Thread: How important is grassfed and wild meat? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

How important is grassfed and wild meat?

Shop Now
    Has anyone noticed a difference eating grassfed/wild from not? Like can you attribute it specifically to the meat and not the lack of junk and processed oils?

Basically, this stuff is expensive! I have to wonder how necessary it is if you cut your refined oil/nut/processed junk consumption. I mean my grandparents lived to 86, and they'd been eating meat and fish from their supermarket their whole life...not to mention non-paleo. I don't think it was good genes either.

Also besides expense....the stuff tastes bad. Grassfed beef is overcooked easily and is usually tougher. Same with wild fish. Farm fish tastes juicier in my opinion.

Couldn't I just invest in cod liver oil and stick to paleo and have no fears about the "omega 6/3" ratio?

pollo_la is offline Member
    I am interested to hear what people have to say on this. It definitely is more expensive, but from what I understand there really is a BIG difference in the "health" of the meat. Yes, the flavor/texture does taste different... I know for myself I would adjust just fine though.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Cutting out refined seed oils and processed foods will have a bigger impact on your O3:O6 ratio than eating grass fed meat. Eat better quality meat when you can, but don't beat yourself up about eating CAFO meat. Do the best that your resources and budget allow.

Yes your grandparents at grocery store meat, but I bet they didn't always buy it from the grocery store. When I was a kid in the 70s, I remember going to the butcher regularly with my mom and/or grandmother. And historically, grocery store beef WAS usually grass fed...its only because of demand from the fast food industry that CAFO became the standard.

As for taste....you got some bad meat or a bad butcher! Grassfed beef is overcooked IF YOU OVERCOOK IT. It doesn't cook itself. Adjust your methods accordingly. Wild game will taste 'different' than conventional beef, obviously. The age of the animal, and the quality of the butchering process make a difference. We have 100% of our venison ground and made into hamburger, sausage and pepperoni. And we have most of our grassfed side of beef cut into roasts, steaks, stewing meat and very little hamburger.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    its worth searching Marks blog, there's a lot more to this site than the forum
    this is just one of his posts
    The Differences Between Grass-Fed Beef and Grain-Fed Beef | Mark's Daily Apple

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    CAFO chicken started in the 1950s and CAFO beef and pork in the 1970s. I don't know when farming fish started, though I'm sure I can google to find out.

I think you should do the best you can. Like anything else - we all cave and buy stuff on the cheap sometimes, like shoes at Payless, and then we figure out that they hurt and fall apart in the first big rain storm.

When I go to a grocery store now for mostly paper products, I am reminded how cheaply I ate a year ago. But then I remember why it's all so cheap - crappy feed, animals living in their own feces in small spaces, debeaked chickens, a government sanctioned acceptable level of pus in the dairy products from cows given BGH and antibiotics, bpa lined cans, etc.

I was dragged into the whole pastured/wild thing kicking and screaming because I am basically one of those people who squeezes a dollar 'til it screams. One day I just turned a corner: healthy food isn't expensive - unhealthy food is just cheap.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Pay the same amount, get less but of massively higher quality.

You dont need to eat tons of crap!

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, while I know about the nutritional differences, if it wasn't for the humane issue I probably wouldn't spend the extra money. I simply can no longer financially contribute to the torture of animals in the factory farming system. At least I avoid it as much as possible. I feed 4 animals a raw diet and cannot afford to pay pastured or grass fed prices for that and I occasionally have to buy conventional poultry necks and feet to have enough to make bone broth (for human and pet consumption).

I justify those exceptions by saying to myself that my first responsibility is to the health and welfare of my pets and the necks and feet are at least using parts of the whole bird that would probably be thrown away. But all the human members of my household eat pastured grassfed meat and organs otherwise. For me it's a moral issue and I'm trying to speak with my wallet as much as possible.

ETA: As to the taste for grassfed beef it seems to really vary in quality. I started buying online from US Wellness or Tendergrass Farms. TGF is good meat but the local ranch I get my beef from is hands down the best beef I've ever had. US Wellnesses beef is just meh IMO. Anyone in the LA area and looking for a good beef source I highly recommend Novy Ranches. I still buy pork products from US Wellness and the taste is so superior to conventional. No contest. I don't eat much poultry but I've never had a naturally raised bird from any source that wasn't hands down better than conventional chicken. So for beef the quality varies but all pastured pork and chicken, IMO, is superior. For lamb I get NZ lamb at Trader Joe's. I'm not impressed with their other meats but the lamb is excellent.
    Last edited by 0Angel0; 05-18-2013 at 01:03 PM.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I don't think CAFO beef will strike you dead but the good stuff isn't prohibitive either. At the very least look for no-hormone no-antibiotic beef from a single supplier that you can google. Grass-finished is nice but not mandatory. Rest assured nearly anything you get from a supermarket will be at least one notch up from whatever gets sold to chain restaurants and makers of canned soups, frozen dinners, etc.

The $20/lb. steaks definitely cause some sticker shock. I buy lots of fatty ground beef, shoulders, rumps, and occasional short ribs. A little braising and slow roasting can save a lot of cash and it's no less tasty, plus the leftover fat and bones are useful.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Ethically? Very. For health? Less, but, only depending on the cut of meat. The more fat it has, the worse CAFO meat is for you. So, you end up not saving too much because leaner cuts of meat are more expensive anyway. I agree that grass fed meat is crazy expensive, best to order in bulk or go to a farmers market. Or, just cut down on meat consumption(best option)
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Also besides expense....the stuff tastes bad. Grassfed beef is overcooked easily and is usually tougher. Same with wild fish. Farm fish tastes juicier in my opinion.

Couldn't I just invest in cod liver oil and stick to paleo and have no fears about the "omega 6/3" ratio?
    Sounds like your looking for a way out, freshly baked fluffy white bread and cupcakes also have their own appeal too.

The fact is that grass fed and wild game is healthier, it has a far higher nutrient density than farmed livestock which has been bred over the centuries for taste rather than nutrition.

The reality though is that even if all you do is cut out the processed foods and buy everything else from the supermarket you're still going to be twice as healthy, so the question really is how far can you afford to or do you want to go, personally I'm about 50:50 on grass fed vs conventional, would be great to go all wild game, but that situation hasn't presented itself to me yet.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"