Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sugar cravings at night - when do they stop?? page 3

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've become a connoisseur of dark chocolate 70+ %. Always keep some on hand for sweet craving emergencies. It's fun trying all the brands. Sweet and reasonably healthy at the same time.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    The cravings stop when you stop being neurotic. Seriously, do you just listen to any old health "guru" on the internet? "CAFFEINE IS BAD" "SUGAR IS BAD" "CARBS ARE BAD"

There is a reason your body craves something, it's possibly because sugar is needed in your cells. Seriously, craving a piece of cake, just eat something else with sugar and keep making a habit of that if you really feel so orthorexic that you think an odd piece of cake is going to kill you.

Despite what mainstream consensus tries to lie about, white sugar isn't a killer. If you look close enough, you'll see that white sugar intake has significantly dropped over the years. You know what has gone up? Fat intake(PUFA). Deductive reasoning.

This is why I hate this diet. It takes irrational people and makes them even more irrational.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

mjg
    mjg is offline Junior Member
    Dark chocolate dipped in almond butter works for me. But I usually just grab a handful of berries.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    Hey yall.. fairly healthy athlete who went primal 2 weeks ago here..

I've noticed something disturbing lately, that when I get home from being out (like past 1am) I have intense sugar cravings and confession: this has included reese's pieces, brownies, ice cream, and biting into cold cookie dough (totaling 30+g sugar/night). Obviously these are leftovers from 1+ month ago that I still have lying around, and even though I know it disturbs sleep and is terrible for insulin, I can't suppress the urge.

a) Is there any "sweet" substance one would eat to compensate (perhaps diet sprite) and b), does this urge dissipate over time? It seems to only happen on weekends when I go out. I'm wondering if anyone else has faced this issue as it's not addressed in his book.
    It could be that whatever you're partying with whether herbal or distilled is triggering the cravings. Since you already had this stuff in your home, it could also be more of a habit than a craving.

Mark discusses getting your kitchen primal. IOW toss out the candy, the flour, the bread, etc. If it's not readily available, at the worst, you'll eat something primal instead.

Depending on the who you believe, it takes 21-42 days to really begin to break a habit. Maybe if you put a treat in the fridge, like a nice beefy stir-fry, or the aforementioned chicken breast, before you go out, you'll start training yourself to eat those kinds of things when you get in after a night out. Tell yourself you're just going to ditch the sugary treats this weekend. Then do the same thing the next weekend - kind of a riff on just staying sober one day at a time, except this is candy one weekend at a time.

Good luck, and don't beat yourself up. Every week and every month, you are developing a new way to feed yourself. Eventually, you'll look back and be amazed at the little things you thought were so important that you don't even think of anymore.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

mikegee2 is offline Member
    I read this and tried some chocolate with butter. OMG, what a waste of chocolate. Gag me with a spoon! one of the hardest things for me is eating enough to be okay without snacking. I have tried to snack in a healthy manner, but snacking for me is usually an indication of boredom, not hunger. Sometimes, before running to the fridge, I think about it, and it passes.

My wife's remedy for most that bothers her is a spoonful of sugar. I think there's a song about that.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    I feel like there is something in your diet during the day that is keeping you from being fully Primal -- some sugary, starchy trigger. I have found cooking eggs and peppers in coconut oil in the morning sets me up for the day. Perhaps you can post your menu for the day and we can see what that trigger might be. I am eating under 50 grams of carbs a day and am thrilled to experience zero desire for sugar.

Cyrone Guest
    Thanks Joanie, that was very uplifting. Indeed I still live with my parents for another 6 weeks (before going to grad school) so it's hard to "throw things out" at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    I feel like there is something in your diet during the day that is keeping you from being fully Primal -- some sugary, starchy trigger. Perhaps you can post your menu for the day and we can see what that trigger might be. I am eating under 50 grams of carbs a day and am thrilled to experience zero desire for sugar.
    Hm, so you're saying if we have a bit of sugar/grains sporadically throughout the day, we'd crave it naturally later on?

Breakfast: Omlette w/ veggies OR raw veggies + nut butter or hummus (0 sugar)
    Snack 1: Naked Juice w/ Spirulina (~20g sugar)
    Pre-workout: Clif Bar (30g sugar)
    Lunch: Tuna or chicken w/ mixed veggies + egg + tomato sauce (~3g sugar)
    Snack 2: Almonds/walnuts/cashews/raisins combo (~5g sugar)
    Dinner: Meat + various (eggplant, veggies, broth, spices) (~3g sugar)
    Problem: throughout day, run into Starbucks (get free giftcards so), various events, gum, chocolate, "famous Chicago food"

So yes, I run into bits and pieces of sugar throughout the average day. It's the "main meals" I've kept sugar free. Also, I do occasionally drink diet soda (1x/week). I envy you for keeping it below 50g/day!

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Yes, sugar makes you want more sugar - ahem, Cliff Bar.

I'm guessing you're young. I'm 39 and do not know anyone my age who drinks Diet Coke regularly. Actually I know one girl and she has serious health issues. Not only is it lethal, the fake sugar causes you to crave bad carbs. All my friends have had to give it up because of migraines, sleep disturbances, female issues, and worse. There should seriously be a skull and crossbones on the can. Fake sugar in gum - same thing, it will some day catch up to you.

Try this - make your at least 3egg omelet made w/veggies and 4 pieces of bacon. Mid-morning snack eat a 100 calorie pack of plain nuts ---only if you're hungry. Workout - you do not need to eat before but have a good meal after. Try to avoid any kind of sugar in the morning. Have your fruit later.

See how you do with this kind of morning! I'm sorry if I sound preachy but I would rather you didn't learn the hard way.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Funny enough, I can seem to eat sugar and stop there :3 I wonder why that is

(low TSH)
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Shotglass is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    I may also try a half-can of Diet Sprite. No caffiene, no sugar, no carbs, and should replicate the feeling just fine.
    I just haven't had soda in so long tho
    I'd try to avoid diet soda
    Aspartame vs. Sugar?!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast