Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Needs Help! Not getting enough fat :-/ page

LivingHealthyLove is offline Junior Member

Question Newbie Needs Help! Not getting enough fat :-/

Shop Now
    Hello Everyone, I'm a newbie here!

Background: I was diagnosed with PCOS and was told by my naturopathic doctor to get on the paleo diet. She recommended that I read the Primal Blueprint and I found out about this forum through a few youtube videos. I'm slowly getting through the book and feel as though I need a crash course. In the first week of paleo eating, I lost 4 lbs and seemed to have reduced the intensity of symptoms I was experiencing such as fatigue, low energy, brain fog, depression etc. But I gained the weight back just as fast as I lost it the following week. Because of that, I've given in to some old habits (I have a big sweet tooth). Like eating rainbow cookies, cannolis, tres leches cakes, none of which are paleo. I'm 5'7 and approx. 214lbs. This is the heaviest I've ever been and much of the weight gain is due to stress and going from school to a sedentary work life.. sitting at a computer for 10-16 hours at a time.. and maybe more when big meetings are approaching.

Problem: Right now my diet consists of mostly protein and low carb (when I'm not scarfing down cakes), and moderate to low fat (not on purpose - I eat full fat anything). Right now, on myfitnesspal, I've set my daily macronutrients to 20/30/50. But I'm not even coming close to meeting my fat intake. How do you all meet that requirement?! The only thing I can think of is eating avocados all day long and dark chocolate. Please help. I was excited when I started losing weight the first week, but it all just stopped. It is very confusing and discouraging. But I want to try again. I have a big trip coming up (September) and want to look good. That's my goal. This of course is a lifestyle change esp. to manage my PCOS.. but if I can set some kind of goal. I may be better off.

If you have any additional advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    LivingHealthyLove

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Eat fattier meat and dairy products. Cook with butter and coconut oil. Eat eggs.

Kellybelly is offline Junior Member
    Hi there, I'm also a newbie on this forum. I just wanted to reply with a lil support. I too have PCOS, and have struggled with my weight from a very young age. Having PCOS makes dieting that much harder! You see everyone else around you losing weight and it almost seems effortless for them, while we struggle through ups and downs no matter what type of diet or eating plan we try. It is hard not to get discouraged, I have so walked a mile or 3 in those shoes! And like you when I get discouraged I eat the wrong foods. What finally worked for me is making up my mind to be healthy! Sure I'd love to lose weight, but with the hormonal issues that come with PCOS, weight loss could no longer be my goal. I started one day at a time with lots of different goals along the way. I knew that low carb paleo worked well for me, so my first goal was to cut out all sugar, once I was able to get through that I made other goals to cut out the other junk in my diet. Now I am completely on plan with my low carb paleo plan. I'm feeling better, my diabetes is in check, and I have been able to lose some wait finally! My suggestion for you would be to cut the sugar and processed foods from your diet before you worry about macros. Don't stress everything all at once, it is so easy to get overwhelmed with everything, baby steps. Celebrate your victories along the way and keep making new goals. You will find your groove with your new lifestyle and things do become easier! As for getting fat into my diet, I cook things in butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and that seems to help sneak it in. Avocados are definitely good, eating eggs with an extra yolk to cut down on protein a bit, I also once in awhile use a little heavy whipping cream. Sorry for being a little long winded, but just wanted to say hi and I've totally been there! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Eat fattier meat and dairy products. Cook with butter and coconut oil. Eat eggs.
    Thanks. I'll do that.
    Last edited by LivingHealthyLove; 05-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellybelly View Post
    Hi there, I'm also a newbie on this forum. I just wanted to reply with a lil support. I too have PCOS, and have struggled with my weight from a very young age. Having PCOS makes dieting that much harder! You see everyone else around you losing weight and it almost seems effortless for them, while we struggle through ups and downs no matter what type of diet or eating plan we try. It is hard not to get discouraged, I have so walked a mile or 3 in those shoes! And like you when I get discouraged I eat the wrong foods. What finally worked for me is making up my mind to be healthy! Sure I'd love to lose weight, but with the hormonal issues that come with PCOS, weight loss could no longer be my goal. I started one day at a time with lots of different goals along the way. I knew that low carb paleo worked well for me, so my first goal was to cut out all sugar, once I was able to get through that I made other goals to cut out the other junk in my diet. Now I am completely on plan with my low carb paleo plan. I'm feeling better, my diabetes is in check, and I have been able to lose some wait finally! My suggestion for you would be to cut the sugar and processed foods from your diet before you worry about macros. Don't stress everything all at once, it is so easy to get overwhelmed with everything, baby steps. Celebrate your victories along the way and keep making new goals. You will find your groove with your new lifestyle and things do become easier! As for getting fat into my diet, I cook things in butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and that seems to help sneak it in. Avocados are definitely good, eating eggs with an extra yolk to cut down on protein a bit, I also once in awhile use a little heavy whipping cream. Sorry for being a little long winded, but just wanted to say hi and I've totally been there! Lol
    Thanks for your reply! I'll take your advice and start with cutting out sugar and processed foods. It's just soo hard! And agreed, losing weight is extremely difficult. I've always have trouble keeping the weight off and never understood why. Now, I can finally put a name to what I've been feeling. How did you cut cravings for sugar? I work long hours and do not drink coffee or tea because I just can't take in caffeine without problems. So, sugar is my temporary fix to get through the day and comfort when I can't take the stress.

