Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly IS a good fasting blood sugar level? page

mdale2 is offline Member

What exactly IS a good fasting blood sugar level?

Primal Fuel
    Out of sheer curiosity, I started testing my blood sugar levels fasted (first thing in the morning) and also 1-2 hours postprandial.

Morning, fasted tested at 5 AM before workout - 65-70 range
    Postprandial (primal meal) - 75-85
    Postprandial (carby meal - white potatoes included) - 95-105
    For fun, 2 hrs after a piece of cake and ice cream - 106
    Morning after said piece of cake - 94

Is that normal or low for fasted blood sugar? That seems crazy low after the cake. I'm a bit of a nOOb at this.

those numbers are great, shows your pancreas is doing well and your insulin is being used well too. Your numbers 15 minutes after eating cake would probably be much higher, but for 2 hours that's good.

My morning BG is 80-85 and my husband who is on an insulin pump, is usually around 100-110.
    my Primal Journal: Journal

my FitDay: FitDay

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    Cw says normal fasting blood sugar levels are 70-120 mg/dL. My Latest fasting level was 77. I am no expert but your levels look normal to me.

mdale2 is offline Member
    Yeah that's most of the reason I raised the question - CW's recommended fasting levels are higher than mine normally are.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    WOW i cant believe your post cake level was so low! have a lot of people been tracking their blood suagr? i'd like to knwo what sets it off for some people. i read about physiological blood sugar spikes even in people who ate a rib eye and was intrigued at what the body can do blood sugar wise.

who all tracks and what are your results?

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    According to Web MD (I know its CW, but I don't see much about low blood sugar here)
    http://diabetes.webmd.com/how-sugar-affects-diabetes
    Fasting levels as low as 60 can be normal, and 2 hours after eating anything below 120 is good. Are you having any symptoms of hypoglycemia?
    http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/hypogly...topic-overview

mdale2 is offline Member
    I actually started testing this on account of something that happened when I gave blood.

Hm, the only time I've had a true hypoglycemic reaction was the last time I gave blood. Passed out. I now know I have to be more careful not only when giving blood to eat more carbohydrate, but also when I'm very active. I can get lightheaded if I eat too low of carbohydrate. Happened a couple weeks ago when I was out on a bike ride. I ate really low carb that day - less than 30g. Blech. Felt like crap.

I feel good around 50-90g/carb daily. Sugar makes me feel crummy but doesn't give a huge spike. The cake was the biggest spike I've ever had.

I also have fairly low blood pressure. I wonder if I'm one of those crazies that can tolerate a higher level of carbohydrate with few ill effects???

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Probably. I can. I have other issues....grain causes inflammation for me as measured by CRP but I can eat sugar sugar, carb, sugar and have perfect/low fasting and post-prandial blood sugars.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    True endogenous hypoglycemia is exceedingly rare and can be caused by an insulin-secreting tumor in the pancreas. (interestingly, the incidence of insulinomas is the same as people who surreptitiously inject themselves with insulin to get medical attention).

Each time I had a kid, I had to have one of those oral glucose tolerance tests. The first one is non-fasting, but you test 1 hour after a load of 50g dextrose (nasty Tang-like drink), my glucose was 77 with the first kid, and 82 with the second. If you fail the first test, you get a second one which is over 3 hours with a 100g dextrose load, and you start out fasting. I never had to go to a second test, fortunately.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    iirc, optimal fasting blood glucose is 75-85. Normal is <100.

K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast