Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foods for Osteoarthritis? page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Foods for Osteoarthritis?

Shop Now
    I've had osteo fairly severely in one knee since 1999, now in both (along with aches and pains in other joints on occasion.) It's been REALLY bad lately again, and I so don't want knee replacement surgery...so researching again.

I've been on Primal Blueprint for over 2 years (though still doing dairy and too many cashews!), and other than the osteo I feel SO much better.

Digging around on the web, much of the info I find is diametrically opposed to PB, which I am NOT giving up. Diet for osteo suggests no full fat dairy, lots of whole grains, etc.

So...please, any suggestions or current research?

I did a bit of gardening day before yesterday which probably accounts for this recent flareup, but it was bad enough I'm feeling a little desperate. Glad we didn't put the walker away after the last bad one...
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The things I gave up that accounted for all my arthritis-like pain were gluten, corn, buckwheat, oats, wine, and cooked dairy products (I can consume uncooked but pasteurized dairy products safely). I have bone spurs, which still bother me or limit me on occasion. But the inflammation and generalized pain are gone.

Drat, I've already given up most of that...wine only very seldom, when we go out. Where does cheese fit in your dairy picture? I'm trying to decide if I need to give up things like that, yogurt, kefir, etc...
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    At the moment I am not eating cheese, because it doesn't fit into my present weight loss protocol. However, when I permit it I may have an ounce occasionally. If I eat an ounce and want more, I know my body is craving protein, and I eat meat.

I do a lot of bone broth. I use hip and knee joints from wild game animals and throw it in the pressure cooker, along with any attached bone and muscle. My theory is to consume the part of the animal I am trying to heal in my body. All I know is it makes me feel good. I haven't given up dairy, and am happy to now find Kerryygold butter and cheese at Sam's Club. I need a good source of grass fed cream. All of my joints have given me problems for a number of years. Total hip replacement at age 46, my goal is no more surgeries!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    At the moment I am not eating cheese, because it doesn't fit into my present weight loss protocol. However, when I permit it I may have an ounce occasionally. If I eat an ounce and want more, I know my body is craving protein, and I eat meat.
    Good marker, yes! I need to cut back on cheese, because I plateau'd with the weight loss and then gained back about 5 lbs. Don't want that! It makes sense to me to choose a hard, sharp cheese, too...it's more fully digested the lactose, I suppose.
    Best--
    Kate

WildGrok is offline Junior Member
    Hi Kate:

this works for me:
    a thorough pass of foam roller (I have the rumble-roller, highly recommended) in the morning (while coffee brews) and in the night before going to bed. It really works. Also checkout EFT (emotional freedom technique), see link in Mercola's site.

Quote Originally Posted by WildGrok View Post
    Hi Kate:

this works for me:
    a thorough pass of foam roller (I have the rumble-roller, highly recommended) in the morning (while coffee brews) and in the night before going to bed. It really works. Also checkout EFT (emotional freedom technique), see link in Mercola's site.
    I'll have to Google that one, I don't know what a rumble roller is! I used my Thera-band a bit too enthusiastically this morning, I think...knees HURT. Might have been yesterday's gardening, though.

and yes, I know about EFT, just didn't occur to me it would help arthritis! I used to use it fairly religiously, but haven't for months...maybe I should try again, thanks!
    Best--
    Kate

My mail problem is that I'm sort of short on cartilage...just made another batch of bone broth!
    Best--
    Kate

WildGrok is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    I'll have to Google that one, I don't know what a rumble roller is! I used my Thera-band a bit too enthusiastically this morning, I think...knees HURT. Might have been yesterday's gardening, though.

and yes, I know about EFT, just didn't occur to me it would help arthritis! I used to use it fairly religiously, but haven't for months...maybe I should try again, thanks!
    what a coincidence: I use my theraband daily, I have a bad case of osteoarthritis in the right elbow (car accident more than 40 years ago, I am 61). Thanks to the theraband (I have the green and the blue) I can manage, do pull ups, push ups. The rumble-roller you can find it in amazon, it is a little expensive (like $69) but I should have bought it first instead of buying several of the others. I recommend the 31 inch blue color, it has the right density: not too soft not too hard - GoldiLocks densitiy :-)
    Also for knees: check out the Egoscue books in amazon: he has sequences of exercises (some of them not intuitive) that really work for several pains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast