Thread: Starting weights for kettlebells? page

Sandman is offline Member

Starting weights for kettlebells?

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

My wife and I would like to add kettlebell workouts to our routine. I'd say we're definitely at the beginner stage, as we haven't done much (if anything) along the lines of working with weights. Occasional pushups/pullups/squats/planks have been our only approach to heavy things, so far.

Any recommendations for starting weights for reasonably fit (but not weight-lifting) people of our size? Me: 5'10" 170lb. Wife: 5'4" 127lb.

Appreciate tips on kettlebell size, as well as any favorite beginner kettlebell youtube videos/articles out there.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Sandman,

Yay for kettlebells! Easily my favorite form of exercise. At my box, the standard weights are 53# for men, 35# for women. Scaling down for reasonably fit beginners, men can usually start at 44#, women at 26#, at least for just straight swings. Couple of tips:

- Take the time to learn the proper form of a swing. It isn't difficult, but it does take some practice to get right.
    - Learn the Russian-style swing, where the bell comes to around eye-level, versus the American style, which brings the bell fully overhead. The Russian style will give you all the benefits, with the added bonus of not destroying your shoulders.
    - Just swing in the beginning. Get good at it. Believe me, just swinging a bell looks pretty easy, until you start.
    - Don't use your arms to muscle the bell up. Your arms are there solely to hold onto the bell. All the swing comes from the power generated by thrusting your hips forward. If you find yourself muscling the bell up, try swinging with a T-rex grip (elbows bent, wrists bent down) until you get the hang of it. Note: I don't know if T-rex grip is really a term, it is just what it looks like to me.

Sandman is offline Member
    Thanks, Badkty! Can't wait to get started.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

plato yogi wogi is offline Junior Member
    whatever you start with, the most important thing is to move up,

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    A while back, I was looking at kettlebells and wondering if I should buy some to get back in shape. I wasn't sure which sizes to buy for myself and my boyfriend. Before I took action I hurt my elbow lifting an obese cat of his. Eventually we bought some more dumbbells and free weight equipment.

Passing through the sporting goods department at Walmart not long ago, I saw a couple of small kettlebells. The 10#, which I might have bought, weighs less than my handbag.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    - Take the time to learn the proper form of a swing. It isn't difficult, but it does take some practice to get right.
    - Learn the Russian-style swing, where the bell comes to around eye-level, versus the American style, which brings the bell fully overhead. The Russian style will give you all the benefits, with the added bonus of not destroying your shoulders.
    Good advice. I'm pretty sure that it was the kettlebell swing that screwed up my shoulder a few weeks back. Be really careful when starting.