourself with that first in order to get the cravings. Carb haters: There are other sources of carbs than pure refined sugar. It is not a drug. It is not heroin.We were given an abundance of nutrient dense fruit for a reason.

Of course giving into cravings is a different story if it has something to do with F****** bacon.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    There is value in cravings, because if you look behind them, they inform you that something is missing or not quite right. It's up to you to interpret the meaning behind a wild lust for cake, or various other junk food, and better substitute that with some other substance. As I already said. Though, if you lack the mind for it, as you clearly do, you'll just continue looking at cravings through a pin hole and miss the big picture.

"The fact that a taste of chocolate can provoke a wild lust for more chocolate, or that once cigarette renews the addiction, does not mean that the presence of chocolate or nicotine in the blood creates a craving. Rather, it is that an organism in an unstable state perceives the availability of something which promises to partially restore the desired stability."

[citation needed] for the rest of that nonsense, as you clearly don't know what you're talking about regarding insulin and probably get all your information from low carb primal blogs.

Ignore him. Derpamix is our resident troll who's young, super tall, super skinny and thinks its ok to eat 300 grams of carbs a day and that the rest of us are crazy for not being able to do the same and stay at a cocaine addict's weight.
    Majority of lean people consume most of their calories from carbs, clearly don't know what you're implying besides desperately trying way too hard to look cool by rehashing a long passed "popular" opinion.

No one thinks I'm the resident troll anymore, you're behind the times. I've helped countless people on these forums already from the disastrous effects of low carb paleo.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 05-22-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    nihil

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    It means you are addicted to drug, that is not the same thing. We are born with with a taste for sugar, breast milk is almost half.

Also i feel bad for you if you think listening to your body is about the dumbest thing you can do. Just about the most primal thing you can do is become more aware of your body, trying to seperate body and mind and fight yourself is an exercise in futility.
    You think a carbohydrate isn't a drug to some degree? Tell me, what are the essential carbohydrates that the body can not make and requires regularly, otherwise we die? Of course we are born with some taste for sugar. The body craves things that are sweet, salty, fatty, because those are where the nutrients that we need are located. However, most (and I stress most but not all) people come from an upbringing where our sensitivity to sweet things are blunted due to being raised on grains, sugar, and more grains and sugar. Think about how much sugar was consumed in the days of Grok. What was it, a few pounds per year? Most people are coming to a healthier lifestyle from 100+ pounds of sugar consumed per year. So again, listening to your cravings are different when they've been severely blunted. I crave a glass of wine occassionally, but that means I could have one glass and not drink another for 3 months. But to an alcoholic, they might have one glass and can only go 10 minutes before they need another one. Are carbohydrates any different? No. Look at somebody coming from the SAD/Western diet. They eat a carb rich breakfast, and 2 hours later they need more carbs. Should they listen to their body and fill up on more carbs? Probably not a good idea. In the meantime, look at somebody who follows a more Primal/Paleo lifestyle. They can eat a small amount, and not crave it again for a long time. Therefore, the only way you can truly listen to and satiate your body's desires is if you're coming from a purely pure standpoint that hasn't been corrupted by the standard garbage that a majority of people have swallowed all of their lives.

I'm not saying that we should never listen to our bodies. But to come from the perspective that listening to your body is an ideal path to health is the exact reason why metabolic syndrome and all of the individual parts of it are getting far worse, not better, in society today.

I'm not saying that we should never listen to our bodies. But to come from the perspective that listening to your body is an ideal path to health is the exact reason why metabolic syndrome and all of the individual parts of it are getting far worse, not better, in society today.
    Don't forget that most choices people make today are those governed by the ads they watch and the CW they are led to believe. I somewhat doubt that a typical american will "give in to cravings" in the same way someone whom understands and perceives the ancestral way of eating. Whatever that is. Of course this is different when it's food and a "treat" but the scope of those differ from person to person.

Listening to your body, and not your mind are two completely separate things and that is what can inform the better choice.

Personally, after eating carbs for around 3 weeks exceeding 200g, I feel far more energised than I ever did doing low carb and a high meat. I eat 2 main meals a day and they sustain me for a good 3-4 hours minimum. Carbs from fruit not processed products, might i add.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-23-2013 at 07:02 AM.

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    So your advice would be to do all the die hard stuff the "Paleo Gods" write in their books and on their blogs and ignore everything your body is telling YOU? Believe me, I'm finally coming out of that cave and I feel a lot better for doing so. Sure most advice is for good-will but this is not a religion, you do not have to follow every single recommendation based on somebody else's experience.

Listening to your body is the most powerful thing you can do as a human. Saying things like "If I crave heroin" is dumb because you have had to intoxicate yourself with that first in order to get the cravings. Carb haters: There are other sources of carbs than pure refined sugar. It is not a drug. It is not heroin.We were given an abundance of nutrient dense fruit for a reason.

Of course giving into cravings is a different story if it has something to do with F****** bacon.
    I will admit that craving heroin is a bit of an extreme example, because you are correct, the body first needs to be intoxicated with heroin to initiate that craving. But is it not different for carbohydrates? Do we not create cravings for carbohydates via overconsumption? Or are we all just born with a sweet tooth? Yes, we look for nutrients that are located in carbohydate containing foods, but that doesn't mean we're seeking carbohydrates. We're seeking the nutrients. No I'm not a carb hater. I love eating fruit.

And I know this isn't a religion and we should all just do what the authors and big names say we should. However, to say that we should listen to our bodies when, for most people, the body is already corrupted, defeats the purpose of a lifestyle change in the first place. If we embarked on a mission of health under the flags of both a Primal lifestyle and listening to our cravings, that is counterproductive to some degree. Is it not ridiculous when somebody says they quit smoking, yet they smoke when certain triggers are activated? Thats like saying that you live a healthy lifestyle, except for when I'm not living a healthy lifestyle.

Listening to your body CAN BE A GOOD THING. But only if your body knows what it should be asking for. And for most people who are metabolically deranged and know nothing besides what the mainstream has told them, listening to their bodies is a plan for failure.

Listening to your body CAN BE A GOOD THING. But only if your body knows what it should be asking for. And for most people who are metabolically deranged and know nothing besides what the mainstream has told them, listening to their bodies is a plan for failure.
    See my above response. I think that the majority of the "bad" choices people make when it comes to carbs is that they don't understand or care to educate themselves on what "healthy carbs" are. Obese people are constantly starving because the carbs they eat are void of nutrients. Give them a load of fruit and those cravings will reduce, in my opinion. Quality, not always quantity is best.

Cyrone Guest
    Just wanted to update - while the chicken breast technique did not work (a part of my brain still felt like it was missing something), eating a half-bowl of berries (blueberry/rasberry/strawberry combo) has definitely toned it down. I'm aware that these contain enough sugars on its own, but at least they're mixed with fibers to soften the effect.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem like the brain cares whether the sugars are attached to fibers or not, still satisfies.

teawithsteph is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Evening sugar cravings are the worst for me. It is better the more strict and lower carb paleo I eat. I sometimes feel like I am starting over after I have a higher carb day. Fruit especially kinds I love and whatever is in season usually kills the cravings.

If it is late and I it keeps me from sleeping I have had success with a small bowl of unsweetened applesauce warmed up with lots of cinnamon in it. That combo has the largest effect of killing the cravings for me.

Thanks for all the good information others have posted. It is making me take a closer look at what is happening around the cravings and what else I can try to eliminate them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345