Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar cravings at night - when do they stop?? page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That hardly seems like justification for continuing to keep a stash of utter crap that doesn't even have enough chocolate in it to satisfy real chocolate cravings. I have indeed found that a serving of chicken breast will kill a craving for almost anything.
    I'm envious. I've found that personally, nothing but sugar kills the craving once my head has chocolate in mind.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

mikegee2 is offline Member
    When I have one of these (often) I go to fridge, get out a red grapefruit, half and section it and eat it. Seems sweet, get to chew through hunger, and I had to get up to do it. NEVER, and I mean NEVER, do I keep anything next to my chair for a snack, even chocolate
    mike

Cyrone Guest
    Sorry guys - I finally used the search function about this topic, and found that there are several other people out there that are suffering from the same dillemma. I guess that just means that I've adapted to eating 50+ grams of sugar every night a lil too much (as I feared)

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That hardly seems like justification for continuing to keep a stash of utter crap that doesn't even have enough chocolate in it to satisfy real chocolate cravings. I have indeed found that a serving of chicken breast will kill a craving for almost anything.
    Ok, I may just try the chicken breast thing. But, I literally don't think i can sleep without the chocolate! You must admit, it does release some sort of dopamine that makes you feel comfortable enough to sleep. Maybe I need another girlfriend.

Cyrone Guest
    I may also try a half-can of Diet Sprite. No caffiene, no sugar, no carbs, and should replicate the feeling just fine.
    I just haven't had soda in so long tho

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    Sorry guys - I finally used the search function about this topic, and found that there are several other people out there that are suffering from the same dillemma. I guess that just means that I've adapted to eating 50+ grams of sugar every night a lil too much (as I feared)

Ok, I may just try the chicken breast thing. But, I literally don't think i can sleep without the chocolate! You must admit, it does release some sort of dopamine that makes you feel comfortable enough to sleep. Maybe I need another girlfriend.
    If you do decide to go with the chocolate, it should be the darkest chocolate you can tolerate. Brownies and cookie dough have very little chocolate in them. They can never satisfy your chocolate cravings.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    DH and I have gotten into the habit of a cup of hot tea with honey when we want something sweet before bed. He's partial to mint with a whole tablespoon of honey. I have a lemongrass/mint and a lemon/ginger I like and I've weaned myself down to a teaspoon of honey. I think I sleep better after the tea. I'm not sure if it's the hot or the sweet that does it.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Lauri is offline Junior Member
    I found that when I eat too many so-called safe starches (sweet potato, but carrots and bell peppers, too), I crave sugar. 70+% dark chocolate with a schmear of butter does it for me. If you are getting sufficient fat and protein prior to bedtime, you should be able to sleep through the night and not wake up wanting sweets.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    OP - don't drink diet soda!! read up about artificial sweetners = BAD.
    get the crap out of your house, eat something real, even sweet, rather than crap.

Cyrone Guest
    To those that say dark chocolate - doesn't the darker the chocolate, the more caffiene it has...? That's the only reason I avoid it. My habit was typically ice cream (for about 3 months during winter when I wouldn't go out, now I have tiny lovehandles)

Quote Originally Posted by HopelessDreamer View Post
    OP - don't drink diet soda!! read up about artificial sweetners = BAD.
    Scientific proof?

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    To those that say dark chocolate - doesn't the darker the chocolate, the more caffiene it has...? That's the only reason I avoid it. My habit was typically ice cream (for about 3 months during winter when I wouldn't go out, now I have tiny lovehandles.
    Not everyone is on a quest to lead a stimulant-free life. The alkaloids in chocolate are stimulants. They are not "caffeine".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast