Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a real beginner to excercise page 2

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Carbdodger,

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your surgery.

As far as exercise, I would say to stick with walking for now, given your circumstances. Could you maybe add stretching, something like Tai Chi or a gentle form of yoga? Of course these are just my suggestions, please consult with your doctor or a physical therapist first.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Its not as bad as it sounds, its healing well, the pains gone and a couple of days ago I found out there's no new growth but the good thoughts are welcome badkty22.
    I see a gynae physio as I can't do normal pelvic floor exercise yet and that's absolutely hilarious but laughings good for those muscles apparently.
    I've started thinking about exercise this weekend because I am starting to feel so much better, have so much more energy and the suns shining!
    I started walking the dog in the evenings 2 weeks ago, and last week added in a walk with her when i get home from work. this week I might add in the morning walk every other day. I'm wearing a pedometer at work so I can actively increase my paces and I walk to the park at lunchtime.
    I think I might do some arm and foot weights in the seated position too and build up from there
    I was watching Marks Video links (thanks teach2183) for exercise and think leaning push-ups could be a good start but will discus this with the physio next week.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-19-2013 at 10:45 AM.

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    so you can walk, right ?
    start with walkin till doc gives you ok to do more,
    by then, you'll be so bored walkin the rest will come naturally.

momrn is offline Member
    I put a vote in for T-Tapp. You can check it out online for free. You don't use anything but your own body resistance. There is just something about it that works for female bodies. It builds muscle, but pretty feminine muscles. it looks easy, but is quite intense. There are some other ladies on here that do it.

The best to you as you recover! It sounds like you've been through so much. Now you are in a good place to take care of yourself.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    i cant do anything that destabilises the pelvic floor. 2 months ago I had surgery to remove a cancer which also removed 80% of my cervix and a large proportion of the vaginal muscles plus re constructive surgery and skin grafts to the fourchette, perineum and vulva. The last thing I need is a prolapse or damage the muscles that are still healing and have no strength yet
    I could use weights in my hands or feet while sitting I guess. squats and pushups i cant do either. neither can i swim because of the chemicals
    All the more reason to get out there and walk.

I had a hysterectomy almost 10 years ago and my doctor told me to get walking as soon as possible. They had me walking the halls in the hospital even though I really wanted to punch them in the face for making me do it. When I got home I started with walking one block. Oh man was that horrible. By the end of my 6 week recovery period I was walking at least 5 miles a day. I don't think my doctor meant to do that much walking but it really felt like it helped me heal. I didn't vacuum until week 7 or 8 of my recovery and oh man, was that ever horrible! I felt like my insides were back to day one all over again! So yeah, I get it about not lifting any weights right now. Walking is the best thing you can do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    I was watching Marks Video links (thanks teach2183) for exercise and think leaning push-ups could be a good start but will discus this with the physio next week.
    I bet you could do wall push-ups without any problem. Go slow and be deliberate with each push. Work up to 3 sets of 50, then go down to 1 set of 10 against the kitchen table and start working back up to 3 sets of lots.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    yesterday I did about 8 miles, 4 short walks at about 1/2 mile 1 of about 1 mile and 2 longer walks of about 2 1/2 miles.
    I've done the same so far today and am adding another 2 mile a bit later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12