anova01 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingHealthyLove View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I'll take your advice and start with cutting out sugar and processed foods. It's just soo hard! And agreed, losing weight is extremely difficult. I've always have trouble keeping the weight off and never understood why. Now, I can finally put a name to what I've been feeling. How did you cut cravings for sugar? I work long hours and do not drink coffee or tea because I just can't take in caffeine without problems. So, sugar is my temporary fix to get through the day and comfort when I can't take the stress.
    I was/am in the exact same boat (well, my PCOS is mild - I have the hormone imbalance but not any cysts). The only way I've found to cut out sugar cravings is to just go cold turkey. For a few weeks, I had 0 sugar and took my fruit intake to minimal. Before starting the process it seemed like I wouldn't be able to do it and that I would come back to the sugar-reward cycle. However, a few months down the road I can tell you that I don't have sugar cravings anymore. To help get you through the day, I'd encourage you to pack primal snacks that have a variety of textures (read: veggies with crunch) because it would be more satisfying overall. Drink plenty of water. To distract myself from sugar cravings I'd go for long walks with my dog, take a bath with essential oils, or drink herbal flavorful tea. Good luck on your journey!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

12 week health challenge (95%, more moving)
    Start -- March 1st -- 173.4
    End -- May 24th -- 158.6

Mike36 is offline Junior Member
    Bacon for breakfast with eggs scrambled in the bacon drippings, kale, avocado, olives, feta cheese salad with only olive oil,(generous amount) with chicken or boiled eggs for lunch, beef,pork, or salmon with skin and veggies stir fried in coconut oil for dinner will help get you there. Macadamia nuts are great snacks too and you can add almond butter and at night full fat Greek yogurt with blueberries or strawberries. Good luck

Kellybelly is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingHealthyLove View Post

Cutting out sugar was a big step for me, and also probably the hardest. I ended up just going cold turkey, and once I got through the first week things felt better. I wasn't having the wild swings in my blood sugar anymore, and that definitely helped me stay more focused on staying away from it. As for cravings, well I still have my moments but, I just have to keep myself busy and forget about it, and it definitely does get easier. One of the things that does help if i am really craving something sweet, is a diet soda. I know those aren't very healthy, but it is better than the alternative at the moment. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles. Also I will reward myself after a hard workout or on a higher calorie day and have coconut oil chocolate. It's just 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, 1Tbsp heavy cream, 1 Tbsp torani French vanilla sugar free syrup. It is very rich and tastes like dark chocolate. I had to wait a few weeks before I could have these things because I was afraid it would trigger cravings. Hope these help a bit!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you are hitting your macros for protein and carbs and hitting your needs for vitamins/minerals/etc, AND not feeling hungry, don't worry about the fat.

If you find yourself snacking, or craving sweets, you'll probably need to up the fat for a while. Greens cooked in bacon grease are awesome. Butter on all your veggies, etc.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    I am another with PCOS. I have been primal for almost three years now, but it was only in January of this year that I made the commitment to be sugar free. ( honey, maple syrup, etc) It was more of an acceptance thing for me. I had always felt it just wasn't fair that I was so sensitive to sugar. Once I accepted that the genes I have, the way I was put together just makes me sugar sensitive aka addicted to sugar. It has been tough at times of course and then other times I'm amazed how easy it feels. It is definitely tied to emotional comfort issues too. I use L-glutamine powder to help with the cravings. It's also supposed to help with the gut lining which I need help with too so it's great for me.

It has been a slow journey of weightloss and I am in a long plateau right now, but I am focused on health and healing. Good luck to you!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast