Thread: My first batch of bone broth! page

elfman5150 is offline Member

My first batch of bone broth!

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone, I have a quick question which I believe has no real answer, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I just made my first batch of bone broth in my crockpot with some grassfed beef bones/marrow/etc that I picked up from a local farmer. It's been in the pot for about 20 hours, and upon waking up this morning I gave it a taste and it was phenomenal! Perhaps the most delicious morning treat I've ever had (aside from a really, really good omelette).
    Anyway, most recipes say to strain the broth and put it in the fridge or freezer. I was wondering though, should I really strain it? I mean, it tasted so good without doing so, and I feel like there are probably lots of benefits in keeping the fat with it. Having said that, if I did strain it I certainly wouldn't discard the fat, but would use it as a cooking fat or something. I already have enough cooking fat though, so what do you recommend? I'm thinking I should just pour the whole of the broth into a container, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.
    Thanks!
    Chris

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Straining it wouldn't get rid of the fat if it's still hot. Straining it will make it easier to separate the bones from the liquid.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    I have never strained mine. I think the straining is to remove hard chunks of grissle and small bits of bone that may have broken off. I sometimes find the bone will break down into tiny shards. I just leave these at the bottom of the crockpot as I pour it out.
    Straining will not remove the fat if it is done while the broth is still hot. If you let the broth cool in the fridge - the saturated fat will rise to the top and harden. You can easily lift this off if you like or just melt it in when you warm up the broth again.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    When you strain it the fat will stay in it. Use a strainer as opposed to say...a coffee filter or paper towel or something of that ilk. The straining just gets rid of bits of skin and bone, etc. Once you put it in the fridge after straining, the fat will rise to the top after it's cooled. If it's a rusty color, it's oxidized and you should skim it off and throw it away. If it stays white, it's good and you can either choose to keep it with the broth, or skim it off and use it however you like. If you leave it, it will definitely add more flavor to the broth. If you choose to skim it off you can always freeze it (for a few months) to use another time since you have plenty of cooking fat at the moment. Congrats on your first batch!

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm also concerned about storing it and reheating it. Should I use the fridge method where I reheat it every 3rd day or whatever, or should I freeze most of it? And what is the best method of reheating? I've seen lots of posts discussing the harmful effects of reheating it too much (I guess they mean boiling?)

richard is offline Senior Member
    i think it can last 4 or 5 days in the fridge. If you plan on having it longer than that, freeze most of it and just keep what you can consume in the next 3 days.

If you freeze it in jars, leave some room as fluids expand upon freezing of course.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I keep mine stored in the fridge in a pot or big glass container, and just take out what I want, and heat that. I don't keep reheating and recooling the entire batch. So far the broth hasn't actually lasted longer than a few days so longer storage hasn't really been a problem

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I keep mine stored in the fridge in a pot or big glass container, and just take out what I want, and heat that. I don't keep reheating and recooling the entire batch. So far the broth hasn't actually lasted longer than a few days so longer storage hasn't really been a problem
    Yea, I'm thinking mine won't last too long, but I'm gonna be on the safe side and put half in the fridge and half in the freezer. I'm sure it would make a great base for some soups but to be honest it's so tasty by itself that I don't know if I even need to experiment with it.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I like to pour mine into containers to freeze - usually a mug sized container, so I can defrost and use either a single mug, or several to make soup etc. LOVE bone broth!!! I've started making it in a pressure cooker mostly now - I find it jells better. I ony use the slow cooker for broth if it is great big bones which won't fit in the pressure cooker!