Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a real beginner to excercise page

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member

a real beginner to excercise

not quite sure where to start other than walking, not fit enough to sprint yet.
    cant do squats or heavy lifting yet.
    any ideas for me?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Read Mark's PBF, gives ideas for all fitness levels. Add in sprinting once you feel able. But you could even work up to that by adding fast walking intervals into a walking program. You could try couch to 5k and do fast walking and regular walking as your 2 speeds.

what do you think of stair climbing. i could find several reasons a day at work to run up 4 floors?

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Stair climbing is great. I wouldn't even run, I would walk it. Run up a flight or two every few days as your sprint.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Why can't you lift anything?

Sent via A-10 Warthog

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Walk up the steepest hills you can find and walk up as fast as you can. Another option for "lifting" is to bring your backpack to the grocery store--on foot. Carry your groceries home. Or laundry or just put jugs of water in your backpack as you walk up those steep hills.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    "Heavy lifting" is a relative term. I'll bet those pink dumbbells are already too light for you.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Unless a medical condition is stopping you, anyone can do lifting - you don't need to start big. Work your way up. You don't just suddenly start being able to do lifting by doing something other than lifting. Same goes for squats. If you can only do 5, do 5. Next week do 8.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You don't even have to use weights. You can start with bodyweight calisthenics. There are lots of sites and programs to help beginners build up.

Fitness 666. Or try searching on youtube for "how to do a pushup", "squat tutorial", "bodyweight exercises", and other terms.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i cant do anything that destabilises the pelvic floor. 2 months ago I had surgery to remove a cancer which also removed 80% of my cervix and a large proportion of the vaginal muscles plus re constructive surgery and skin grafts to the fourchette, perineum and vulva. The last thing I need is a prolapse or damage the muscles that are still healing and have no strength yet
    I could use weights in my hands or feet while sitting I guess. squats and pushups i cant do either. neither can i swim because of the chemicals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast