Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sugar cravings at night - when do they stop?? page 4

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Not everyone has the same reaction to artificial sweeteners, don't lump us in a bunch. I hate the taste of soda, but in a social occasion I will reach for a diet. On top of that, I flavor my coffee with equal and use the same when making a mixed alcoholic drink. It tastes fine, I feel fine, I'm 5'4 and 100 soaking wet, so don't lump all your fake sugar users into one.

If one day I get cancer and die, you have my full permission to laugh. Until then, reserve your judgments
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    @Cyrone

I used to binge on sugar (in things like cookies, milk chocolate, sometimes candies but that was not my usual fix). I could go crazy on the cake / cookies / chocolate like I would not stop until there was nothing left at home. I would have sugary stuff many times in the day (from breakfast with sweet jams, pastries to after dinner with cakes / chocolate via snacks here and there in-between). Every single day. And sometimes at night when I was working late. My wife was really pissed because I really emptied the cookie drawers, etc. Our food budget was heavily burdened by sugary stuff.

Anyway, I went cold turkey a few times. And every time, I developed migraines after 2-3 days which lasted a couple of days. I could then be sugar free for maybe a few months at a time but would eventually fall back. The thing that made me stop altogether for good (8 months now and no cravings whatsoever) is the elimination of all grains, in particular wheat (was addicted to the shit). I since discovered that I could satisfy my sweet tooth (which is rare these days) with a bit of xylitol here and there. Some ppl find they cannot tolerate xylitol due to digestion issue. I have no problem with it (actually, none in my family ever had problems with xylitol). We don't eat very much of it and it provides all the sweetness sugar provides without the health issues sugar is known for. Xylitol is not addictive and low glycemic, plus it is good for your teeth. So if you do have cravings, try xylitol instead and you will gradually break away from sweet food cravings. The other thing is: xylitol is rather expensive which forces you to be moderate in your consumption

Of course, you have to experiment and only you can tell whether this is working. It has worked big time for me.

Shotglass is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Not everyone has the same reaction to artificial sweeteners, don't lump us in a bunch. I hate the taste of soda, but in a social occasion I will reach for a diet. On top of that, I flavor my coffee with equal and use the same when making a mixed alcoholic drink. It tastes fine, I feel fine, I'm 5'4 and 100 soaking wet, so don't lump all your fake sugar users into one.

If one day I get cancer and die, you have my full permission to laugh. Until then, reserve your judgments
    Maybe I should have added "IMO" but for those who don't understand contractions: "I'd" means "I would"; not that I was lumping anyone into any group - only that I was stating what I would do.

MattyH is offline Junior Member
    I'm going to give a completely different answer: I get sugar cravings when I'm tired - you've been out late, go to sleep! If you really can't sleep because your mind is whirling around "sugar sugar sugar", have some hot milk or water or herb tea w a drizzle of honey, or one square of dark chocolate or even (shhhh) a couple reeces pieces. But then brush teeth and hit the rack.

Good luck this weekend!

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    I may also try a half-can of Diet Sprite. No caffiene, no sugar, no carbs, and should replicate the feeling just fine.
    I just haven't had soda in so long tho
    Question: when you go out till 1am, are you out drinking booze? Drinking booze will give you sugar cravings like crazy.

Don't drink diet Sprite. You don't want those sweetners, they're horrible for you in the long run. The way I deal with a carb craving is I have a piece of dark chocolate. And when I say that, I'm not talking a piece of Hershey's Dark which has tons of sugar in it. Go out and get a bar of Lindt 90%. If you have a craving, eat a square, maybe two, but NOT the entire bar. This works for me, and the dark chocolate has good health benefits. Plus, something like that has sugar, but a square is like 1 gram.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The cravings stop when you stop being neurotic. Seriously, do you just listen to any old health "guru" on the internet? "CAFFEINE IS BAD" "SUGAR IS BAD" "CARBS ARE BAD"

There is a reason your body craves something, it's possibly because sugar is needed in your cells. Seriously, craving a piece of cake, just eat something else with sugar and keep making a habit of that if you really feel so orthorexic that you think an odd piece of cake is going to kill you.

Despite what mainstream consensus tries to lie about, white sugar isn't a killer. If you look close enough, you'll see that white sugar intake has significantly dropped over the years. You know what has gone up? Fat intake(PUFA). Deductive reasoning.

This is why I hate this diet. It takes irrational people and makes them even more irrational.
    So Derpamix, if my body craves beer and cigarettes, does that mean I should feed into those cravings? What if it craves heroin and cocaine. Should I listen to my cravings? Saying that you should listen to your body is about the dumbest thing you can do. Will a piece of cake kill anybody? No. But feeding into those cravings little by little will create more cravings, and do all kinds of things that WILL kill you. Ever hear of insulin resistance? Hypertension? Fatty liver? High trigs?

Get rid of the Naked Juice and the Clif Bar. Whatever nutrients you're getting from them, you can get them elsewhere without all of the added sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    Thanks Joanie, that was very uplifting. Indeed I still live with my parents for another 6 weeks (before going to grad school) so it's hard to "throw things out" at the moment

Hm, so you're saying if we have a bit of sugar/grains sporadically throughout the day, we'd crave it naturally later on?

Breakfast: Omlette w/ veggies OR raw veggies + nut butter or hummus (0 sugar)
    Snack 1: Naked Juice w/ Spirulina (~20g sugar)
    Pre-workout: Clif Bar (30g sugar)
    Lunch: Tuna or chicken w/ mixed veggies + egg + tomato sauce (~3g sugar)
    Snack 2: Almonds/walnuts/cashews/raisins combo (~5g sugar)
    Dinner: Meat + various (eggplant, veggies, broth, spices) (~3g sugar)
    Problem: throughout day, run into Starbucks (get free giftcards so), various events, gum, chocolate, "famous Chicago food"

So yes, I run into bits and pieces of sugar throughout the average day. It's the "main meals" I've kept sugar free. Also, I do occasionally drink diet soda (1x/week). I envy you for keeping it below 50g/day!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmedic413 View Post
    So Derpamix, if my body craves beer and cigarettes, does that mean I should feed into those cravings? What if it craves heroin and cocaine. Should I listen to my cravings? Saying that you should listen to your body is about the dumbest thing you can do. Will a piece of cake kill anybody? No. But feeding into those cravings little by little will create more cravings, and do all kinds of things that WILL kill you. Ever hear of insulin resistance? Hypertension? Fatty liver? High trigs?
    Ignore him. Derpamix is our resident troll who's young, super tall, super skinny and thinks its ok to eat 300 grams of carbs a day and that the rest of us are crazy for not being able to do the same and stay at a cocaine addict's weight.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Ignore him. Derpamix is our resident troll who's young, super tall, super skinny and thinks its ok to eat 300 grams of carbs a day and that the rest of us are crazy for not being able to do the same and stay at a cocaine addict's weight.
    I kinda picked up that he's a troll. But I love to engage trolls and slay their nonsense. The problem is, most are too scared to engage in a battle of intelligence, typically because they're unarmed.

fes31129 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i have a question. how empty must ones life be that they need to fill it by spending time on a message board devoted to something they don't like? I never understood the point of "trolling". It doesnt make me angry, just makes me feel a bit of pity for them. Someone must not like themselves too much if they need to go onto a message board and hype themselves up. You eat sugar......yay!!!!!!!!!! you win the internet. Now you can go around feeling like a rock star today with your new internet championship and all.

To the topic at hand. Just go to bed. Are the two minutes of pleasure you get from eating that junk worth the guilt you feel after?
    Better yet, throw the food out. If you are hellbent on eating some sugar, fine, just go out somewhere, have some desert and dont take it home with you. Problem solved.
    Some people can eat sugary treats in moderation once in awhile and not have it greatly affect their diet. For others, its a slippery slope. You seem like the latter. Throw out the junk food, lose the cliff bar and fruit drinks and go to bed. You cant be hungry or craving food if you aren't awake.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast